Need HELP - Lost Brake Boster on Vacation with Family (Moosehead Lake Maine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, never had to ask for help on the road before, but I'm 10 hrs from home in CT and have lost my brake booster slowly over the last day. The nearest Toyota dealer is 2hrs away and can't get the booster until Tuesday! I have tools and could swap a new or used one in at Moosehead. Does anyone in Maine have a parts rig? Mine is a 1996 FZJ-80 with 208K on it. I could drive south to pick up a part with my brothers rig over the weekend (July 20-22) if needed. Plan B was to order the factory booster on Monday $606 and have it overnighted to Bangor ME. This neck of the country is not so Toyota friendly as there is only 1 dealership in a 2hr radius. Also, there is very limited Wi-Fi so I do not have real time access to log on. I am heading South from Baxter St Park via the dirt roads to the southern moosehead lake area to meet my family at their camp. If you are close to the area call my cell and I can try to reach you. There is a town called Greenville that has wifi at the country store from what I've been told. Havn't been there yet.

Thanks for any help fellow mudders.

Eric H
Cell 203-506-0860 (wouldn't normally post a number but I am in a jam).

Thanks, I will try and call him now. Is Biddeford in Maine or Mass?

Biddeford is in deep southern Maine. Mainefj40 is much closer to you (north of bangor) if he is home. He works on the road but I'll ping him and see. I used to live close by but I'm in SF now and a little to far to help.

Sorry, he's still out of state. My cousin has a garage in Hermon Maine just outside of bangor but part availability is going to be the issue.

I drove mine without boost for a little while. Makes it tougher, but I can't think how it would hurt anything. Was just more careful of stopping distance and whatnot. Someone with different opinon/more knowledge might chime in.

After I got the new booster on, I was slamming on the brakes everywhere for a couple days.

I have a 94 parts rig with a brake booster. I live about 20 minutes off exit 32 on 95 in ME. I left my cell number on your phone.
Ken.

Thanks to all here on the MUD forum and Land Tank for getting Ken and I sync'd up. I got the part from Ken via my sister who was driving up to the lake and passing Kens place on her way. Wow, what a great MUD story and testimony to the network of cruiser heads willing to support the cause. I did want to post up how I got the brake booster installed.

To remove the booster I had to make a dent about 1/4" deep at 12 o'clock on the edge of the booster can. I then rotated the can after unbolting it all including the brake master cylinder, 90 deg CCW. This allowed the can to come past the intake with a little effort! There is no way without doing this dent other than taking the intake off or rotating the motor. After removal I drilled a hole in the bad booster where I made the dent to see if I would compermise the new good part by making the same dent prior to installing. No issue as it is mostly an air chamber about 1" above the diaphram. You would not want to make a crack in the metal so I used a socket to make a nice rounded dent. The wall of the can is about 18 gage metal so it is quite durable. I did not have to remove any brake line from the master cyl either. Plug and play install. So, I guess some times you can fix it with a hammer!

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom