NATO tow hook ?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

According to the member this is a picture from the owners manual.....

Great lead. I PM'd him about scanning specific information for us as it pertains to this thread.

Dave

Hey,

you need the Basisplatte matching your bolt pattern of the car (Cruiser and Rover is the same, Mercedes G wagon, VW is the oter size, you have to measure....:wrench::hillbilly: I forgott)

then you need the Wechselplatte matching the bolt pattern of the hitch / pintle you want to use
the Schutzkappe is what you see in the pic of our crossmember , you can put it on the Basisplatte when no hitch / pintle is mounted.

If you want to swap between towball and pintle or winch you have to get a Wechselplatte for each thing you want to fix....

Thanks again Sönke. I finally found their corporate website and I was very impressed with the possibilities.

For anyone that cares, you basically mount the block (with optional protective cover) on your 80 which looks like the one in the photo in post #15. You then buy an attachment mating plate and bolt this to your whatever (Pintle hitch, etc.). There is a small lever on the block that pulls up and then you push the mating plate on at a 45 degree angle and twist it into place. Then close the lever to lock. This way you can keep your hitches inside and only bring them out to play (at a moment's notice and with no tools) when you need them!

I am going to do some further digging and will start a new thread but can anyone tell me if the center to center bolt holes are 83mm x 56mm or 85mm x 45mm? Also, can you verify that the holes are 11mm?

I think the block thing is a good idea . need to find a US suppler.
I will also look in ASIA next week I will be there all next month.
I want one too.

Soenke,

as requested.

IMAGE_051.jpg

IMAGE_050.jpg

I need to get mine fitted, as I have a Wolf spec Sanky to pick up. Just haveing trouble getting M12 x 1.25 cap head bolts around here.

Paul

What's with the red lamps on the tailgate? Rear fogs? Are those factory?

Dave

Yes Dave all the UK spec LCs came with them fitted.

Paul

Paul, are you screwing into the tapped holes in the crossmember?

IIRCC the bolts are smaller than M12. The thread is fine also.

Paul, are you screwing into the tapped holes in the crossmember?

IIRCC the bolts are smaller than M12. The thread is fine also.

I asked for clarification on the center to center hole dimensions and thread size in post 43 but no one has replied. I think they are 11mm but need someone to verify as I'm about 6000 miles from my 80.

Brett, the 2 holes with captive nuts are M12 X 1.25 pitch. They need to be 70mm long. The 2 bottom holes can be any M12 bolts as they do not have captive nuts.

WarDamnEagle, Its dark here right now, but I can get you the centres of the holes tomorrow. If you are looking for NATO hitches there are 2 sizes. The smalles ones are rated to 5t I think and then there are the larger ones that they use on Lorrys. Now the smaller ones can come with 2 bolt patterns. The most common ones are the ones that fit the 80 series.

Paul

Right, just been out and the hole centres are 86mmx44mm. Same on the rear cross member of the 80 series.

Paul

I'm pretty sure that 4 bolt Pintle hooks are a standard bolt pattern. 3-3/8x1-3/4. I didn't have to make any adjustments on mine. Looking online at different suppliers of pintle hooks, I can't see any different specs on the mounting pattern.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks again Sönke. I finally found their corporate website and I was very impressed with the possibilities.

For anyone that cares, you basically mount the block (with optional protective cover) on your 80 which looks like the one in the photo in post #15. You then buy an attachment mating plate and bolt this to your whatever (Pintle hitch, etc.). There is a small lever on the block that pulls up and then you push the mating plate on at a 45 degree angle and twist it into place. Then close the lever to lock. This way you can keep your hitches inside and only bring them out to play (at a moment's notice and with no tools) when you need them!

I am going to do some further digging and will start a new thread but can anyone tell me if the center to center bolt holes are 83mm x 56mm or 85mm x 45mm? Also, can you verify that the holes are 11mm?

Right, just been out and the hole centres are 86mmx44mm. Same on the rear cross member of the 80 series.

Paul

Thanks Paul. That isn't one of the Variobloc choices but I guess it's close enough to 85mm x 45mm. Not sure about the 11mm vs. 12mm holes. I'll have to look at their website again. The holes in the Variobloc base plate aren't threaded but you still can't shove a M12 X 1.25 through an 11mm hole!

Thanks Paul. That isn't one of the Variobloc choices but I guess it's close enough to 85mm x 45mm. Not sure about the 11mm vs. 12mm holes. I'll have to look at their website again. The holes in the Variobloc base plate aren't threaded but you still can't shove a M12 X 1.25 through an 11mm hole!

I will have another look in a bit as its a lot lighter here now.

Paul

I have one on my lx450. Works fine for my m416 trailer. I do have the factory hitch that I have used for large trailers. The factory hitch is a better option for any heavy towing.

Personally I would not use it for recovery, frame mounted hooks/loops are a better option for recovery.

The only down side is that the thing is a real knee bitter if you are not careful.:beer:

I went another route. Was going to install Pintle, but wanted greater control, less "thumping" of my M101 on the highway, as i pull it at 70mph. Not pictured is my trailer tongue that also has a receiver so that I can interchange hitch types: i.e. universal joint hitch for offroad.
FlankHitch_22.JPG
FlankHitch_21.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom