My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I nearly got my electical system base done today. A few ground connections and wiring up the isolator switch and I am ready to run each circuit! :D

First up I daisy chained my 3 outlets to the exterior. I plan on running a set of RTT LED lights and a small DVD player when the :princess: wants it. Simple stuff, but I took a lot of pics to show my progress.

IMG_3217.jpg

I also bought some nice marine battery terminal covers. I was worried about exposed wires since just about everything gets stuffed into the front box... These are really nice units. I need to lengthen my original wires to reach the battery isolator switch that I got off the bay recently. Its a OFF, Battery 1, Battery 2, or BOTH switch. Should make managing the power a little easier and I can charge the batteries independantly or run them together if I had to jump the 40... ;)

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

Last edited:
So I turned my attention to the switch/fuse panel. I was going to originally just have them dangle over the batteries, but letting anything just dangle without a proper enclosure might ask for trouble down the road. So, I built them a nice little housing using a project box from Radio Shack. It is a simple screw lid project box that is the perfect size for my switches and for extra wiring leads.

I punched three holes in the bottom and pressed in a few grommets so I can run wires in and out and keep them nicely bundled. The switch panel from Blue Sea is a nice quality unit. The Carling style switches are waterproof and they are illuminated which is nice for breaking camp and having a quick visual confirmation that everything is off.

IMG_3219.jpg

In the picture above I realized that my Sharpie eraser (acetone) will also erase a project box :D

Starting to install the grommets...

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

Then it was time for a final test fit and see where we're at... everything is looking good.
IMG_3221.jpg

Once I had the box ready to roll, I had to decide on where to mount it. By mounting it vertical I didn't give up much floor space for a tool bag/roll. I decided to give the 200mph tape from 3M another whirl since it has held up great on my 7 wire junction box. I put more than was probably needed and managed to stick the box to the back wall before I could get it to stick on the bottom of the top rail too :( No worries, I just smashed it into the gap with a puddy knife and it has filled the gap nicely.

Here is the spot before I mounted the box to it.
IMG_3222.jpg

Getting crazy with the good stuff... this stuff is about a buck a foot! :eek:
IMG_3226.jpg

Pulling the first set of wires from the outlets into the junction box...
IMG_3227.jpg

Whoa La! I think it looks great in this spot. I plan on mounting the battery isolator/switch on the same wall between this box and the batteries I plan on running it near the top lid to keep it out of the way and make access easy.
IMG_3232.jpg

I had started another project a week or two ago and got around to finishing it up today. I was starting to notice that I was scratching up the front box lid pretty good by using the lid as a "rack." This WAS the intention of the original design... but I would only put soft stuff up there and it would get abused by the kick-up from the FJ40. I want to carry mostly firewood there but I wasn't about to just throw it on top of the painted lid.

I started to remember the old luggage racks found on tops of cars with the rubber bumper strips on top to keep the finish nice. I had some of the HDPE board still laying around from my kitchen counter project. It is the perfect material for this since it is chemical resistant and UV stable. I cut some 3/4" wide strips that are about as wide as the rack lid, then tossed them on the router table and chamferred the edge at a 45* angle to knock the sharp edges down. They are 1/4" tall and that is about the perfect amount of hieght for coolers, my fridge or any other "box" that I can strap down on it. Including some firewood in some HD storage bins. I think it will really increase my desire to use this space now.

Here is the strips before and after chamferring the edges down.
IMG_3233.jpg

To mount them I called on the 3M tape again. This saves me both hardware costs and not having to drill holes into the lid... I LOVE THIS TAPE!
IMG_3235.jpg

I masked off one end of the trailer lid for a guide to lay the strips down. Then I used a nylon block that happened to be perfect for the spacing between strips to get them nice and straight and even.
IMG_3236.jpg

The end result came out great! I am really stoked as this one only "cost" me the price of the tape, which I had on hand already.
IMG_3239.jpg

And the last, and perhaps most serious mod of the day was to finally start a few places for my sticker collections. I have collected several stickers over the past several years, and the underside of the front box lid and the tailgate seem to be the perfect place for a bunch of 'em!

I added two Expo decals to the exterior rear of the trailer, but the rest will stay inside. I do have two Warn stickers that I might toss on the outside as well, but that would be it! Hopefully ;)

Before...
IMG_3241.jpg

After...
IMG_3243.jpg

And the new tailgate decoration!
IMG_3244.jpg

And since my build is over at ExPo as well... I had to represent! :D
IMG_3240.jpg

Got my battery isolator/switch installed today. It was a LOT of work for 4 bolts, but it was worth it. I had to pull the front box off again, and then I made a template of where to drill the holes, once I had them drilled I had to mess with my nutsert tool for over an hour to get it to work again. Once that was done, I added a little blue silicone to the nutserts, seated them in the box and bolted up the new switch. Simple, but man it took nearly two hours all said and done. Oh well, sometimes things take longer than expected.

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

Now we are getting really close. I need to build some new battery cables to hook up to the switch and ground to the frame. I am going to add a 110v fan to the shore power connection to move air through the box when charging. Then I gotta power up the switch panel and create a terminal ground block and wire up my accessories, then end of the electrical is in sight! :bounce:

Here is where it sits now:
IMG_3258.jpg

Then its time for plumbing and wrapping up the kitchen. Off to work...

Got my battery isolator/switch installed today. It was a LOT of work for 4 bolts, but it was worth it. I had to pull the front box off again, and then I made a template of where to drill the holes, once I had them drilled I had to mess with my nutsert tool for over an hour to get it to work again. Once that was done, I added a little blue silicone to the nutserts, seated them in the box and bolted up the new switch. Simple, but man it took nearly two hours all said and done. Oh well, sometimes things take longer than expected.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/trailer%20build/IMG_3255.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/trailer%20build/IMG_3256.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/trailer%20build/IMG_3257.jpg[IMG]

Now we are getting really close. I need to build some new battery cables to hook up to the switch and ground to the frame. I am going to add a 110v fan to the shore power connection to move air through the box when charging. Then I gotta power up the switch panel and create a terminal ground block and wire up my accessories, then end of the electrical is in sight! :bounce:

Here is where it sits now:
[IMG]http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/trailer%20build/IMG_3258.jpg[IMG]

Then its time for plumbing and wrapping up the kitchen. Off to work...[/QUOTE]

Man! I looks like crap!

Kidding, of course! I agree... worth the time!
Billy

Any updates on the kitchet setup?

the fuse panel looks like a Blue sea item ... boat hardware try west marine for pricing and info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom