New frame mounted gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thormotorsports1.com
Hi, I'm building a 1969 FJ40 LC from the frame up. I am boxing and bracing the frame with pre fabricated parts from Ruff Stuff. I want to get the gas tank "bomb" out of the cab and frame mount a new tank. I need to see a picture of a tank mounted in the frame before I install cross bracing. Does anyone have a picture? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al

Once the initial shock of the passenger has subsided the OEM location isn't that bad.

Much more difficult for it to get punctured etc inside the vehicle instead of hanging low where it might/will get hit by rocks.

As for between the rails do a search for auxillary fuel tanks, you should find lots of info.

I've got a Northewest Metal Products aux tank under the bed of my 40. Its tapered to fit the factory frame and cross members.

If I was fabbing up a bare frame, I would raise the tank into the tub a little bit. There is plenty of clearance with the factory skidplate but I could be a little better.

I also wish I had added some strips of rubber between the skidplate and tank bottom to provide a little air space and drainage channel.

Possibly something like this? PM me for details.
BC_AT_0003.jpg

BC_AT_0002.jpg

the only way its a bomb is if you actually light it with something.how many people in chevy trucks were hurt because of that outside tank.ive never heard of any one hurt in a cruiser because of the gas tank blowing up.jeeps ;can i say that here; went through many wars with the tanks there and so did many landcruisers.if your that worried maybey a diesel is the best bet good luck

If the gas tank does become a "bomb" (highly unlikely, BTW - liquid gasoline does not explode) it is not gonna matter whether the tank is under the seat or between the frame rails...

Tens of millions of miles have been driven in older 40's with the gas tank under the passenger seat - I have never heard of one exploding.

Here are some photos
Rear Tank 04.jpg
Exhaust 01.jpg
Fuel Filler 03R.jpg

In cab tank

I hit a guy that ran a stop sign on a country road with a new 1969 Chevy pickup in 1969. My truck rolled on the side, then twice end over end. (I was an electric company lineman at the time and the previous week I had gone out on a trouble call where a guy in a frozen food truck had cleaned off one of our poles and then hit an oak tree. He was pinned in the truck (with a tank behind the seat) probably had broken ribs at worst. Our primary (8320 volts) arced to the truck and ignited the tank. When I got there they were just getting the fire out and the driver was dead.) When I came to, my truck was upside down with the passenger side window burried in the dirt and the rest of the windows smashed down towards the dash with too small an opening to climb out. I had just filled the tank behind the seat with 18 galloms of gas. The floor mats were burning and the melted burning parts were whistling down on me. I tried to remain calm, the drivers door was out of the dirt but very smashed up. (the frozen food truck went through my head) I lifted the door handle and kicked, and kicked, and kicked, and kicked, and completely lost it. A guy came along that was a Captain in a volunteer fire company, he had 5 five pound extinguishers and got the fire under control. He had to leave to get a fire truck which took about 15 minutes but seemed much longer. He and another guy put the fire out completely and the 2 of them rolled the truck upright, a feat in itself. They pried open the windshield and took me out. The Captain held me and talked to me while waiting for the ambulance because he told me later he thought I was going to die. He said he didn't know why the gas had not ignited, because it had all drained out on the ground. Call me paranoid, but I hate gas tanks in the cab. I realize that the same thing can happen with the frame mounted tank, but it's not right there beside you.

Any fire is horrific ive been through one to in 79 ( house) got burnt pretty bad, lost my daughter. That is why everything i build now has deisel , not so prongnite to igniting,but i still have the tank under the seat only its deisel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom