Need help reversing shackle reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding to lcwizard's very brief comments above, I believe you can reverse springs (rear end of the front spring mounted onto the front spring shackle/hanger) when using stock springs because stock springs do not have "anti-dive control" built into the design. If using aftermarket springs with anti-dive control built-in you'd have much more nose dive on braking if you reversed the spring end to end. Anti-dive control is recognized by the back half of the front springs having more or longer leafs than the front half (as in Toyota 4WD mini truck front springs).

I'd add one thing...If given the choice I always cut and turn a 40 axle for 4" or better. The stock pinion on a 40 sits right at 0 degrees.
Turning the pinion up to about 4~6% helps tremendously, which is, by the way , the stock 60series pinion angle. A Driveshaft with a Toyota double cardon up top and the 80 slip at the pinion is a good choice. The Spicer 1350 double cardon only has 11deg of deflection and the 1310 is a weaker joint. Combining parts from the 1310 DC and 1350 lets you create a 40+deg DC but most driveshaft shops don't understand the concept. Tom Woods does seem to
have the hi angle DCs on their menu.

Just did this operation this past winter.

20170124_102729.jpg

20170124_124356.jpg

20170128_132920.jpg

Ruff Stuff?

Guess an OE appearing option is out the door, anyway. Sure this is burned through frame.

Guess a ‘kit’ is also a pipe dream…..

Tired of the handling woes and ride. See no way to correct BUT to reverse the reverse, but sure looks like a helluva hassle.

E7B6CC29-C8E7-44BA-A810-E4B5C806B34C.jpeg

44AAB0FE-F673-4419-82F8-C1F1AFF5E83B.jpeg

Try longer shackles , it will correct the caster if it is the cause of you bad handling.
I have the old style perches like you with 3.5" bolt to bolt shackles , this 40 drive like a dream with one finger , with old 35x13.5 tires on the neglected road of quebec

Guess an OE appearing option is out the door, anyway. Sure this is burned through frame.

Guess a ‘kit’ is also a pipe dream…..

Tired of the handling woes and ride. See no way to correct BUT to reverse the reverse, but sure looks like a helluva hassle.

View attachment 2911531

View attachment 2911532
Go get an alignment check first b4 getting into it. See what all the readings are currently. May be a easy fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom