My oil smells of gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 97 lx450 and the oil smells like gas. also sitting in the garage smells like straight gas with nothing leaking. I suspect is a leaking fuel injector. if so, does anybody know a good video on how to replace them and what is a good injector to get?
Thanks in advance

You can stick a camera in each cylinder and look for the wet one via the spark plug hole first, if you don't find one the. That may not be your issue. Of course you can get a fuel pressure test kit and see if it drops pressure quickly. Before running it again you should change the oil. There are more tests you can do electrically with an oscilloscope on the injector leads to find If an injector is bad too. Either way i recommend testing before replacing if you can.

As far as suggestions, Toyota can be had, i would see how much they are from Marrietta Toyota online parts department. Some have upgraded to the Bosche 4 hole injectors but not sure if there is a real improvement there or not.

You can often spot a wet cylinder by just pulling the sparkplug. Last one we had at the Spa turned out to be a grounded trigger wire between the engine and ECU. Replaced entire engine harness as it was all pretty tattered.

How does the engine run? Has the vehicle been sitting a long time?

You could collect a sample of the used engine oil and send that off to Blackstone Laboratories for an Engine Oil Analysis (EOA) which will tell you if there's fuel (or water, coolant, increased wear metals) in the oil.

If you call they will send out free collection bolttles and you pay for shipping, or if you buy 6 prepaid samples they will include free return shipping:

The oil in my LX450 has smelled gassy every single time I have checked it since buying it in 2008. The gas smell in the garage though is definitely something I'd be concerned about -- fuel lines, leaks from injector seals, or the tank itself. Could there be cracks around your fuel fill line? Also, could a plugged charcoal canister cause this gassy garage smell? If so, consider replacing it with that GM "120" unit or whatever.

Last one we had at the Spa turned out to be a grounded trigger wire
Interesting! that would suck to replace the injectors only to find out they are still staying open. another reason to test what signal they are getting before replacing parts.

You could collect a sample of the used engine oil and send that off to Blackstone Laboratories for an Engine Oil Analysis (EOA) which will tell you if there's fuel (or water, coolant, increased wear metals) in the oil.

If you call they will send out free collection bolttles and you pay for shipping, or if you buy 6 prepaid samples they will include free return shipping:

the engine runs good,

engine runs fine but yes it has been siting for 3 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom