My 80 went swimming help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, what we thought was sand, ended up being quick sand. Literally, my truck was 4' deep at about a 45 degree angle. Had a shop clean out much of the mud, none got into the engine, and I've now installed a snorkel in case I run into quick sand again.

My problem...there's been a clicking/squeaking noise as I drive, and a bit of a grind at times when I turn. Been reading threads to try and solve the problem and figured before I went too far, I'd ask for a little advice. Comparable issues for others seemed to be the U joints and greasing them (which, I didn't know you're supposed to do on a regular basis, but will do so now). My other concern is about the knuckles. Thinking it is possible that mud that has now dried found it's way in there, causing potentially both the clicking as well as a rare grind sound when turning. All of this sound is new since I went swimming in quick sand. I'll pull off the driver's side front wheel soon and clean out any mud that's still hidden as I did with the PS front wheel this weekend. I even found a rock stuck on the side of the bottom of the PS front shock towards the wheel (where the bolts point towards the lower shock connection). I've now greased the U joints in the front driveshaft and will additionally do the rear soon.

To clarify what I greased, inside of the u joint at the very front of the drive shaft zerk, I pushed grease until it pushed out old grease and grime, and the zerk just behind the u joint at the start of the drive shaft, I did 2 pumps (should I do more there?) Should I consider pulling out the entire front drive shaft, cleaning and re-greasing?

I'm wondering about the bushings in the front especially the sway bar if I should simply silicone grease them, or if I should replace?...and if that could be causing the noise.

Additionally, should I do a rebuild of the knuckles just to make sure? Should I put moly grease into the knuckles prior to considering rebuilding them as I didn't seem to have any leaking prior to, nor after.

After greasing the U joints, I do think it made a slight difference, especially during accelerating. The noise only seems to be happening now when I decelerate, but is still happening, whereas prior to, it seemed to be doing it on accelerating as well.

The engine wasn't completely submerged since I was at the angle I was, but this mud/sand was everywhere. I've tried to clean it out well and still keep finding it.

Any other recommendations of what the noise could be that I should check or parts I should replace? It's perhaps not the best angle, and happy to rework the video, but I strapped my phone to the control arm to try and get a sense of where the noise was coming from. Here's the video I did record:

So, essentially, what I was thinking of doing/checking was:

Knuckles (add moly grease or recond)?
Front bushings
Greasing drive shaft
Checking bolts for anything loose (which I haven't found anything as of yet)

Anything else you'd recommend, or can you identify what else I should check considering the sound in the video?

Many thanks for any insights!

There was a thread recently about another 80 going swimming. I would search for that on what you should change like oils and grease.

More than likely the noise is in the front axle.

Don't worry about the bushings, they can handle being submerged.

The front diff probably has mud and water inside of it. I would drain the fluid into something clean to see and then change it.
Pull the dust cap off the axle hub assembly and see if you have water inside. More than likely you will have to pull the entire hub and repack the knuckles / birf and wheel bearings.
You could have water inside the transmission as well, not saying that's causing any noise but still an issue.
I would also check all electrical connectors for moisture, then reseal after drying out with dielectric grease.

Thanks, I actually did buy diff oil for the front axle and was planning on draining and refilling, didn't seem to me there was much of a way for the water to get in there, but I suppose through the ends of the axle it's quite possible. Probably a good idea to do the knuckles/birf anyways. As far as water in the transmission, any not so difficult ways to check, or to open it up to dry it out? Hadn't explored/thought about that one as of yet. I'll change out the front diff tomorrow and see what that accomplishes.

your in-box is full

Thanks, I actually did buy diff oil for the front axle and was planning on draining and refilling, didn't seem to me there was much of a way for the water to get in there, but I suppose through the ends of the axle it's quite possible. Probably a good idea to do the knuckles/birf anyways. As far as water in the transmission, any not so difficult ways to check, or to open it up to dry it out? Hadn't explored/thought about that one as of yet. I'll change out the front diff tomorrow and see what that accomplishes.

The water gets in through the breather. It's a small rubber hose connection near the brake line connection.

For the trans fluid just check the fluid on the dipstick. It should be pinkish and not smell burnt or appear watery.

Anything and everything that requires lubrication, has seals should be addressed including wheel bearings, brakes, all the parts contained in the steering knuckles, diffs, tie rod ends, drive shafts to name a few things.

So, of course the lower bolt on the front diff stripped. I got the front one off no problem. Any recommendations for removing that bolt with it slightly stripped, or am I stuck trying to drill through it and remove it with a broken screw remover type application? Also, I saw on another post somewhere that if you change the diff oil, it's a good time to replace those screws...any recommendations once I'm actually able to get it out?!?! Also, the oil in the front diff, is a very dark gray, kinda of like a dark gray sludge, not chunky, but far from clean oil. It's just coming out of the upper hole at the moment, it's possible there are some chunks in there, but difficult to tell. Likely will be easier to tell once I can get the bottom bolt off. My other question, especially if mud did get in there, is there an appropriate way to flush the system? Should I fill it, drive it, and redo the process?

Don't forget to clean out your alternator and starter motor. Both will die in short time if full of water and sand.

Good idea on changing the plugs out. If it's stripped you have to get creative. I would drill as a last resort.

Maybe vise grips or ideally get the socket that grips rounded bolts.

The oil sounds contaminated. Check your breather too, make sure it's not clogged.

Good idea on changing the plugs out. If it's stripped you have to get creative. I would drill as a last resort.

Maybe vise grips or ideally get the socket that grips rounded bolts.

The oil sounds contaminated. Check your breather too, make sure it's not clogged.

Will check the breather, love the advice & tips, thanks! Ordered a 24 MM bolt extractor from Amazon, hoping that works!

get an extractor socket set and try that, or find someone with a welder and have them weld a nut onto it. Get a breaker bar on it and give it a good whack, dont throw an impact on it, i think that nut is pretty low torque like 27ft-lb or something so it shouldnt be a bear.

Some pictures would help out on the fluid but it sounds like you got water in through your breather and may have forced some sand in through the knuckle wipers? Pictures help though, its tough to describe.

From your video it seems like the sound is intermittent? Can you describe when you hear it if so? Accelerating, decelerating, turning, braking, etc.

Also, try removing your front driveshaft and lock your center, try driving then and see what noises you hear. Remember to mark your flanges on the pinions and shaft so you can reattach same.

get an extractor socket set and try that, or find someone with a welder and have them weld a nut onto it. Get a breaker bar on it and give it a good whack, dont throw an impact on it, i think that nut is pretty low torque like 27ft-lb or something so it shouldnt be a bear.

Some pictures would help out on the fluid but it sounds like you got water in through your breather and may have forced some sand in through the knuckle wipers? Pictures help though, its tough to describe.

From your video it seems like the sound is intermittent? Can you describe when you hear it if so? Accelerating, decelerating, turning, braking, etc.

After pushing grease into the U joints in the forward shaft, it now seems that the noise is mostly happening on deceleration. Seem to happen both when accelerating as well as decelerating previously.

Pinion bearing maybe the issue? Id get the lower drain off, open up knuckles and get your front 3rd member off for a look.

Afternoon D, We met on sunday. I was in the white cruiser.

bad luck with the drain plug. drill as a last resort, but before it comes to that, I would try hitting it with penetrating oil overnight, and then attack it with a hammer, then a torch. (the magic is in the marinade)

The sluge-oil is a bad sign, does it look like its oil mixed with water? If it's coming out the fill (upper) hole then you probably got some water into the axle via the breather. The other possibility is that water in the knuckle went through the knuckle-axle seal, in that case you probably need to rebuild your knuckle.

I second @ccslider in that you should pulloff your dust caps and check for sand/water. Another check you could do is to check out the grease inside your birf. Just undo the square fill plug on the knuckle and stick your pinky inside (or qtip, i have fat fingers) the grease should be very thick.

In case you do end up going the knuckle rebuild route, I can give some in-person guidance for the install. I even have some race installers if you choose to change out your wheel bearings.

In terms of cleaning out your 'dirty' axles, whether or not you replace your knuckles, I would just fill up the axle with cheap gear oil, and flush it after a few (10ish) miles.

Good luck.

Use a 24mm 6-pt socket and then hit it with an impact. Or, and depending on how it’s stripped, you might be able to hammer a 23mm socket onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom