Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To put the steering in perspective, I can move the wheel an inch now and I can feel the truck start the turn in process. That’s never happened before. It feels very stable and progressive now. It used to be about 4 inches before you’d feel a response.

Last edited:
150 miles today. Steering is great and I really like the Toyo tires. Needs and alignment and some small things.

4997B100-22D7-49F6-A7DD-897D485E1959.jpeg

23DDE6D3-DD94-4D73-B17E-BE7FFBE11047.jpeg

8B0AA888-172E-4738-ADBB-3D457B9177FD.jpeg

Caught up on maintenence!

Koyo wheel bearings and seals
Timken wheel bearing grease
Front range off road ARP hub studs
New cone washers
OME Square front u bolts for the new 4* shims.

I cooked these last bearings. Lots of scoring on the race and not enough grease. They were wobbling under hard breaking from not being torqued right and had play up and down when you pushed on the wheel. I used a Lisle bearing packer this time and it was amazing. So much easier.

Also got to drive @FARMAN33 ‘s race 40 series. So much fun can’t be legal.

All is good now and I threw in a new aftermarket window regulator on the drivers side.

I can now work on other things. Like lockers.

C46E1B0D-5E29-416C-ACB0-01AF795B911E.jpeg

464D6BBE-9426-460B-89B6-A0E1D3763746.jpeg

68A34F0A-7810-4D30-AA5D-33A49EFAD439.jpeg

CAA56795-FF50-4049-98BE-438985EC6C0D.jpeg

EA1A0BC9-4B30-4D77-B61B-4D554BF8AFA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Caught up on maintenence!

Koyo wheel bearings and seals
Timken wheel bearing grease
Front range off road ARP hub studs
New cone washers
OME Square front u bolts for the new 4* shims.

I cooked these last bearings. Lots of scoring on the race and not enough grease. They were wobbling under hard breaking from not being torqued right and had play up and down when you pushed on the wheel. I used a Lisle bearing packer this time and it was amazing. So much easier.

Also got to drive @FARMAN33 ‘s race 40 series. So much fun can’t be legal.

All is good now and I threw in a new aftermarket window regulator on the drivers side.

I can now work on other things. Like lockers.

View attachment 2232195

View attachment 2232196

View attachment 2232197

View attachment 2232207

View attachment 2232209

I want and invite to wrench in that space!

Not really an update, but a testament to the current status of my build.

I’ve not driven the truck for a week and I’ve been driving my wife’s car. She has had zero complaints or issues from daily driving the 60.

She starts it in the morning and let’s it idle for 5 mins while she makes coffee, drives it .5 to 30 miles a day and it’s solid. She loves it and that allows more trucks in our future. She says “it’s our only fun old car that runs...”

I’m driving the 45 mpg diesel wagon while I commute around for work. 600 miles to a tank is sure nice. Let’s me save money for more cruiser parts.

My wife and I used to “fight” over who got to drive the cruiser on the weekends.

We’re sharing at the moment. When I’ve got her 40 up, there will be peace.

Soon to start a thread about this..but my truck has a pull to the right that is likely related to tires. I’m pretty bummed about it. I like the Toyo MT but at this point I can’t do much else aside from get them replaced or go to another tire.

Soon to start a thread about this..but my truck has a pull to the right that is likely related to tires. I’m pretty bummed about it. I like the Toyo MT but at this point I can’t do much else aside from get them replaced or go to another tire.
I have heard mixed reviews on those. Always the extremes too. Love or hate. Sorry if it is the tires. I was thinking of doing 255/85-16 tires but may try Yokohamas instead.

I have heard mixed reviews on those. Always the extremes too. Love or hate. Sorry if it is the tires. I was thinking of doing 255/85-16 tires but may try Yokohamas instead.

This is inexcusable, past getting the terrain tamer steering stabilizer from trail tailor, I’m not doing anything else.

I want them to special order a set of Yokohama’s or let me get my money back to go get my own from discount tire.

This is inexcusable, past getting the terrain tamer steering stabilizer from trail tailor, I’m not doing anything else.

I want them to special order a set of Yokohama’s or let me get my money back to go get my own from discount tire.
I was looking at the Yokos on Summit's website and they had an estimated ship date of 4/20. Not sure if they are just behind or all dealers for them are. Hope not. I have my own tire changer now so will be mounting/balancing my own, so I get them shipped free from the cheapest place I can.

Discount tire can get them. And I feel that they may actually mount them on the 6” wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom