My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you run a hot lead from the Toyota to the trailer pig tail to trickle charge the batteries on the run? with a diode in line you would deliver power to the batteries while driving and not be using the batteries when starting the Toyota...from your thread it says you have a 7 pin pig tail that would give you a spare wire which you could use if you were wired
ground/earth
indicator right
indicator left
brake
tail/ night light
reverse

just a thought

Naw, not yet. I have the setup, but if I can get away for 2 days right now I am living large. If I decide to do a week plus trip, I will install that into the system for sure.

Thanks-

Drew

Drew buddy, just one minor statement about one of the threads and statement you made. The Adventure trailer although very capable and ultimate as a build platform has issues that may or may not have been addressed, as of this writing. The AT has a terrible paint and powder coat issue. I just travelled 6K miles thru the South rain, tornadoes, hurricane (Katrina) and there is more rust on the machine than you can believe. not a good sign. There were no scratches or gouges allowing rust to develop, and the powder coat has flaked off. This may also be due to the Calif ARB and their no real solution to paint issue. Nice treailer you are doing there though.

Bummer, I think they are top shelf. That's wierd, did you contact Mario or Martyn? Their customer service is pretty top notch as well. I do hope to tow one of their trailers someday... when mine rusts away ;)

Congrats on the baby!

Your trailer build is packed full of awesome ideas, thanks for taking the time to document it.

When you say "shore power" do you mean you can plug in at a campsite or your driveway and charge those batteries? Do you have any solar charging capability?

Thanks

Butch

:beer:

Thanks for the nice words Butch, shore power is a term that was stolen from the marine industry I think. It is a 110v male plug that accepts an extension cord that is plugged into a power source at a campsite or boatdock or house outlet. So yes, I can plug the trailer in a day or two before my trip and top off the batteries then head out fully charged. Then if I get to a campsite that has power hookup, I can charge top off again. Clear as mud?

I just spent most of today reading this thread from start to my reply.

1st off thanks Drew for an awesome thread with lots of info. 2nd your handy work and fab skills and attention to detail are great. I went looking for trailer builds because I want to build something to suit my needs and your build has inspired me to do so.

I'm just finishing up my roof rack hopefully it will have paint on it this weekend...its been taking sometime to get done, but heck it not something I need to rush thru anyhow.

I watch with anticipation your kitchen build...

keep up the good work.:)

I've been getting a lot of nights out camping lately... its good for the soul! :bounce:

I thought I'd throw up a few current pics for the peanut gallery...

TrailerTruckcombo1.jpg

TrailerTruckcombo2.jpg

TrailerTruckcombo3.jpg

TrailerTruckcombo4.jpg

TrailerTruckcombo5.jpg

Love it!!! How did you get the Toyota on the back so perfectly?

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Love it!!! How did you get the Toyota on the back so perfectly?

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Its a decal we got off ebay for a tailgate.

RE the welding splatter, i have been welding lately with the gas turned up 30% over normal and have way less problem and the welds look smoother to boot.
Worth a try:popcorn:
obviously a little late for this project but future reference
try a 90/10 mix

or a tri-mix

I have a miller welder similar to yours...

try balancing out the wire feed to amps...

also there is a spray out there that you can lightly spray over the area then weld.. it helps stop the splatter from sticking...

Shore power simply refers to the hard wire connection between your rig and the 110 or 220 volt electrical system at home or campsite in a campground.

What size square Steel tubing are you using here ? how thick did you go?

16ga. 1" square tubing.

Shore power simply refers to the hard wire connection between your rig and the 110 or 220 volt electrical system at home or campsite in a campground.

You are coming a little late to the party huh? ;)

The last three hours reading and looking at this amazing build has been time very, very well-spent. Am very hopeful your kitchen and cargo drawer build-out works as well as the rest of this beauty and that you're able to capture the process in words and photos as spectacularly as you've done thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom