My new project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks orangefj45, I can't free the arm, the brake on the winch and its missing the pin in the handle that makes it engage. Also I recently noticed that it has a crack near one of the mounting holes so a buddy at work says he can weld up cast iron so will give that a try soon.

Hey BAJA FJ40, Yeah my hatch handle on the inside is messed up too. The cover plate is gone and the actual handle, when the top is on I use a bungie to hold hatch shut. Also my supports are missing...MIA/POW's ? ;)

Yes, thank you CruisinMT for rubbing it in! I would have rather had the 33x9.5 but they didn't have them at the time and I bought the 31's minutes after buying the rig and driving it home. So if you want to trade anytime just send me a note ;) This is a great summer to be going topless! I'll post some newer pics...also some in my album.

Here's summer pics.
ih8mud1.jpg
ih8mud2.jpg
ih8mud3.jpg

buddy of mine has a rig looks allot like it, watching his nearly stock fj40 going through the Rubicon was the best part of the run. He was also the only one that didn't break anything (signed every rock on the trail tho). Good luck with your rig!

Here is an update to my rig. I have begun the rattle can resto without taking it apart. Doing sections at a time, sanding, priming and painting while masking off other areas. I know its not the preferred way, but my time is short, been working tons of overtime and I need to stop the rust before its cancer. I don't have the room in the garage so I have to do it outside while the weather stays nice. I painted the grill black to get rid of the red overspray, and cleaned up the Toyota emblem in the front, painting the spaces in between the letters black. The color I'm painting the body is Rust-Oleum Oregano satin, then I sprayed clear coat over that. My ideal color would be 6H9 green but this is a decent color and a budget fix for rust.
DSC07070.jpg
DSC07570.jpg
DSC07579.jpg

Last edited:
I got the cowl painted, hood and windshield frame in the works. The windshield seal/weather strip was shot...didn't even want to come out in one piece so gonna order a new one tomorrow, hopefully CDan can save me a coin ;) Might just get a new windshield made too...no cracks but a scratch from the wiper at some point. I guess I'd have to get a new mud sticker too :D
DSC07854.jpg
DSC07858.jpg
DSC07880.jpg

Any new updates to the paint job on your fj. I think you did a good job on the rattle can job. What do you think you have into it($)?

I bought enough paint (estimated) to do the whole thing, plus primer and clear coat, I think I have $60-70 just in paint. Tape, sandpaper and wire wheels I have not figured in the price but not much. I moved in October so as of now don't have a garage to work in so my paint has stalled for the winter. Lump is sitting under a 10x20 canopy for now but I will finish her up when the weather is warm and dry enough to do so. Thanks, the cowl turned out better, I sprayed the clear when the paint was still slightly tacky so it has a better shine to it....I'm not a painter but I think that's what I'll do on the rest.

Also I have some stock steelies from my parts rig and plan on putting them on. Debating having them powder coated off white (close to stock) or grey...I think grey would look good with the green but I've seen the stock white with similar green and it looks good to. I painted my windshield hinges black per my sons advice but don't want to paint bezel black...so still trying to figure out the offset of colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom