South American spec 1989 FJ62

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Threads
10
Messages
102
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Hello, im wondering if anyone here owns a carb'd 3F FJ62 like I do. I hate to create a whole thread but maybe it can become constructive down the line for folks in my shoes.

I am having an issue locating parts, decals and stickers specifically for my vehicle. Im wondering if anyone has come across these problems for their vehicle and also if many of the parts, stickers and decals for the North American spec FJ62 can be used interchangeably. I imagine a lot can be. If someone else has had these issues and has a thread going please refer me to that and ill delete this one. Some examples:

Decals and stickers...I can only seem to find those for North American spec EFI Fj62's and older model FJ60's that came with 2F.
Alternator/Starter/Distributor for a 3F FJ62. - If you're catching a pattern my entire electrical system needs a rebuild and upgrade if possible to add auxiliary power.
Desmogging a 3F - Would it be essentially the same process as the 2F? They don't seem to have that many differences.

I have found some Australian vendors that do supply for my car but am running into some that won't ship...either down here to the Embassy or even to the US to family that could then ship down to me.

I have come across some great US vendors and fabricators that have been awesome so far and helpful...but I will need more.
 
Your post is a little hard to follow.

From what I can tell, you’re looking for decals, an alternator, a distributor, and a starter. Have you done a part search yet? I’ve never had any trouble sourcing those items for my 3Fs.

Decals are easy to source from Australia. Shipping is expensive, but I’ve never had an issue getting them sent to the U.S.

Could you share a photo of your engine bay? I wasn’t aware that South American–spec 62s had emissions requirements. Are you sure you’re not just seeing normal vacuum lines?
 
Your post is a little hard to follow.

From what I can tell, you’re looking for decals, an alternator, a distributor, and a starter. Have you done a part search yet? I’ve never had any trouble sourcing those items for my 3Fs.

Decals are easy to source from Australia. Shipping is expensive, but I’ve never had an issue getting them sent to the U.S.

Could you share a photo of your engine bay? I wasn’t aware that South American–spec 62s had emissions requirements. Are you sure you’re not just seeing normal vacuum lines?
Apologies if im all over the place. I tried to keep it fairly straight forward. Yep. Ill add those fotos below.

IMG_2695.webp


IMG_2696.webp


IMG_2700.webp


IMG_2701.webp


IMG_2702.webp
 
Nice looking engine bay. Looks pretty much like mine, minus a clutch booster.

If you’ve got a VIN, frame or model number and you want to DM me what you’re looking for I might be able to help.
 
Oddly enough. No Vin. But the Vin plate does have frame, motor and chassis number. I checked inside of the driver side door and no dice. None of my paperwork has it either.

IMG_2711.webp


image.webp
 
When you talk about a smog system, are you referring to the cylindrical assembly which has a hose running to the carburettor? That looks like an LPG system to me.

Try joining the 60 Series Australia FB group. Australia only got the 3F in the FJ62, so lots of knowledge there.
 
When you talk about a smog system, are you referring to the cylindrical assembly which has a hose running to the carburettor? That looks like an LPG system to me.

Try joining the 60 Series Australia FB group. Australia only got the 3F in the FJ62, so lots of knowledge there.
Yes, I am. And thank you for the suggestion I’m going to do just that and read,
 
I have a somewhat similar 60 Series, global market spec (i.e. not JDM, European or North America) from SE Asia. It's a 1989 BJ60RG-KRC so a very similar spec to yours. Mine was I believe the most basic spec of a 60 Series, so:
-4 speed manual
-no radio.stereo, tachometer, clock, dash light dimmer or cigarette lighter socket
-no heater or AC
-rear fold down jump seats
-40 Series type door straps instead of moulded handles
-front drum brakes
-swing out back doors
-one piece rear bumper
-no rear seat belts

The previous owner upgraded it to 5 speed and front disc brakes, and I have added tachometer, clock, cigarette lighter socket, heater and AC, but found it to be a great blank canvas to build a 60 up to my own spec, and it doesn't have the things I really wouldn't want in the car like electric windows, sunroof, rear heater, slushbox etc.

Is yours a similar basic spec?
 
Yup.

SA trucks are total fücking shǐtshows.

Good luck homie.
So after a full tear down and months of work we came to a good news/bad news scenario. Good news first, the car itself had minimal rust, thank goodness and needed really very small bits of repair and steel. Also, very little odd overseas shenanigans were done overall and the car itself had very little damage. So good luck for me on that end. The bad news, the car was purchased by a private protective services company shortly after it was imported to Colombia from Japan in 1989 and was quickly converted to a "bulletproof" car. I knew the windows were bullet proof but what i did not expect was an old Kevlar webbing that lined the ceiling. I was both impressed, mystified and horrified. So...the majority of this project has been reversing the ballistic modifications to the car, more dramatically, the windows and doors. They were all slightly widened to allow for the thicker glass, so all the windows and doors had to be fixed to allow for standard glass. The ceiling was easy, we are actually keeping the Kevlar webbing as its in good shape, doesn't create any issues and actually doubles as insulation and sound dampening. Also, removing it may create a bigger issue altogether. But we inspected for rust and damage and found none. So we good there. Otherwise, the car is doing well and we are at its final stages. Since constantly uploading pictures has been a pain I created an IG for the car project: @penelopeblue89 so follow along if you or anyone else likes.
 
Yup.

SA trucks are total fücking shǐtshows.

Good luck homie.


You should have seen the Saudi Cruiser that was in here recently, death trap.

Cheers
 
You should have seen the Saudi Cruiser that was in here recently, death trap.

Cheers
Im always blown away at the amount of variations around the world. I have seen so many now down here in Colombia. There are, legitimately, some beautifully restored cars down here. But....damn...there are some absolute s***boxes.
 
... and was quickly converted to a "bulletproof" car. I knew the windows were bullet proof but what i did not expect was an old Kevlar webbing that lined the ceiling. I was both impressed, mystified and horrified. So...the majority of this project has been reversing the ballistic modifications to the car, more dramatically, the windows and doors. They were all slightly widened to allow for the thicker glass, so all the windows and doors had to be fixed to allow for standard glass. The ceiling was easy, we are actually keeping the Kevlar webbing as its in good shape, doesn't create any issues and actually doubles as insulation and sound dampening.
Wow, that sounds kind of awesome.. Need pics of these ballistic mods.
 
We've already torn it down significantly, but ill upload some pictures of the old glass, the window spacing that we had to repair and the kevlar that ill be pulling away slightly once we do the new headliner and insulation.
 
View attachment 4221277Welcome to the South American club - dropped the carbed 3fe - v8 games coming soon - might have some of those stickers - will gander this eve

View attachment 4221280
Im already eyeing a 2UZ swap. Overland Cruisers makes an adapter for the H55F. But...I should really just enjoy my ride fully restored first. But im also obsessing over it slight.
 
Back
Top Bottom