Need Advice on 1989 FJ62 Shifting Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!
I just recently purchased a FJ62 with 200,000 miles on it from a friend and have been driving it for about two weeks. It was shifting fine until I was going up a steep grade on the highway where I had to push the gas pedal all the way down. Ever since then the shifting as been very rough and at high RPM's. It won't shift out of first until about 3000rpm and into second at about 3500rpm. Frequently I have to accelerate the car quickly to get it to shift, and it can sometimes be rough. I took it to a local Toyota Mechanic and they found small metal shavings in the transmission and changed the fluids, but it still shifting very high in rpms. Any advice? Thanks!

Adjust kickdown cable and verify correct fluid level.

Can you confirm you see the torque converter lock up when you let off the gas on the freeway once you have gotten up to speed? You should see the tachometer go down about 200 RPMS when the torque converter locks up in 4th.

If 1st gear and reverse are having problems shifting them the trans is going out. 1st and reverse share the same clutch packs.

Some debris in the reusable metal strainer in the pan is normal but "metal shavings" doesn't sound good.

Thanks for the reply Randy!
The torque converter does lock up and rpms do go down when up to speed. The shift from 1st to 2nd is mostly smooth but I just have to get the RPM's up for it to shift, reverse works completely fine.

How do I go about adjusting the kick down cable? Sorry I am very new to this.

Thanks for the help!

You need to download the factory service manual. If you cannot find a link searching message me and I'll get you a link to DL off of my dropbox. The FSM outlines the process.

Thanks randy!! So I look under the hood and throttle cable looks good but the other cable going to the transmission is super lose. It the one with red end on it.
181629F3-1A51-4BE8-94E6-2740DEAD45F8.jpeg

That's your kickdown cable. Something is amiss. Read up on the adjustment procedure.

...It was shifting fine until I was going up a steep grade on the highway where I had to push the gas pedal all the way down.

In addition to cable being too loose as previously mentioned, next time you're driving up a steep grade just manually downshift out of drive into 3rd, or 2nd if need be.

The cable may be broken or stuck inside the sleeve somewhere. Mine was. Shifting was way off!
Replaced and adjusted cable, and BINGO! Back to normal, even crisper, shifting.

Your kickdown cable is way too loose, that's your red flag. Try adjusting or replace if needed.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I have a Toyota mechanic looking at the kick down cable now. I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Unless your Toyota mechanic is old or very experienced, get him the FSM pages to use to properly adjust the cable.

Thanks Steve! They have a guy in the shop who just works on older land cruisers, Tacoma’s, and 4 runners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom