My rescue and recesitation of a 71 spring green 40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A 71 Coolerman? Score! I installed my Coolerman through the cowl vent.

@Weber Sarge says the vessel stuff is good. It’s JIS stuff. At one time he had a discount code set up with a U.S. distributor. Vessel Impact Tools
1E72E265-D5A3-4071-AB74-EAC1FD19C888.jpeg

I’m trying to take pd the hatch bar that goes to both side pieces on the top. Got the bottom two loose but the top on both sides are being very difficult.

Update: long process of tearing it down to build it back up. Frustrating process with some broken bolts, cussing and beer. But, Ann Marie is a diamond in the rough. Such a solid foundation. And this patina is amazing.

Some photos:
I was anxious to see how it would clean up so I pulled the front fender skirt off, washed it up and treated it with the rust gel I was advised on. Here is finished product.

Box of goodies received from none other than @Coolerman . Complete bumper to bumper wiring goodness for “Ann Marie”.

Current state of Ann Marie in the garage.

On a side note, the fiberglass top is in fantastic shape. The rails aren’t rusted and are solid. I was worried about this being a huge hassle. Broke a couple of the bolts, but it looks fantastic overall. The tail lights, turn signals, marker lights all are solid and in good shape. Plan on restoring them to some degree and hopefully re-using them to retain the original look.

1A287205-4793-49DA-BB62-264A9D570845.jpeg

6EA8EEDF-122A-4F06-99F0-FC576BDF8B3C.jpeg

9CFE3A25-181B-4AFB-8E61-9DBCD95E47E8.jpeg

ABD3CD26-F60A-4828-AE00-9C225FCC78A2.jpeg

In case anyone is curious. I gave her the name “Ann Marie”.

Back in middle school - early high school years, I had a huge crush on this little oriental girl named Ann Marie. She was gorgeous, smart and liked by everyone. Somehow seemed fitting.

Whoa! You got a coolerman! That’s a big time score. No telling how much time and agony that just saved you.

Ann Marie is a thing of beauty:cheers:

Sweet baby Jesus, please don't paint that thing!

Ann Marie is just as oriental, beautiful, and liked by everyone as your first Ann Marie. Just love her and treat her well (and don't let her get away, like the first one...)

Last edited:
^^^^ please please please. I hope you do not repaint her. There is so much character there. It’s an obvious win win. Great story on Anne Marie’s face that should live on and more money left in the bank....well ok it will get spent on other stuff. Each day that goes by I appreciate what @wngrog has shared with us all. We love cruisers because of their reliability and design. Battle scars are an added right of passage that vouches for what they stand for.

Scars tell the story.

I remember when I drove the 45 to the Roundup the first time in 2006 and everyone kept asking when I was going to paint it.

Nobody asks any more.

Might be worth rereading my story "The Ghost In The Machine."

I’ve been slacking on the updates. I have quite a few photos and info to update my thread. And I will soon.

But first and foremost, she’s not getting painted.

Right now she is completely stripped down. Drive train is ready to put together and get back in. She is coming along nicely. I will do a better update soon.

Looking forward to more progress pics on the rust gel treatment on the body. Just in case peeps miss @thebigredrocker reference, snap a pic of the product you used for posterity.

It’s been a long while, and not a lot to report. I still have Ann Marie and she is still in the works. Just got shifted to the side for a bit. In the next few weeks some big steps are coming.

73E454A5-7702-4360-B8C0-EAA1EF02CE7C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom