Please Help Identifying Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving back from the desert last weekend after some wheeling and have been experiencing a groaning noise coming from what sounds like the front left wheel. This is a ‘96 1fz. It usually happens around 20-30 mph while I’m engaging the accelerator and making a shallow left hand turn. No noise occurs when making a tight turn or when turning right. It tends to occur when the wheel is turned 45 degrees to the left. The noise usually ceases when I finish the turn or if I turn the wheel further.

I managed to capture it on video. There is also a slight vibration in the wheel while the noise is occurring.

I’m not sure what the noise is coming from, my intuition is telling me it’s a wheel bearing. I’d like to consult the experts before I move forward.

Most likely wheel bearings.
Could also be a dry spindle if you don't have enough grease in the knuckle.

Any recent service to the front axle?

Torque front wheel bearings to 35 LB-FT while rotating. Then lock nut to 45 LB-FT.

Thanks for the info. I have the wheel bearing ordered and going to replace it this weekend. Considering replacing the axle seal and servicing that while I’m there. Haven’t personally done axle work so I’m a little nervous but I see there is tons of information to teach me so I think I’m going to give it a try.:beer:

Thanks for the info. I have the wheel bearing ordered and going to replace it this weekend. Considering replacing the axle seal and servicing that while I’m there. Haven’t personally done axle work so I’m a little nervous but I see there is tons of information to teach me so I think I’m going to give it a try.:beer:
If you have not already downloaded your FSM from the RESOURCES section above, do it now and read up on the section you need.

Don't buy shyt bearings from O'Reilly's or the like. They will NOT perform as well.

You may not NEED new bearings. You maybe only need to check them, pack them, and properly adjust them.

But be prepared to install all new bearings and seals.

Cruiser Outfitters has a great complete kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom