Builds My first FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carb is in and she’ll fire up. Won’t stay running unless I keep it at full choke, but it’s a major step forward from where I was. Time to double check the vacuum lines and then back to the FSM for adjustment procedures.

E3FE5E60-0405-441F-B341-23FAE0A28A4A.jpeg

Ok...got her to idle around 900-950 rpm without dying. I need to fabricate a small screwdriver to get at the idle mix screw. It's a tight fit anyway, but my fat sausage fingers aren't making it any easier!

Mr. T thought of a lot of things, but what couldn't they have figured out a way to just turn the carb 90* !?!

Put one of these together and your fat sausage fingers will thank you. ;)

19A1A564-8105-4B9D-AA57-EBDB774DB08C.jpeg

Finally got around to finishing the sound deadner in my doors. Overall not hard to do and pretty fast. I was hoping for better results though. It is quieter, but obviously not almost silent like a modern car. I had my fingers crossed for an amazing level of difference. I do like how the doors sound and feel when you open and close them now. Much more solid and not like just slamming a piece of sheet metal. The only downside is that I can hear other things going on that I couldn't before. For instance...I can now hear that it sounds like I have a loose dash pad clip...it's driving me crazy to hear it rattling in there, but I'm really looking forward to pulling the dash again!

Glad I got around to this...turns out the PS front didn't even have any plastic in there. Also lubed all the window regulators while I was in there.
IMG_0527.jpeg

A little butyl cord and some trimmed drop cloth...good as new! (yes, after the pic I ran the handle op rod back through the plastic)
IMG_0528.jpeg

Pretty thoughtless and slightly mundane job, but gave me time to think about how I might tackle restoring the door cards. I'll possibly be learning about upholstery techniques later tonight :hmm:.

Now if I can just get the engine temp down to somewhere I feel more comfortable. Drove about 35 miles today and the gauge stayed pretty consistent. It's staying at about 3/4 of the way up the white line. Still considered within operating temps, but higher than I'd like. I don't know how it would have done today if it were summer temps outside .

E276A5CF-92B8-4BF8-9F62-5CFDC9016837.png

Upholstery classes just get these ABS door cards.

about 3/4 of the way up
My truck was always at that level, it did bother me but I chalked it up to the gauge. I do think one of the sensors that @Spike Strip added either here or somewhere else is a worthwhile purchase for simple peace of mind.

BE5E0DEE-AAF0-4B06-8B83-810C6DAAE28B.png

Performed a little seat surgery today using the frame I picked up from another MUD member. A little steam to bring the foam back to life, maybe not totally but better anyway, and some upholstery swapped...new seat back.

So nice to have a seat I can adjust!!!
BB6C6981-57DB-463B-BCAA-CFDF171D94A3.jpeg

Temps were warm enough the last week to do some painting. Didn't get any pics because I usually don't think of it until AFTER I'm done. I pulled the better bumpers off my parts truck, banged out some the minor dents, and blacked them out with some chassis paint over some epoxy primer. I feel much better getting rid of the bent and deformed front bumper and I like the way the "blacking out" is coming along.

FABA3499-9C1B-47B2-80F9-2CACD9DC9C8F.jpeg

Had today off so I knocked out a couple other little projects. First I installed the new door weatherstripping I ordered from @TRAIL TAILOR . Super easy and fast install and it sealed everything up nicely. Now all I can hear is the whine of the trans and on the highway at about 65-70mph the airflow around the FJ62 mirrors makes some noise. Not bad considering what this is.

I also took 2 minutes to do the 12v buzzer mod listed in the FAQ section so I get an "alarm" if I leave my headlights on.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be as warm as it'll be for a while. Looks like I'll be tackling the radiator/WP/fan clutch install.

I’d like to say I made it here with all the original parts, but she got a new radiator, WP, and fan clutch a couple weeks ago. Regardless...doing pretty good!

EA070116-D920-4763-B457-9CE66C9B5555.jpeg

This thing is going to look totally B.A....

96A2618B-8C68-465E-90FA-DD518D287FCD.jpeg

I actually did get these put on Chloe tonight, but didn’t make it out for a test drive. I sprung a leak in my DS caliper and suddenly had no brakes. One day I’ll get ahead of the game on the thing :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom