The weather was unusually warm this weekend so I continued “de-chroming” Chloe. The PO had a re-spray done in the original color and clear coat. Based on the up close quality of the re-spray, I’m guessing the painter was paid a 12-pack for the job up front and possibly drank half of it before starting.
Since the all black non-US spec outer window felts are a different shape than the original chrome parts, I had to get creative to hide old paint because I didn’t want to go through the entire process for properly blending the silver and then clear coating all the panels. I’ll tackle that one day when she takes a rest for a full on body work and paint job.
Today’s goal was to pull the last of the chrome, get all the rusty rock chips fixed, and have her look half-way decent for daily driving for the next year or so. I was actually impressed by the finish I was able to get with rattle can paint and clear coat.
Now I just gotta put her back together....by tomorrow morning
I had the dash apart and decided to go the extra mile. I replaced the material that goes on the gauge bezel to fill the gap between it and the steering column. If you even want to be this level of nerd, here’s what I did.
An $0.89 sheet of craft foam and a razor blade is all you need.
Roughly cut to shape and press it against the little attachment posts on the back of the bezel.
Cut small “x’s” at the marked spots, slip over the posts, trim to size, done. I ended up trimming just a little bit more on the final install.