Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the most difficult part of the conversion is certainly the wiring. However, there are guys in Australia that can help you out. They'll even build complete harnesses for you so it's plug and play. I'm currently working that out as I decided not to modify the dash harness myself...

As for the immobilizer, fun fact, early model HDJ101's, 98, 99 and I think 00 do not have an immobilizer from factory. My ECU is from a 99 HDJ101 and it checked out. So I would say keep an eye out for early model HDJ101 donor vehicles for your conversion. Also, as I understand, it's better to use an auto ECU as it will have cruise control as the manuals do not.

Also, stick with going with an FTE for your conversion. Yes, it's more of a hassle to get running, but it is the superior choice of the bunch. Keep it stock with a 3" exhaust and it'll go forever.
Thanks for the reply, GN, and I look forward to vicariously seeing how you do the wiring. At the moment the more likely thing I might do is add an AUS aftermarket turbo and 3 inch exhaust. The engine and truck have only 200K on the clock so they are quite young. But I saw that half-cut with the FTE and got tempted...

H151F Rebuild Complete

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

The gearbox rebuild was my last critical path prior to engine install. Next step - assemble drivetrain and then the engine goes in!

Well that was a pain in the butt.

Assembled the drivetrain and put the motor in last night! Took the entire day yesterday to do the job, it was not easy. The motor fought us every inch of the way, but it's in and looking really good.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

Nick,
Well done! Glad it’s finally in!

Nice work Nick! Please post the details of your YouTube channel…I don’t want to miss the videos of this process. Thanks for taking the time to document.

Nice work Nick! Please post the details of your YouTube channel…I don’t want to miss the videos of this process. Thanks for taking the time to document.

I will once I have videos produced! I'm actually hoarding footage so that I can release episodes weekly. Likely mid 2023 I'll have episodes ready to rock n roll on youtube.

A thing of beauty!

Very very busy weekend but it paid off Sunday night!

This isn't first startup (that video I've saved for a Youtube series) but boy this motor runs nice.

Hey Nick, what turbo are you running in the FTE? (apologies if it's listed previously, I couldn't find it)

Hey Nick, what turbo are you running in the FTE? (apologies if it's listed previously, I couldn't find it)

Hey there! No worries at all, I have not posted that information yet.

I am running a stock turbo. I'm keeping everything stock on the motor. I want this thing to last a long time and adding power is inversely proportional to reliability.

No big updates to report aside from a new windshield. Still working on electrical, trying to get cruise control working and waiting on a cluster from Australia to get the sub gauge working. Annoyingly, the tach signal and the sub tank stuff is on the same circuit board so I couldn’t use my 1FZ board for this conversion.

BAF880FA-4A36-42FD-AD96-DD8BB5C47C87.jpeg

No big updates to report aside from a new windshield. Still working on electrical, trying to get cruise control working and waiting on a cluster from Australia to get the sub gauge working. Annoyingly, the tach signal and the sub tank stuff is on the same circuit board so I couldn’t use my 1FZ board for this conversion.

View attachment 3151343
Is it just me or is that air box HUGE?

This is the diesel airbox. It's pretty substantial, as is the filter. It's also water washable.
Did you get an engine with the European VNT turbo or just the regular CT26?

Looking fine!

She moves!! Finally took the 100 for a short test drive. Lots more work needed but very excited to get it moving under its own power. I was beginning to get tired of moving trucks by hand all the time...

Sweet. Good work my friend. Did the fuel issue rear its ugly head on your test drive?

Those wheels look sweet!

Last edited:
Sweet. Good work my friend. Did the fuel issue rear its ugly head on your test drive?

Those wheels look sweet!

Nope, the motor ran perfectly. No stumbling or anything.

I'm looking forward to getting an exhaust finally, it sure is loud and obnoxious without one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom