My first '40 and the venture (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seeing Ian's (@RevISK )post with his bloody knuckles and where he started...

Here is mine - and this is after several degreasing sessions - got plastic scrapers too that are helping to speed it up. Might be my Saturday...

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

Parts still arriving.

Seeing Ian's (@RevISK )post with his bloody knuckles and where he started...

Here is mine - and this is after several degreasing sessions - got plastic scrapers too that are helping to speed it up. Might be my Saturday...

View attachment 3564791

View attachment 3564792

Parts still arriving.
I highly recommend getting a parts washer.
Highly.

Also, budget more than just one day to account for paint and whatever gotcha is in there.

If you need any parts/tools let me know, you have my number.

Also, if not already planning on it, it’s a great time to replace your brake lines there.

Also, if not already planning on it, it’s a great time to replace your brake lines there.
Yeah - I'm going full on lazy and where I want to spend my time. Bending tubes, while not hard, would be a nightmare for me. It would take me at least 2 miles of tube and a case of beer (after) to get the bends.

Sooo - I am going with classic tube. I got the clutch tube to see how it is as a test, and going to go full monty and get the brakes now - so in the spring, it is just stacking wood with all the parts at hand.

I will be curious how the birfs look and if best to get new ones or just get all new axles with the 30 spline vs the 30-27 spline. pro/cons like everything. I won't be doing serious rock crawling (like the Rubicon) in this - It's Nebraska - so I don't need the HD 300M chrome bla bla bla is my current thinking.

image.jpg

Via cruiser TEQ. Takes a wee bit of massaging but you’ll be taking the old ones off anyway.

Back for a short turn and back on road. Pulled doors off - addressing the window crank issue (door bends and outer door handle screws hit the regulator - ) anyway - some rot at bottom of driver door and decided to just go all in = dropped doors of a chem pace to dip doors and remove all paint and rust and then fix, prime, paint, all new weatherstripping, door cards, vapor barrier from @GA Architect, etc. - most came this week while gone. Chem place said 2 weeks or so - and I thought of other parts I will drop off Monday on way to airport.

Inventorying the parts and will see what I have or missed for what I hope is a major effort come April or so. Forgot to order the passenger weatherstrip for the door - so will be making another for sure.

IMG_4942.jpg
IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

Thought I took more pictures of the door with all the pin holes after I tried to clean it up and before I decided to just chem to strip it of it's past paint and rust - looks like the outside was patched in the past when looking inside.

IMG_4980.jpg

Time to hijack for a second, but every Friday we get pizza and I was coming back home and I saw a charcoal 40 and it made me really want to drive mine again. I was planning on getting the front clip and radiator off this weekend but I think that I might pull the motor and get it on the stand and start to see the damage.

Want to take a minute and call it as I see it. Been driving to break it in, see how it performs etc. Short story long - in previous posts, struggled a year ago with carb - got a second one, same thing, rebuild my 78 carb 2x - nope - so I sent it to Mark's Off Road (@65swb45) for more practiced hands vs mine....

Anyway - got gas last weekend when meeting fellow Cruisers Heads and I got the best MPG so far. 15 mpg. Granted the wind has been a lot less, AND I am not mashing it to see how it is performing - I'm cruising around 60-65 now when on interstate/highways - and no higher even if a) Yellr does go faster b) the speed limit is faster.

Thanks Mark!

IMG_4937.jpg

Want to take a minute and call it as I see it. Been driving to break it in, see how it performs etc. Short story long - in previous posts, struggled a year ago with carb - got a second one, same thing, rebuild my 78 carb 2x - nope - so I sent it to Mark's Off Road (@65swb45) for more practiced hands vs mine....

Anyway - got gas last weekend when meeting fellow Cruisers Heads and I got the best MPG so far. 15 mpg. Granted the wind has been a lot less, AND I am not mashing it to see how it is performing - I'm cruising around 60-65 now when on interstate/highways - and no higher even if a) Yellr does go faster b) the speed limit is faster.

Thanks Mark!

View attachment 3571399
Is that an app that you’re using?

I build a spreadsheet for my phone - that way I just punch the date, odometer, and gallons in when I gas up. I can share it with you if you want.

I have a conversion since the speed the meter says and what the GPS computes differs, and the dyno confirmed the difference and my calcs (apologies - I'm and engineer so love numbers and calculations).

👍🏻
Glad to help.😊

I saw on another thread someone playing with AI - waiting for the workday to start so I thought I'd mess around here in the hotel to kill time this am... going for the Book of Eli meets Ol Yellr vibe

View attachment 3576091

or

I saw on another thread someone playing with AI - waiting for the workday to start so I thought I'd mess around here in the hotel to kill time this am... going for the Book of Eli meets Ol Yellr vibe

View attachment 3576091

or

View attachment 3576092
I LOVE IT EVEN THOUGH IT IS AI

Not much to add - certainly no picts. Back from that long-a$$ travel for a short bit.

Been ordering more stuff I missed or just how to sequence the funding of it all. Picked up another metal run for the doors (if I'm doing one, do them both), same with weather strip. Same as pict above just more.

Getting the rear shocks - then should have all I need for suspension - will take picts when closer to full hardware mode.

Lastly, just ordered a RMAN 80 amp alternator tonight - the ones that go in 60/62 series - @Coolerman has a kit to convert to the right plug - there is a tread too. I figure it can't hurt and I read the lights everyone is getting uses a bit more power. Plus my long=term goal is to use the Racer EPS - main reason.

I got a cheap batter volt meter and going to see if I can mod it to fit where the ammeter goes since that thing is worthless.

Not sure I know what the Racer EPS is, assuming an Exernal Power Source?

I built one out of a trolling motor box, inverter and deep cycle battery connected to my solar panel on my tundra. Not elegant, but cheap… like me😉

Not sure I know what the Racer EPS is, assuming an Exernal Power Source?

Electric Power Steering - I am so copying Nolans "Formula" Like my Christmas Story told. Nice interview of Nolan in this Months Toyota Trails magazine. He just posted instructions on the Whitney thread he has going on.

I got the kit from Valley Hybrid to use a mini-truck power steering box - but after thinking about it a lot more - I don't want to go that route.

Electric Power Steering - I am so copying Nolans "Formula" Like my Christmas Story told. Nice interview of Nolan in this Months Toyota Trails magazine. He just posted instructions on the Whitney thread he has going on.

I got the kit from Valley Hybrid to use a mini-truck power steering box - but after thinking about it a lot more - I don't want to go that route.

Kicking the can on PS/EPS, talked about it early on during the Course of Action analysis for 2.0. What was your screening criteria on the decision to go “electric” vice conventional power steering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom