Need Longer Wheel Stud Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of installing Posers rear disc brake conversion on my 1965 FJ40. After reading many of the forums I decided to install longer wheel studs to accommodate for the additional thickness of the disc assembly. I picked up a dozen Dorman 610–414 studs only to find that the knurling doesn’t match the original studs, it is much too course and does not fit in the axle hub. I tried the NAPA 641-1628 option that I found on this forum but found that it didn’t even come close. I’ve read that the Dorman 610-265 works but no one in town carries them.
Does anyone on this forum happen to know if the early model FJ40 axles have a different knurling pattern in the wheel stud holes then later models?

5145D882-012A-4D63-A99C-FEAA63ED0794.jpeg

OEM on the left and Dorman 610-414 on the right

FC32790D-C38B-4737-B98D-E5A041DF953C.jpeg

OEM on the left and NAPA 641-1628 on the right
The shoulder on the NAPA part doesn’t allow the stud to engage the knurled portion of the hole.
703317F7-E480-4E8C-905A-E0F6CC49204C.jpeg

You can see the damage done to the hole from trying to make the Dorman 610-414 fit.

E903C0D0-AEFA-4631-BB12-4E93E9FA7CED.jpeg

Well, I got on rockauto's website and looked up studs for a 78 and a 70 fj40 and they use the same studs. I could be wrong, but I don't think the axles stud holes had knurling in them b4 the stk stud was installed. Looking at the specs of the 2 dorman studs both have the same knurl diameter. The 414 knurl is 6.3mm long and the other is 10mm. I think I found stk was 8mm long and 14.22mm knurl diameter. The dormans were something like 14.36mm. I used the 414 studs when I replaced mine, but have not driven it yet. I'm sure they'll be fine. I replaced all my studs and lug nuts at the time, and price was a consideration. I purchased them at Summit Racing. Fyi.

Cost was a factor for me too. OEM are just crazy for lug studs and nuts. I used Dorman studs for the front of my 60 disc brake swap on my 40. Seemed like the diameter was right, but the spacing of the knurling was off a little. Didn't seem to pose a problem at all when we pressed them in. They didn't like to be pulled in with a lug nut, so I abandoned that quickly and went to use my buddy's press. Easy as pie, once we got the support figured out.

I pulled mine with the lug nuts.

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, the knurled part of the lug doesn’t have to match...... the knurled portion of the hub will be deformed to fit the new pattern when the new stud is pressed/pulled into place?

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, the knurled part of the lug doesn’t have to match...... the knurled portion of the hub will be deformed to fit the new pattern when the new stud is pressed/pulled into place?

Yep, pretty much.
When I looked into replacing the studs, I did alot of searching and couldn't find a better alternative.

Check out post #3

Nevermind, same part...

I will verify size, but I have used these in a semi float 80 and a full float 80. I believe they will work in a 60 or 40 semi float as well.
IMG_20181207_114658.jpg

So I’m trying to pull the new studs into the hub using a 1/2” impact wrench. All it seems to be doing is mashing the knurled portion of the new lug.... Anybody have any tips, tricks or suggestions?
674498AB-EA24-442A-AE89-840C9280348F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom