Need some recommendations on Brake/Knuckle parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some recommendations on what parts direction to go on two major projects on my 96 RHD FZJ80. The Two major projects are Brakes and the classic knuckle rebuild.

For brakes, planning on rotors, pads, and one caliper. Any recommendations? While I can do the OEM from Cruiser Outfitters, with shipping that $650 bill is unenjoyable, but willing to do it for the best, lasting rotors. I've seen some here discuss Powerstop rotors, any difference? Found a good deal on them, but I don't want to go for a good deal if I'm just putting crap on. If there's another brand or type recommended I'm all ears!

For the knuckle rebuild. So far there's no clicking from the Birfields, but the inner seal is done for (an annoying find on a dif. fluid change). I was planning to just get the knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters, maybe the bearing addition just to have. However, it is better to get new Birfs, swap them, or keep them as they are since I haven't heard any signs of wear?

Appreciate the recommendations!

I'll be a bit of the outlier here since I do OEM on almost everything on the cruiser except in this case. I went for Centric cryo treated rotors for longer life and EBC green stuff brakes. Haven't need to replace a caliper yet but I've seen a lot of people use napa eclipse with good success. I myself have used Napa calipers on a few vehicles now and the quality is quite good, especially with the lifetime warranty. Pretty sure they take the cores from people that remove the OEM (and other brands aswell), refurb them and call them their product line of remans, so there's chance you might get an OEM caliper that was rebuilt by Napa.

Def right with going Cruiser outfitters for the axle rebuild. Kurt and his people are nothing short of awesome of deal with. If this is your first time tearing into the knuckles (and possibly ever on the vehicle), you never know what you might find. The cruiser outfitters rebuild kit is very comprehensive with bearings that gives a good piece of mind that the birfs/axle area will last (with proper lubrication and servicing). I bought the full kit and still found things that I'm glad I got/other items that needed to be replaced (new spindle due to one of the lock nuts being welded to the threads, trunion bearings that showed signs of rusting).
I didn't mess with the birfs since there was no clicking or any other signs of needing to be replaced, soaked them overnight in diesel to clean out the grease, repacked them and off I went when I had 225K on the odometer.

How many miles on your RHD FZJ80?

For rotors and pads just get the better quality parts from any reputable vendor.

I've also had good luck with NAPA high end pads and calipers up front. In back, I went with all OEM via partsouq.

I got the axle kit from Kurt @cruiseroutfit but I went with Centric rotors and EBC pads (IIRC I got the 100 series).

If you don't have access to a spindle nut socket, make sure to have that added to your order. Most parts stores won't carry it and when it is disassembled isn't the time to realize this. I would suggest getting the one listed for the rear (only difference between front and rear is there are tab cutouts on the rear one) so you can use it in both axles.

Also, watch videos on the axle rebuild and get familiar what to expect (I am partial to OTRAAM videos as he is very descriptive and the videos are quality). If you don't already have the FSM I would download that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom