NATO tow hook ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

do a search for firefighting trucks or airplane towing pics, that looks pretty official. But surely there must be pics of UN vehicles out there in Africa, Middle East etc, no?

I bought a new full size Montero/Pajero as a company car some years back and as a full size SUV for the world market it had these same 4 mounting holes in a crossmember and came with a factory cast iron loop mounted there. It is a standard to have something there for various light duty uses in many countries. However, for heavy towing you'll find that in these same countries there is a completely different setup. This mounting location is inherently weak compared to the real recovery points any large SUV comes with that are on the tips of the frames front and rear.

DougM

But surely there must be pics of UN vehicles out there in Africa, Middle East etc, no?

that ´s what I thought...but I didn´t find any

This mounting location is inherently weak compared to the real recovery points any large SUV comes with that are on the tips of the frames front and rear.

I know, don´t want to do heavy pulling with it, just a small trailer.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually have a manual or any real data from Toyota that the pintle mount is not legal or rated in the U.S. or that it is rated in other countries?

According to my U.S. 1993 FZJ80 Owner's manual, pg113, "Hitches":

"Use only a weight carrying hitch designed for the total trailer weight. Toyota does not recommend using a weight distribution (load equalizing) hitch."

I would say that a pintle hitch is a "weight carrying hitch"

"The hitch must be bolted securely to the vehicle frame and installed according to the hitch manufacturer's instructions."

I would say mine is "bolted securely to the vehicle frame and installed according to the hitch manufacturer's instructions"

Picture.jpg

NOTICE:
Do not use an axle mounting hitch as it may cause damage to the axle housing, wheel bearings, wheels and/or tires."

It does specify not to use this:
wdnumlinks_Full.jpg

Or Axle mounted hitches that must be so bad that I can't seem to locate an image of them for cars or trucks. Just ATVs...
s7_520919_imageset_01

If pintles were so bad, they surely would have mentioned them.

Dave

Does anyone actually have a manual or any real data from Toyota that the pintle mount is not legal or rated in the U.S. or that it is rated in other countries?

According to my U.S. 1993 FZJ80 Owner's manual, pg113, "Hitches":

"Use only a weight carrying hitch designed for the total trailer weight. Toyota does not recommend using a weight distribution (load equalizing) hitch."

I would say that a pintle hitch is a "weight carrying hitch"

"The hitch must be bolted securely to the vehicle frame and installed according to the hitch manufacturer's instructions."

I would say mine is "bolted securely to the vehicle frame and installed according to the hitch manufacturer's instructions"

Picture.jpg

NOTICE:
Do not use an axle mounting hitch as it may cause damage to the axle housing, wheel bearings, wheels and/or tires."

It does specify not to use this:
wdnumlinks_Full.jpg

Or Axle mounted hitches that must be so bad that I can't seem to locate an image of them for cars or trucks. Just ATVs...
s7_520919_imageset_01

If pintles were so bad, they surely would have mentioned them.

Dave

Don't worry it will not bust . The rear bumper is the same as a weight carrying hitch. as for the load the truck can carry.

The rear crossmember is welded to the frame and will not just come off.. Mine has a small bend in it from being rear ended and I can tell you it is tough .The body shop used a 5 ton jack to try to bend it back and it does not move.
Use you pintel hitch and not worry about it.
Of course the USA owners manual says not too,, every thing in the USA is dummied down.

If this guy can pull a car with his motor cycle you can pull a trailer with your bumper any day. 80's all over the world do it every day.
24bogux.jpg

For clarification, the pintle hook is not in fact attached to the frame. It is attached to a crossmember than connects the frames, and this is why it is not recommended in the US where SUV owners regularly tow campers the size an weight that are simply not seen elsewhere in the world.

When they say frame, it means the two longitudinal frames.

DougM

For clarification, the pintle hook is not in fact attached to the frame. It is attached to a crossmember than connects the frames, and this is why it is not recommended in the US where SUV owners regularly tow campers the size an weight that are simply not seen elsewhere in the world.

When they say frame, it means the two longitudinal frames.

DougM

that is a good point but if I read the book correctly you can tow the same weight with it as the frame mounted hitch.
Add a frame mounted hitch does not increase the towing capacity.
And I would think a slide in receiver may move your toung back farther then the pintal and there putting more leverage and down force on the rear.

The way I understand the way the towing reads is if you tow more then the pintal hitch can hold by adding a frame mounted hitch you still can not tow any more.

But if I was going to do towing something sorta heavy I would go with the receiver frame mounted just for the range of hight adjustment you can get in receivers .
But I know you can tow a 100000 lbs semi with the bumper mounted pintal . I saw it done with a 80 but could not get the photo in time.
Also rear corssmember is not some flimsy metal its thick and attched good. Looks to been made to use as place to tow with.
And he said a small light trailer not a 30' travel trailer.

I will look for some owners manauls for the non us spect 80 I see in cambodia next week and see what they say about it.

.....Of course the USA owners manual says not too......

I just quoted from the U.S. manual. It does say specifically not to use a weight distributing or axle mounted hitch. Nothing about pintle hooks. If it were a potential problem, they would have stated so.

You always hear "It's not legal here in the US", well, cite the literature. It's not true just because you read it on teh internets....

I want a Toyota engineer to tell us why "it is too weak". I want to see a statute that states that it is "not legal"

Dave

There is no way I would trust the crossmember with pushing (reversing uphill, front end collision, or braking hard) or pulling alot of weight.

The definition of weight distributing is subjective out of context. If you plan on carrying any significant amount of weight, safely, you need to have a rigid class III hitch mounted directly to or into the frame. I have seen receivers mounted in reinforced crossmembers that I would trust as class III. But the stock, unreinforced crossmember is not designed for heavy duty towing - no way. Heavy weight has to be distributed widely to prevent twisiting, bending, breaking, and busting bolts.

If the weight is truly distributed well then the issue should be whether your suspension can carry the weight or your drivetrain can pull it. I would say that the stock crossmember might be safe as long as the stock suspension isn't stressed. If on the other hand you have an upgraded suspension as many around here do then one could find themselves in a situation where the crossmember is over stressed even though the truck doesn't look like it is working too hard.

I have seen bent 80 crossmembers. Without reinforcement I would not even be comfortable using the stock crossmember center as a recovery point in many situations.

Last edited:
If you plan on carrying any significant amount of weight, safely, you need to have a rigid class III hitch mounted directly to or into the frame.

no doubt, nobody argueing against that ;)

for heavy towing I want to use a rigid framemounted hitch, but because of the cabin mounts we have to modify the hitch (still on the to do list..) I found the Westfalia type, you can take it off with just 4 bolts. I will use that if we have to tow a trailer to get another Cruiser :D or somthing heavy like that. But I do´t want to have that hitch mounted all the time regarding the weight of it and the decreased clearance.
For daily use I just have to tow a small trailer once in a while and a small boat trailer just a few meters. I am shure the crossmember will stand that. Toyota Japan approves 450kg, the military / UN uses it towing 750kg trailers ...

for heavy duty recovery we use the frame mounted hooks, for that reason we bolted a second one on the other frame end too

this discussion is nice and importend but please don´t forget the pics of miilitary / UN / NGO J80 with pintle on crossmember :hillbilly:

If you plan on carrying any significant amount of weight, safely, you need to have a rigid class III hitch mounted directly to or into the frame.
no doubt, nobody argueing against that ;)

It kind of sounded like maybe some were. But, just to be safe, nobody should think that because Toyota put mounting holes on the crossmember means that Toyota intended for folks to tow their heavy trailer with a hitch mounted to the crossmember.

The pic I posted above shows the Toyota Pintle, we have a DixonBate wich can rotate. We use the VarioBlock System to use Pintle, tow-ball, winch or nothing to have space for the door to swing open..
1871402.jpg

1871404.jpg

@thisilldefend, pics would be great. :bounce:

Hallo Sönke,

I'm interested in the VarioBlock system that you mention above. I can barely read "Rockinger" on the photos and have googled "Rockinger Varioblock" and also Vario Block but only find a few sites. One or two in French (which I don't read) and a couple in German (which I can read). Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen.

Anyway, if you know of a website that sells the system and/or can post some photos and description of exactly what you have, that would be most appreciated. Vielen Dank!

I'm living in England and often on the Continent so buying directly from Deutschland isn't a problem.

I just quoted from the U.S. manual. It does say specifically not to use a weight distributing or axle mounted hitch. Nothing about pintle hooks. If it were a potential problem, they would have stated so.

You always hear "It's not legal here in the US", well, cite the literature. It's not true just because you read it on teh internets....

I want a Toyota engineer to tell us why "it is too weak". I want to see a statute that states that it is "not legal"

Dave

Im with you I sure its good for any thing you would tow with it.
But next time Im in Japan I will ask them.

According to the member this is a picture from the owners manual.

attachment.php

Notice it has the wording "vehicle being towed" not recovered.

It came from this thread about the oem pto/electric winch.

I've also seen the rear rating posted by Toyota at 350kg, or about 780lbs, obviously intended for a small off road trailer. Which a pintle allows more trailer movement with uneven terrain over the typical ball hitch.

I've pulled a 20" boat a few times without issue and also used the pintle to pull a burried Chevy 1500 truck out of some deep sand. The issue is that the bolts for the pintle attach to the outter skin of the crossmember. The worst failure would be for the bolts to pull through, otherwise there isn't much possiblity for frame damage.

I'm interested in the VarioBlock system that you mention above. I can barely read "Rockinger" on the photos and have googled "Rockinger Varioblock" and also Vario Block but only find a few sites. One or two in French (which I don't read) and a couple in German (which I can read). Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen.

I bought it here:
Wechselsystem Rockinger Varioblock Basisplatte ohne Wechselplatte

be shure to get the right size for Cruiser / Rover

Rockinger VARIOBLOC

another possibility

Thanks Sönke. I know that I'm partially hijacking your thread and not helping you very much. Having lived and worked in Detuschland, I completely understand your issue with TÜV.

Can you help me just a bit more please? Here is a copy from one of the links that you provided:

Diese Seiten arbeiten mit JavaScript und erfordern mindestens den Netscape Navigator 2.0 .
Sollten Sie diese Nachricht dennoch sehen, haben Sie vielleicht JavaScriptausgeschaltet (Bearbeiten-Einstellungen-Erweitert-JavaScript aktivieren)

Wechselplattensysteme:
variobloc01.jpg
Rockinger VARIOBLOC Adapter
für variable Kupplungssysteme.

variobloc02.jpg

Rockinger
Hakenkupplung Modellreihe 31

variobloc03.jpg

Kupplungskugel

variobloc04.jpg

Rockinger
Bolzenkupplung
Typ 243 U 115 E

Bestell-Nr.:
170600 Basisplatte, Wechselplatte u. Schutzkappe Lochbild 83 x 56 mm
170630 Basisplatte, Wechselplatte u. Schutzkappe Lochbild 85 x 45 mm
170632 Zusatz-Wechselplatte Lochbild 83 x 56 mm
170634 Zusatz-Wechselplatte Lochbild 85 x 45 mm

Irrtum, technische Änderung und Lieferbarkeit vorbehalten

I'm assuming that you need to buy the Varioblock Adapter shown in the first photo. That mounts to the LC. Is that the item number 170600 or 170630? If so, which size fits your 80?

Do you then purchase the Zusatz-Wechselplatte (in correct size: either 170632 or 170634) and bolt your ball hitch or your pintle hitch to this plate? I'm assuming this connects to the Varioblock adapter? How does it connect? Is it some type of 1/4 or 1/2 quick turn connection? Did you buy one of these plates for each of your hitches?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom