My new project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My71FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I am new here and YES I did read the newbie info and read through a bunch of tech stuff through the FAQ. Unfortunatley I don't have the time to read every thread. So here it is. In November I bought a 71fj40 out of Redding, CA and went down and drove it home here in Spokane, Wa. I read in the past tech advice about the T-cases, and hell yeah mine whines loudly. It is a three speed but one problem I missed when I bought it is the case had been broke on the bottom right near the drain plug but someone JB welded it, so far its holding up. I really have only driven it the 8oo+ miles home and have it parked while I collect parts to start fixing it up. So by the sound of the whining and the previous damage I suspect I might be in for a whole new case with gears and all? Rebuild out of the question? Also there is no vacuum to engauge 4 wheel, just direct...has that been removed or did they stop doing that in 71? My next delima is the stock fuel tank had been removed and replaced with an aftermarket in the rear under the tub...and it leaks when you get near full. I would rather have the stock one but the original seats are gone as well so no where to put it. It has the 1F motor and it seems to run well enough, though may need some carb work. I have bought all the gear through SOR for the loose steering...rod ends, drag link assy...etc. One plus is that someone replaced the front drums with disc. Oh, I have the PTO and winch but when I engaged the PTO I got a horrible whining sound and so I stopped until further investigation. Any helpful thoughts or links to similar problems would be appreciated. Yes you can all give me the :flipoff2: for such a long post ;)

Welcome

Right on, welcome! There's no going back! Nice first post but where's the pictures? I owned a 71 years ago, loved it! Enjoy flipoff2:

sounds like a nice find! welcome to the club! those disk breaks would be nice. I've got a 72, love the beast and im just down the street in walla walla. Drove mine up from San Bernadino CA 1200 miles one hell of a fun trip... dog hated it though way to loud for him.

welcomee to MUD :) now where are the pictures :)

did you check the fluid level since being home? sometimes the transfer case pumps the oil to the tranny whenthe seal goes bad...leaving you with a virtually empty transfer case.

also the pto winch also has an oil filler.

you can get an "oil bypass" hose to fix the tranny-transfer case issue...but...the jbweld i dont think will holdup well if you ever pound it on a rock in the future...a 3speed transfer case should be available used somewhere near ya.

since it was soooooo long of a post :) i forgot did you say what you are going to use the truck for in the future? restore? rebuild to a DD? weekend wheeler? hard core?

I have a 71 also w/ sbc sm465 3sp transfer and just did a complete lube service on everything. Noise level dropped significantly. Oil in transfer looked really old, might want to change it for now. Good luck! :wrench:

Yeah, the first thing I did when I picked it up was have all the fluids changed out in CA before driving it home. But no, haven't checked the t-case fluid since I parked it. Pictures coming soon. Oh, and I had a 67fj40 from 95'-00'...xwife thing...grrrr anyway, new wife, new cruiser...life is good ;) Except new wife has noticed my dedication to cruiser and a little jealousy if creeping in :O. Gotta go before she finds out Im talking TLC's. Oh, and I plan to keep it mostly stock, weekend fun hit the ORV park...More info on questions if anybody got sugestions would be nice. Later

71 Fj

Hello,

I have a 71 I have been building for about a year now its called Ugly Betty but there are 2 Betty's on the site

I went with 33 x 10.5 and a 4 inch lift, new bucket seats, a paki soft top and a 79 2f with a 4 speed

A good site to check out is Coolerman--just do a search on his name and click on the link to his site--lots of good detailed info including schematics there

If you drove her 800 miles it seems you got a good one! Looking forward to the pics

Ok, update and Pictures

Alright, putting Pics on here finally. So far these are some of the things I have bought... since I got it out of CA it NO heater parts so I found a guy parting out his 72 very cheap and for 70$ +30 shipping I got - Blower motor, front heater, ducting, rear heater, and front AND rear drive shaft plus pto shaft :D Love Ebay. I didn't need the drive shafts but to get all 3 for 10 bucks I couldn't go wrong ;) From SOR I got all the front steering components that need repair, such as drag link kit, center arm kit, rod ends, new heavy duty steering stablizer. I have 3 kids Boy, Girl, Girl and so I bought the two rear jump seats off Ebay(matching year) so while I was on SOR I got from thier clearance new vinyl covers for them, and two 31" Roll Bar Spreaders at $5 a piece. I intend to build some type of full cage since this will be our family camping/off road rig. I also got a set of new zinc plated hood latches from www.lcnation.com for 19.95 because one of mine was all wore out. Currently I am working on making mirror brackets that will bolt to the windshield hinge using same bolt pattern. Some previous owner bolted some mirrors there BUT drilled holes through the hinges and the COWL to do so. I know I can buy some but I have the means to just make my own out of scrap from work so that makes the wife happy plus lets me spend money on cruiser parts I need. When I picked it up it needed tires so before I got the fluids changed I put on new meats from Les Schwab 31X10.5 Mud Terrain SXT. Really wishing I would have waited to buy the tires where I could have shopped around a bit more. Would rather have 33's and something in the BFG lineup. Well tell me what ya think!
Luke
S3000006.jpg
tlc%20009[1].jpg

Last edited:
nice

very very nice

yes you should be able to pick up a xfer case fairly cheap

if the vacuum is gone the PO swapped to the 3 speed direct shift--it is a 3 on the floor now instead of column shift right?

The body looks great how about some inside pics?

The BEZEL is upside down

The fuel tank should be easy enough to fab up mounts allowing the tank under the seat again just look at any of the early
models that have buckets. I just got a steel tank from SOR for about 200 bucks. There are the plastic tanks but they are smaller---too small for me.

a replacement aux tank is an option and some have installed tanks from other vehicles in the back --just search on aux fuel tank

just saw this https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/276451-new-frame-mounted-gas-tank.html

here's my 71 https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/204950-71-fj-build-ugly-betty.html

Last edited:
Yes, 3 speed on the floor my 67 was 3 on the column. The original seats are gone...some old jeep seats or something now so I would have to figure out a way to make a mount over the tank for a new seat if I put original tank back in. I didn't know the bezel had a direction, seems same all around. My 67 had a stainless steel bezel...now you mean the part around the grill and lights right? Some PO had sprayed the front down with a rattle can and the grate is red as well as overspray on the winch...all will be back to stock color after more important fixes first. I put more pics on my bio thing...in my album

seat mount

well, you don't have to worry over figuring it out cause plenty of others have done the same thing already

for a full width mount have a look at mine or take a stock seat frame and strip it and mount the seats to it. I like the full width and I am going to mount a center console on mine eventually

some folks make smaller brackets, lots of pics on the site just search on seats

if you flip the bezel and put the wider part on top then the toyota emblem is centered in the grill

I think you scored a nice rig there just needs some sorting out eh?
bracket 004.jpg
bracket 003.jpg
bracket 007.jpg

Your PTO noise is coming from the transfer case or the winch,if its the winch it could be the sheer pins are gone.

Last edited:
Yeah, dont know

Your PTO noise is coming from the transfer case or the winch,if its the winch it could be the sheer pins are gone.

Well, when I engaged the pto the shaft was spinning but I saw nothing at the winch end. It was not a pleasant sound so I shut her down right away. The "brake arm" on the winch is froze so I couldn't move it so don't know whats going on until I tear into it.

Yeah, my 67 was all original with split bench seat and the tool box under the driver seat as well. So I am familiar with the frame set up. I just hope it wont be to expensive to get the original seat frames...working off of a budget ya see. I dont require the smog stuff here in WA so I plan to tear all that out and maybe I will find the source to the tank leak then...maybe just a lose connection to one of the lines.

Got to replace my fuel pump

Noticed the fuel pump is leaking. Haven't done much to it, been on vacation then fixing up house, but have been driving it a few times a week with the nice weather ;)

so you bought the cruiser in nov and drove it home to WA from redding?!

i think that pretty much qualifies you as a "cruiser-head"!

welcome to the club and to mud! :cheers:

fwiw, spray some pb blaster on the winch arm fro mtime to time. the grease in there gets old and sticky along with some rust and road grime and then they get stuck. it'll come free again with very little effort.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Great find. Looks like the body is in good condition. How's the condition of the rear flip up hatch door? The hatch on my 67 is dying quick. I've been looking though the FAQs for info on replacing the shocks that support the weight and replacing the handle on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom