My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love the trailer and the clean electrical area. Just have one question relating to electrical. Picture shows items on right side of batteries what is on the left where black access door is? Learning and wanting gather as much knowledge to build my future trailer.

Love the trailer and the clean electrical area. Just have one question relating to electrical. Picture shows items on right side of batteries what is on the left where black access door is? Learning and wanting gather as much knowledge to build my future trailer.

That is an external shower, its unrelated to the electrical system.

1/2 A Million Views!!!

Congratz Drew on reaching an unbelievable amount....truly deserved !!

:clap:

:cheers:

DREW when it comes to doing the proper thing in the proper way and then saying how you did it, you are awesome. Nice job on the build, myself and everyone else here wishes we were more like you Thanks again we all enjoy it.

SOOOOOOOOOO... Its 2 am and I have seen every page on this thread read just about every comment posted and man I wish there was more so I can keep feeding my brain.

My girl was over my shoulder as I was showing her the trailer... We laughed at the comment that said "How did you get the Toyota sticker so perfect" not that its a dumb question because it has its merit but the dude just fabricated a trailer from scratch and squared, welded, painted, used different types of materials, sealed, ect .... and all the guy wanted to know was how he put the sticker on lol

iono we thought it was funny... bahahaha lol not knocking the guy at all just thought it was hilarious that the most simple thing strikes a question. :)

What an amazing build Favorited it for sure now time for some zzzzzz's

laughed at the comment that said "How did you get the Toyota sticker so perfect" not that its a dumb question because it has its merit but the dude just fabricated a trailer from scratch and squared, welded, painted, used different types of materials, sealed, ect .... and all the guy wanted to know was how he put the sticker on lol

iono we thought it was funny... bahahaha lol not knocking the guy at all just thought it was hilarious that the most simple thing strikes a question. :)

I'm glad I could bring laughter to your lives! :D

-Daniel

EDIT: The trailer is sick and astounding, but I had been following the build from day one and just thought the sticker looked factory. Ok there I've justified my question...now to go drink some coffee!

Thanks guys I am chipping away at the final bits, been using the trailer a lot and I am hesitant to take it town again to address some of the more major issues, like the plumbing.

Expedition Trailer

Glad i fount this thread.Thanks for taking the time to do this :clap:.I'm going to "barrow" :hillbilly: some ideas from your build to work on my late son's M416 project.Thanks for your Ministry thru this thread.Dios te bendiga a ti y tu familia.Cheers.

Drew,

I am another who has read this all the way through, and am very impressed! Not only is your craftsmanship and attention to detail fantastic, but your design sense is spot on. Best looking small trailer I've seen, period.
You probably have your hands full, but are there some things you wish you had done differently? Some pitfalls those of us wishing to start a build could avoid?

Enough niceties. FINISH THE BLESSED KITCHEN, MAN!!! WE'RE DYING HERE...

J/k. Hats off to you!

Drew, I thought for sure I was going to be stealing ideas from you on your kitchen. Im now over 2 years into my build and havent seen your kitchen yet. So, before I actually finish my kitchen, I Hope you can find some time to make some progress. Use your winter months wisely. :D As has been mentioned before - Awesome build man.

Drew, I thought for sure I was going to be stealing ideas from you on your kitchen. Im now over 2 years into my build and havent seen your kitchen yet. So, before I actually finish my kitchen, I Hope you can find some time to make some progress. Use your winter months wisely. :D As has been mentioned before - Awesome build man.

Yeah, I started having kiddo's! We are expecting number three in March. That will give us three, 3 years and under :eek: my time in the garage is nil, but my life is awesome. My oldest boy, 3.5yrs, and I go out in the cruiser all the time and he thinks the trailer is his personal tree house for playing in. My kitchen is sitting in a pile of parts in the corner of the garage with no progress since our move last year.

Sadly, we may end up selling the trailer in the next several years as our family grows as we can't fit into it anymore, nor the 40! :D But for me its not big deal, my kids and my wife are so much fun to be with that I could care less if we are in a 40 with an offroad trailer or a tent out of our new minivan!

Ain't life a hoot!?

Yeah, I started having kiddo's! We are expecting number three in March. That will give us three, 3 years and under :eek: my time in the garage is nil, but my life is awesome. My oldest boy, 3.5yrs, and I go out in the cruiser all the time and he thinks the trailer is his personal tree house for playing in. My kitchen is sitting in a pile of parts in the corner of the garage with no progress since our move last year.

Sadly, we may end up selling the trailer in the next several years as our family grows as we can't fit into it anymore, nor the 40! :D But for me its not big deal, my kids and my wife are so much fun to be with that I could care less if we are in a 40 with an offroad trailer or a tent out of our new minivan!

Ain't life a hoot!?
Drew, I hear ya. Expecting our 4th due in February. My oldest is 6. They all looove the cruiser. Life gets crazy, awesome, and project time goes out the window with little ones running around. Thus, the extended build time on my trailer. Its not designed for a brood either. Right now Ive got the wee ones in a tent. Ive got a bench seat in the 40 and long jump seats so we are good there. After all, they "seat 7 adults comfortably" dont they? Well Im glad that you get the real point in having these things. If its not to create memories with your family, I dont know what it is.

:cheers:
Mike

REZARF said:
Sadly, we may end up selling the trailer in the next several years as our family grows as we can't fit into it anymore, nor the 40!

Ain't life a hoot!?

1st dibs if you ever decide to sell this beauty.

Don't know what size your Lunette ring is, but here's what I did with my M101A2-coupled to the same type of ball/pintle--takes away all that slop in the ring. I bolted the hook straight to the bumper(there's a 3" channel inside the bumper also)
The insert is made of 2 1/2" copper pipe, with a second pipe that's been notched to squeeze inside the outer pipe

Last edited:
Don't know what size your Lunette ring is, but here's what I did with my M101A2-coupled to the same type of ball/pintle--takes away all that slop in the ring. I bolted the hook straight to the bumper(there's a 3" channel inside the bumper also)
The insert is made of 2 1/2" copper pipe, with a second pipe that's been notched to squeeze inside the outer pipe
Great Idea. Any particular reason for using copper?

Being the softest metal present the copper will act a bit like a bushing.

Just test-fit my new lunette on my new pintle. The gap behind the hook for the lunette to swivel thru is rather small, not much banging and clanging can happen there even though the hole in the lunette is quite a bit bigger than the pintle hook's OD.

I suspect that any banging and clanging from the coupling itself (as opposed to the fit of either side to their respective mounts) from one of the ball/pintle hybrids is due to the compromised shape necessary to fit the ball in place.

If you stick with the pintle/ball, here's a mod that might help with the extra space in the Lunette--insert made of 2-1/2" copper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom