1995 Landcruiser won't start. It makes a quick clicking noise. It might be a loose wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I heard the TLC is great except that it has brake and electrical problems. So when the starter would go, I assumed that this was one of the electrical problems.
Any vehicle will have "problems" if it is not maintained. Your truck is now 29 years old and the aftermarket wiring looks like it was done by a child.
If you maintain this vehicle properly it won't have "problems". If you have issues with your brakes, then fix them. If all the soft brake lines, vacuum lines, coolant hoses, belts, and other wear items are 29 years old, they don't really owe you anything more.
Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

Well said. The brakes are in good condition now, but they wear out quickly. Maybe the weight of the vehicle, maybe my driving.
Any vehicle will have "problems" if it is not maintained. Your truck is now 29 years old and the aftermarket wiring looks like it was done by a child.
If you maintain this vehicle properly it won't have "problems". If you have issues with your brakes, then fix them. If all the soft brake lines, vacuum lines, coolant hoses, belts, and other wear items are 29 years old, they don't really owe you anything more.
Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.ll said.

I replaced the starter in mine in 2018. 25 years old. I'm pretty certain it would have been the original
I never realized that a starter can last that long! I googled any saw that:
"Ongoing engine starting issues, such as leaking fuel injectors, faulty coil pack, fouled spark plugs and vapour lock, can put excess strain on the starter motor and, if not resolved, can lead to a complete failure of the starter motor."

So, I probably have other repairs that I need to make so that the starter lasts longer. I know the negative battery cable terminal connection is broken, so I'll get that replaced. I can't remember ever changing the spark plugs, so I should do that, which may help with the rough idle. I'll ask my mechanic what else he recommends. I guess just changing the starter seemed to resolve the starting problem, but now I'm thinking that I was just making a short term fix, and need to fix other stuff (like the battery cables and connections and spark plugs) for a long term fix.

Thanks for your input!

You should probably take it to someone who knows land cruisers, if not, you are probably not going to get good results and bunch China put into your engine. Both of my 80s are the original starters, they are rebuildable if you didn’t know.
I would also trace that shady wiring and see where it goes, kinda weird you don’t know

By the looks of your battery connections and wiring, then add a history of multiple starter replacements, IMHO its past time to find another mechanic (or start doing your own repairs).

Last edited:
Well, AAA stopped by to tow the TLC. The driver asked if he could try to start it, heard the fast clicking, and said "That's the battery!" He then jumpstarted it, and it started right up. (I guess my mobile jump starter wasn't strong enough to start it or I didn't know what I was doing. I guess even if the dome light and the alarm works, it doesn't mean that the battery is strong enough to start the vehicle)

I then drove it to the mechanic, explained what had happened, and he asked how often I drive it. I then realized that I had been mostly driving a new car that I recently got, and only drove the TLC just 1 mile a couple of times a week to the local jogging path. He said that I need to drive it at least 15 minutes a couple of times a week to fully recharge the battery. Thus, I plan to start driving the TLC to the local public transit for work, which is about 15 minutes away. He also said that the blue wire running diagonally across the engine was for the aftermarket alarm. He said the red wire probably should be connected to the battery. Overall, he said that it made no sense to him why the alarm wires were connected to the passenger wiper blade motor. Anyhow, he said that since its been like that for 20 years, I probably don't want to spend my money having him trace it and reroute it. Anyhow, he'll do the following work:

1. Test the battery that is still under warranty, and change it if necessary.
2. Replace the negative battery terminal that cracked and any other connections to the battery that he thought needed replacement
3. Change the spark plugs (I hope this helps the starter last longer. I may have had someone replace the spark plugs 15 years ago, but can't remember)
4. Fix the leak from the power steering fluid reservoir
5. Replace the hood lifters, which sometime can't support the weight of the hood.
6. Make any other repairs that he thought were necessary on a time and materials basis.

Well, I should have it back on Tuesday. I'll send and update and some photos then.

Well, AAA stopped by to tow the TLC. The driver asked if he could try to start it, heard the fast clicking, and said "That's the battery!" He then jumpstarted it, and it started right up. (I guess my mobile jump starter wasn't strong enough to start it or I didn't know what I was doing. I guess even if the dome light and the alarm works, it doesn't mean that the battery is strong enough to start the vehicle)

I then drove it to the mechanic, explained what had happened, and he asked how often I drive it. I then realized that I had been mostly driving a new car that I recently got, and only drove the TLC just 1 mile a couple of times a week to the local jogging path. He said that I need to drive it at least 15 minutes a couple of times a week to fully recharge the battery. Thus, I plan to start driving the TLC to the local public transit for work, which is about 15 minutes away. He also said that the blue wire running diagonally across the engine was for the aftermarket alarm. He said the red wire probably should be connected to the battery. Overall, he said that it made no sense to him why the alarm wires were connected to the passenger wiper blade motor. Anyhow, he said that since its been like that for 20 years, I probably don't want to spend my money having him trace it and reroute it. Anyhow, he'll do the following work:

1. Test the battery that is still under warranty, and change it if necessary.
2. Replace the negative battery terminal that cracked and any other connections to the battery that he thought needed replacement
3. Change the spark plugs (I hope this helps the starter last longer. I may have had someone replace the spark plugs 15 years ago, but can't remember)
4. Fix the leak from the power steering fluid reservoir
5. Replace the hood lifters, which sometime can't support the weight of the hood.
6. Make any other repairs that he thought were necessary on a time and materials basis.

Well, I should have it back on Tuesday. I'll send and update and some photos then.

Sounds sensible.

I agree it doesn't sound like you drive it enough to fully charge the battery.

Lights and alarm will tolerate low voltage. Starter needs close to a full charge to deliver the sudden burst of current needed to work

Got a new battery, negative battery cable, sparkplugs, etc. It runs a lot quieter. My mechanic noticed an exhaust leak in the front exhaust y-pipe, which I have a muffler guy looking at now. Thanks for everyone's help!

IMG_2651.jpg

You could also get a battery tender to keep your battery charged up during periods of inactivity. I used them for years on sports cars and motorcycles that sat unused for longer stretches of time.

You could also get a battery tender to keep your battery charged up during periods of inactivity. I used them for years on sports cars and motorcycles that sat unused for longer stretches of time.
That's a good idea. Simpler than hooking up a solar panel on the roof to keep it charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom