My quest for a comfy camp chair. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading this thread (very interesting), got more and more interested in the subject.
A not too expensive camping chair and good quality ;) Did some research, and to my big surprise found this one Amazon.com : Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler : Camping Chair : Sports & Outdoors over 3,000 reviews with 4.5 stars, less than $25 ! WOW :cheers: Had no idea Coleman is also very popular for camping chairs - knew about camping stoves but not the chairs :bounce:

What's everyone experience with the helinox type of chairs?
Amazon.com : Moon Lence Ultralight Folding Camping Chairs Beach Chairs with Carry Bag : Sports & Outdoors
they are getting quite popular these days and cheaper versions are popping up on Amazon

I'm wondering if they are comfortable enough for sitting by the campfire. They look a little low in the back area but I was looking at a set for using for hikes or carrying around.

no thoughts on these type of chairs? I like how small and light they pack down to.

no thoughts on these type of chairs? I like how small and light they pack down to.
I'm only a buck-twenty and I would not trust that chair to hold up for long, nor provide a relaxing sitting position after a long day on the trail. Might be fine for someone who's hiked a 20-mile day, but not for me. I want a full back support, non-sling type chair. I'm leaning towards the short director style chairs for that (Front Runner, Coleman, REI).

Absolutely love mine, it Comes everywhere with me. Super comfortable and ultra light.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

I have a couple of those MacCabee chairs. Still in great shape after 15 years or so and quite comfy. The trouble is that they are too big when folded--too long and take up excess volume due to their curvature when folded. I've taken to only using them on one or two day trips when space isn't at a premium. For longer trips they're just too big. So I'm curious about the Kijaro. The usual problem I have with that style of sling chair (admittedly they're usually in the $6.99 category) is that when I'm sitting in them the fabric sags low enough that the front diagonals dig into the back of my legs. Is the Kijaro better on that front?

I have a couple of those MacCabee chairs. Still in great shape after 15 years or so and quite comfy. The trouble is that they are too big when folded--too long and take up excess volume due to their curvature when folded. I've taken to only using them on one or two day trips when space isn't at a premium. For longer trips they're just too big. So I'm curious about the Kijaro. The usual problem I have with that style of sling chair (admittedly they're usually in the $6.99 category) is that when I'm sitting in them the fabric sags low enough that the front diagonals dig into the back of my legs. Is the Kijaro better on that front?
I have 2, real good and my wife and I don't have any problems with anything digging into our legs.

IMG_0098.jpg

Yup.

Any of you guys used one of these?
9fbbcda3c830259c90e261ba490d3c78.jpg

American Camp Chair | Hand crafted for people who enjoy the outdoors

It's based on the Fenby patent "paragon" chair of the 1880s which is the granddaddy of the various tubular steel "umbrella" chairs being churned out by the thousands in Chinese factories. No plastic here - the plastic blocks of which George speaks above were originally folded steel brackets.

FenbyPatentUS244216.jpg

Timber, steel and canvas trumps plastic, nylon and thin-wall base metal tubing any day.

Of course, the price on these is a killer. Better to make your own I reckon ;)

Curious if anyone has sat in this chair and if so how comfortable it is? Thinking this or the Kermit chair, while pricey, could be the ticket to a comfortable, long lasting, relatively compact when folded camp chair.

Curious if anyone has sat in this chair and if so how comfortable it is? Thinking this or the Kermit chair, while pricey, could be the ticket to a comfortable, long lasting, relatively compact when folded camp chair.
It is my favorite chair, and packed in the rig for an upcoming trip.
It is very comfortable.

holy carp. for that kinda money, the chair had better do my sitting for me! they better be comfy!!!

Hmm. Looked at the specs of the Kijaro and it's not going to improve my packing feng shui over the MacCabee—over 47 inches long when folded. Maybe I could lash them behind the Airtop and get them out of the truck completely.

I like mine as well. It is comfortable and sturdy, however my one gripe about it is that it is an SOB to open and fold back up. The the sliding parts seem to bind and it is like leveling a seesaw.

Fortunately I haven't experienced that yet, but I could see it happening.

I wonder if you could put graphite or something similar on it to help slide? I guess I'll have to look into it when I put some more miles on mine.

Other complaint is that they are pretty heavy, but for vehicle based camping they are great. On the positive side they are solid and don't feel cheap.

Now that brings back memories from the 60s and 70s.
I still have a nice Zip Dee clone or something that was close to that name from the late 80s early 90s.
It folds like those, but no webbing, all fabric, and wood handles.

Found it from 2008, the last time I used it.

24.jpg
have this same chair with the legs rest and just retired it!!

I have the REI version, the legs are oriented 90 degrees to the seat. the chairs are fine packing it on your back 5 miles in on a hike, but nothing I would use car-camping (oophs! over-landing)

I was going to get the front runners recommended by @LandCruiserPhil but they are sold out. Instead opted for the wilderness chairs on sale at REI

GCI Outdoor Wilderness Recliner Chair

Concerned about the low to the ground aspect after a few :beer: but figured I will just roll out of it if need be.

But if you see a fat drunk guy stuck in a chair at pismo beach please help an old man out

I was going to get the front runners recommended by @LandCruiserPhil but they are sold out. Instead opted for the wilderness chairs on sale at REI

GCI Outdoor Wilderness Recliner Chair

Concerned about the low to the ground aspect after a few :beer: but figured I will just roll out of it if need be

I get mine from Sierra Expeditions - Now with winter upon us the mesh bottom makes for a nice warm ass with a shovel full of hot coals under your seat. A big point scorer with the ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom