Builds My Hawaiian 1975 Fj40 Resto-resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great progress Jen! I’m glad it’s running again. What does the list look like before you can drive it?
Finishing all new brakes then some metal work and body work before some paint. Could be on the road shortly after that. It’s not much work left to do, but we have been going very slow with all of it. We are not in too much of a hurry to finish, but will be really nice once it’s drivable.

Didn’t come to Oahu this year. First trip, more than a couple days, in about three years. Saw some sights you may recognize…

View attachment 3108117View attachment 3108118

And a couple pictures that of a bay on a different North Shore that you’ve likely seen on the news recently.

View attachment 3108119View attachment 3108120
Shocked by what happened, glad I could help in a small way, and will be praying for the 51 year old French woman as she recovers.

After seeing what I saw that day, I’ll never quite look at warm beaches the same way again.
Sad what happened to that visitor, caution needs to be taken when going into the ocean. And warm beach or cold water beach, dangerous sharks are almost always around if the water happens to be salty.

With cooling system all hooked back up, we jacked up the front and filled with coolant while it was running at a high idle keeping an eye on the temp gauge and periodically testing the temperatures around the engine and radiator with a thermal laser temperature reader (not sure what the technical name is)
729EF0E4-1D74-47BF-9599-94421C17D948.jpeg

Moved on to some of the metal work. Welded up some extra holes on the dash and decided to try and fix the dash radio opening that the PO had cut/widened.
BF310AEE-443F-459A-8F18-F60A97E48E56.jpeg

E595BC4B-5875-4764-AAAD-BBC7B30415A3.jpeg

Turned out pretty good, now dash is back to more of a factory look. Will restore all knobs on the dash before reinstalling.
408A814F-92B6-452F-9B4F-1A3A68CB4D61.jpeg

Factory radio looks really good doesn’t it!!
94C9A6B9-704D-4FFD-997A-D784D3AE9467.jpeg

Going to see the sharks tomorrow off North Shore! Here for the week enjoying family and Grandma Yuhs 97th birthday. Toured UH at Manoa where my daughter will start school in the spring.

Always looking for some good cruisers where ever we are driving. Once daughter starts school we will be here quarterly for sure, if we can ever bring anything for the project let us know.

Sad what happened to that visitor, caution needs to be taken when going into the ocean. And warm beach or cold water beach, dangerous sharks are almost always around if the water happens to be salty.

Our kids were in that same bay 20 minutes before. The waves were crashing on the shore kicking up some sand, but otherwise it looked fairly clear.

I was one of the first responders who treated her till the paramedics arrived. The woman lost one arm, has severe injuries to her other hand, and was also bit in the side. She’s very fortunate to be alive… I just hope she sees it as a good thing. She’ll have some rough months ahead.

With cooling system all hooked back up, we jacked up the front and filled with coolant while it was running at a high idle keeping an eye on the temp gauge and periodically testing the temperatures around the engine and radiator with a thermal laser temperature reader (not sure what the technical name is)
View attachment 3108231
Moved on to some of the metal work. Welded up some extra holes on the dash and decided to try and fix the dash radio opening that the PO had cut/widened.
View attachment 3108233
View attachment 3108232
Turned out pretty good, now dash is back to more of a factory look. Will restore all knobs on the dash before reinstalling.
View attachment 3108234
Factory radio looks really good doesn’t it!!
View attachment 3108235
I'm glad to see that you are still making progress. Sometimes I get discouraged when I see others who build beautiful trucks in a few weeks or even months. Keep up the good work, you'll get there yet.

Continued some more metal work of cutting out the rusted/rotted areas and welding in clean metal, especially the more important structural areas of the body panels. Beefed up the support area where the fender bolts to front part of the body with some thicker metal as well as the area that bolts to side step.
4C104F4B-637D-4674-8995-C05D57B7DECB.jpeg

Replaced the connection point between the upper and lower part of the DS front cowl that was all rotted out.
10951856-54A7-4695-B817-16CDE6042246.jpeg

2393A21A-8D02-46FE-9BCE-0BC441CEEB03.jpeg

Welded a few more holes on the front fender as well as strengthened some support areas on the inner fender areas. It was pretty beat up, maybe had been in a few fender venders over the last 47 years, so we straightened and smoothed it out as much as possible before a skim coat and some primer. Pretty happy with how it came out.
0231BA3E-AE2D-40CE-A41F-5EB84A283CF9.jpeg

EEBD1E66-6D9D-47BA-8E5F-E70EE4B26C5C.jpeg

Continued some more metal work of cutting out the rusted/rotted areas and welding in clean metal, especially the more important structural areas of the body panels. Beefed up the support area where the fender bolts to front part of the body with some thicker metal as well as the area that bolts to side step.
View attachment 3108237
Replaced the connection point between the upper and lower part of the DS front cowl that was all rotted out.
View attachment 3108238
View attachment 3108239
Welded a few more holes on the front fender as well as strengthened some support areas on the inner fender areas. It was pretty beat up, maybe had been in a few fender venders over the last 47 years, so we straightened and smoothed it out as much as possible before a skim coat and some primer. Pretty happy with how it came out.
View attachment 3108240
View attachment 3108241
Beautiful work... I'll have to come to check it out in person the time I'm on Oahu. I especially admire the skill it takes to do the work yourself.

Going to see the sharks tomorrow off North Shore! Here for the week enjoying family and Grandma Yuhs 97th birthday. Toured UH at Manoa where my daughter will start school in the spring.

Always looking for some good cruisers where ever we are driving. Once daughter starts school we will be here quarterly for sure, if we can ever bring anything for the project let us know.
So fun your daughter is going to UH, I hope she has a great experience there! And I’m super jealous you are going shark diving tomorrow, I love the cage-less dives and have been out several times, one of the tour operators parks his boat next to my house. Should be a great day tomorrow with the really calm seas right now, hopefully the wind stays light all morning for you.

Test fitted the rear spare tire carrier (PO had bondo’d over and filled in the bolt holes). Cleaned them out and fit the latch/catch to see if everything lined up.
86132099-2F04-4486-B30C-6F09CBF39C04.jpeg

Worked as it should, Also test fit the bumperettes and rear step to see how they looked. None of these parts came with the purchase, so they were all sourced over the last few years collecting missing parts.
1284AE70-F623-4388-8EE3-5B2FF2515B8F.jpeg

0558E364-074A-4758-A99E-CCDA572DCDD1.jpeg

Also test fit some rear saloon doors. My 1975 isn’t the right year for them, but because this 40 will be topless year around, I will need some rear half doors or a tailgate on there.
C0F15A14-F63F-43A0-A362-757F4248EC10.jpeg

7A2B299D-8847-465C-823D-6983064BDC70.jpeg

It’s not all work and no play…
EF191B6C-AB45-410A-ABC7-0FEEAD8DAF92.jpeg

…in fact it’s actually the opposite, which is the reason this build is taking so long! But here’s some Hawaiian scenic pics of what’s going on when the 40 isn’t getting any work done.
3A6B0FB3-082B-4ECD-A21B-EE4140B7FB26.jpeg

86D82701-61F4-4752-8606-76007E66A145.jpeg

C1130D23-7240-49CF-94A5-A9C9A5A08DBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple videos from the engine swap, first start, cooling system fill and first drive.

I am so far behind on updating the progress on my ‘75 Fj40. I’m going to try and catch up to where I’m at. It’s such a slow build that it is harder to remember to update it. But here are some progress photos and updates.

Got the old bad engine all disconnected and tagged/labeled to remove. Disconnected the drive shafts, electrical, Speedo and e brake since the engine is coming out with the trans and transfer case.
View attachment 3107767
View attachment 3107768
View attachment 3107769
View attachment 3107770
View attachment 3107771
I remember when I was at that stage. 5 years ago! I’ve finally started reassembly. Post to come soon!

Scary steering, isint it!? Same with me…I was swinging that wheel myself and freaking out a bit, lol :)
My first few drives it was toed out about 1/4"... I was sweating bullets and it took everything I had to keep it on the road. I grew up on a farm and was 6'4" 215 lbs at the time. I can't see how anyone could have driven it like that.

The good news is that once set up right it was easy to drive. 100k miles with Armstrong steering later, I've converted to power steering... and it'll freshen up the front end and TREs... and it'll be good for another 100k miles.

My first few drives it was toed out about 1/4"... I was sweating bullets and it took everything I had to keep it on the road. I grew up on a farm and was 6'4" 215 lbs at the time. I can't see how anyone could have driven it like that.

The good news is that once set up right it was easy to drive. 100k miles with Armstrong steering later, I've converted to power steering... and it'll freshen up the front end and TREs... and it'll be good for another 100k miles.
That was just the initial test drive to see if the replacement engine worked and transmission cycled through its gears. A lot still needs to be done to tighten up the steering and alignment.

That was just the initial test drive to see if the replacement engine worked and transmission cycled through its gears. A lot still needs to be done to tighten up the steering and alignment.

I figured as much… mine was unbelievably bad the first trip. I can’t see how anyone else could have driven it on the road.,. It was that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom