Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should change out the grill as well the chrome part in the gxr should be gold not silver just like the emblem

No updates recently aside from new bearings installed in my alternator. Boy was that a pain. Didn't take any photos :censor:

Next project is tackling the infamous valve stem seals on my 1FZ. But first I took her on the last camping trip of the season in BC!

Pics taken near Radium BC.

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Replaced my valve stem seals this weekend with the head still on. The process was straight forward until cylinder 6 which was an absolute nightmare to remove. I actually had to jack up the gearbox to get the motor to tilt forward just enough to get at the last two valve springs.

Pulled the valve cover and proceeded to remove the camshafts. Used the FSM to remove camshafts which made it a breeze.

IMG_0860.JPG

Then used a hose adapter to pressure up the cylinder (with a filter to make sure no crap got in the cylinder) to hold the valves in place when I removed the valve springs and replaced the seals. Removing and replacing the valve stem seals was the easiest part, getting the keepers to seat was difficult on some valves.

IMG_0880.JPG

Hopefully that will stop or at least slow down my oil consumption!

Sorry for bumping the thread but i quite like your 100 & 80 LC builds, been reading through the progress and mods you done over the years. I find it interesting that someone bought and imported a GCC Spec FZJ100 instead of importing a USDM Land Cruiser.

Sorry for bumping the thread but i quite like your 100 & 80 LC builds, been reading through the progress and mods you done over the years. I find it interesting that someone bought and imported a GCC Spec FZJ100 instead of importing a USDM Land Cruiser.

Thank you! I've been dormant lately as l just bought a house so Cruiser progress is taking a back seat...

Well I had unique situation where I knew the owners personally and got good deals on them. Also, the FZJ100 I found to be so much more interesting than the USDM models and had better options. For example the US 100s have a 4.7 with auto trans ONLY and essentially not many options past that. Mine has the 2nd gen 1FZ which I find to run better with the H151 than my buddy's LX470 which I actually found more sluggish. The 5 speed is extremely rare in North America, sub tank wasn't offered there, neither was the fridge and part time transfer case. And of course the barn doors are my preferred icing on the cake compared to the lift up doors, but that's personal preference. Most guys on here prefer lift up back doors.

Thank you! I've been dormant lately as l just bought a house so Cruiser progress is taking a back seat...

Well I had unique situation where I knew the owners personally and got good deals on them. Also, the FZJ100 I found to be so much more interesting than the USDM models and had better options. For example the US 100s have a 4.7 with auto trans ONLY and essentially not many options past that. Mine has the 2nd gen 1FZ which I find to run better with the H151 than my buddy's LX470 which I actually found more sluggish. The 5 speed is extremely rare in North America, sub tank wasn't offered there, neither was the fridge and part time transfer case. And of course the barn doors are my preferred icing on the cake compared to the lift up doors, but that's personal preference. Most guys on here prefer lift up back doors.
I know that the US models came with 4.7 V8 and an auto only but i didn't know things like the Sub Tank, Cool Box and Part time 4WD were something that the US didn't get. I assumed it's something standard across all 100 series Land Cruisers from that era. My '99 Cruiser also has the updated 1FZ but sadly it has the 4 speed auto instead of 5 speed manual.

Did an oil change on the 100 and finally had both my GCC trucks side by side in Canada. Funny to think both these vehicles lived in the same town in Saudi Arabia for two decades and they wound up in the same place half way across the world.

96CFC406-3BE4-4C7B-BD86-50E3FD3E2030.jpeg

3849258A-5033-4DD0-BE1D-B99CD06BF858.jpeg

Saw your rig today at Crowchild trail W.
A beauty
I was coming back from a day trip to Waiparous

IMG-20191027-WA0043.jpg

this is an amazing journey. I just took the better part of an hour or two and read through every post. IT's a beautiful rig too! Thank you for documenting a unique vehicle and journey. I have a very pedestrian question compared to all the work you're doing here...
Have any idea where I can source the plain gray plastic side moldings on the doors and fenders/ quarters? My US spec painted ones are in crap shape, and I would love to go to the basic unpainted ones!

Thank you again.
-Jeff

Saw your rig today at Crowchild trail W.
A beauty
I was coming back from a day trip to Waiparous

View attachment 2118457

Saw yours as well yesterday! Looks very clean. I haven't been to Waiparous in a year or so since I sold my diesel 80 series. :(

this is an amazing journey. I just took the better part of an hour or two and read through every post. IT's a beautiful rig too! Thank you for documenting a unique vehicle and journey. I have a very pedestrian question compared to all the work you're doing here...
Have any idea where I can source the plain gray plastic side moldings on the doors and fenders/ quarters? My US spec painted ones are in crap shape, and I would love to go to the basic unpainted ones!

Thank you again.
-Jeff

Thank you!! That means a lot, I'm glad people are enjoying this thread. I'll keep it better updated once more wrenching continues. I'll be putting more work into my 80 than my 100 come 2020.

I certainly do! Unfortunately, I believe the gray, overseas spec moldings may not be compatible on US spec 100 series. If you look at the quarter panel, you'll see that the rear most molding goes under the tail light, where the overseas molding ends just short. I THINK the fitting won't be compatible but I can check.

Just curious, because I’ve never seen them, did toyota ever sell 105s in the GCC?

Just curious, because I’ve never seen them, did toyota ever sell 105s in the GCC?

Yup they did! But they were only sold as HZJ105s with barn doors, not FZJ105s. And they are also VERY rare in the GCC.

Yup they did! But they were only sold as HZJ105s with barn doors, not FZJ105s. And they are also VERY rare in the GCC.
I figured as much, fzj105L and hzj105L seem to be so rare as many areas where lots of 105s were sold are RHD. I actually have only seen them in the context of being used by NGOs, and because of that, very little information except a nice video by toyota Gibraltar stockholdings

I figured as much, fzj105L and hzj105L seem to be so rare as many areas where lots of 105s were sold are RHD. I actually have only seen them in the context of being used by NGOs, and because of that, very little information except a nice video by toyota Gibraltar stockholdings

Exactly, and because of the regions they were sold in, the odds of finding one in good shape are slim.

Exactly, and because of the regions they were sold in, the odds of finding one in good shape are slim.
Sad for those of us in the USA who don't want to deal with RHD. The first solution that comes to mind is buying a RHD 105 and swapping in the front axle/steering from a lhd 80 series, and the dash from a lhd 100 series. But I digress,
great work on the 100, the fzj100 seems so great to me with the electronic ignition.

I see what you're saying but I'm hoping that under my moulding is still painted quarter panel and no holes and so it won't matter. If you have a way of comparing or finding out I would be very appreciative. Thank you for your reply. Your rig is so awesome!

Just to add to this, you could get an HZJ105 in GX-R trim from some dealers in Saudi.
GX-R is the highest trim level for 6 cylinders so that means colored side moldings, body stripe, a center console with fridge, sunroof, auto windows, and wood trim.

But these are very rare!

Finally back wrenching on the 100! That was one long winter. I recently bought a house with a larger garage but it does not have heat yet so this winter was a write off when it came to making progress on my cruisers.

unnamed.jpg

So i have been dealing with some minor vibrations and steering wheel feedback that only occurs at speed and when I turn the steering wheel. Everything seemed to point at the front end since my vibrations got worse when I lifted the truck and the vibration would change when I locked the front hubs. First step was to look at bearings. My guess was LH side.

Sure enough, this is what I found when I pulled it apart.

1431656C-A130-45D2-ABBF-06CCB926364F.jpeg

Chinese bearing. Only one though! I bought Timken bearings from Rockauto and it seems like a Chinese bearing snuck its way into one of the boxes. This one in particular had more wear than the others on the rollers and race surface. I remember the LH wouldn't tighten up very nicely when I was setting preload. This might be the reason why. Also the RH looked perfect so I'll be putting it back together.

Here's the race from that bearing.

unnamed (1).jpg

And the washer was already starting to show wear after 30,000 km. Weirdly, it was only worn on half of the washer... seems like an angular load. In the image below there's wear on the TOP half of the washer, the lower half wasn't dug into the surface yet.

unnamed (2).jpg

Bearing issue is now fixed! When I put the front end together the first time, I was never able to get the fish scale to read the proper spec. Basically, no matter how much I tightened the 54mm nut it would NOT tighten up.

So, I bought a hub assembly which came with the bearings. More money....but it was for science.

IMG_2766.JPG

And what do you know, I got it to measure PERFECTLY on the fish scale.

I also noticed my oil pressure was reading a bit low, so I replaced the sensor as well. The old one was showing quite a lot of age!

IMG_2753.JPG

Lastly, today as I was walking towards my 100 I heard a noise that sounded a lot like a fan running which seemed to be coming from my 100... and sure enough, my AC Condenser fan was running while the truck was off! WTF! What makes this even funnier is the fact that I've never seen that fan run since I've owned the truck. I was pushing fixing it for a later date.

I did some reading and turns out the AC Condenser Fan Relay gets corroded due to its location under the bumper.

And, what do ya know:

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Not as bad as I suspected but will replace anyways!

Got new parts! Replaced my AC idler bearing and belt just in time for summer (I had already replaced the bearing but managed to lose the original parts when I moved houses this winter. Argh!). Also got the new AC condenser fan relay. Unfortunately the pin outs from the harness connector broke off from the corrosion. Looks like I'll be learning how to install new pin terminals!

61110963518__D8510CC9-E567-4B10-B489-F4007B10A8A3.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

Also managed to go on a trip to the interior BC to check out the French Mines near Hedley. SUPER cool! Easy and short trail access and the cave system there is quite impressive.

IMG_2994.JPG

WUSN5425.JPG

PCWW5469.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom