Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ouch Danny, looks like a rock may have bounced up in the fan at some point.

You’re probably right, Roger.

I can’t find a rock or any indication of rock damage... other than the fan blade itself.

I would have expected to have heard a rock in a spinning fan.

But, it happened and I never heard a thing... perhaps damage to plastic fan blades isn’t nearly as noisy as I would have expected.

Your hood latch got sucked up into the engine compartment during that ride video.... simple logic! :hillbilly:

You have my utmost respect Danny. Your formative years were most certainly made up of hard and dangerous work. I don't do crop spraying with any of those chemicals as most of them have been banned for the reasons you have stated. We do use BT on spruce bud worms but it is not dangerous to humans. And, we now auger the fertilizer into the hopper instead of humping the bags like you did.

I did my share of farm chores and hauling hay bales, about 60 lbs, but you have my respect Danny.

time to teach one of the little guys to do the low hanging work. Not having a lift im trying to figure out ways to make working on cruisers more comfortable. Its hard to want to get out there after knowing Ill be sore for work the next day. I think I need to get a creeper with some padding or some pads to throw down before I get down; like stadium seat cushions especially for my knees. My grandfather used old carpet scraps with padding under in his garage around the vehicles to make it more comfortable.

I enjoyed catching up on your adventures from your posts. Hope you get some good spring weather.

I also have a nissan patrol fitted with a 6.5 chev diesel and i went to service it a week ago and noticed 4 blades completely missing and another one damaged. I never heard a thing

It wasn't me!!!

I've never been to Oz... Except, vicariously, thru @Bambi Girl... Or, through the written works of Len Beadell.

It's curious that this anomaly has occurred in Nevada and in New South Wales... Both begin with the letter "N" :hmm:

I'll keep an eye on news coming out of Nambia... ;)

I guess we'll never know exactly what happened... But, it's fun to surmise... Perhaps, potential EMP events should be less concerning than this new "pulse" that is designed to cut the blades off of fans, in places that begin with the letter "N".

Let's see how fast this spreads. :D

Cheers mate!!

You have my utmost respect Danny. Your formative years were most certainly made up of hard and dangerous work. I don't do crop spraying with any of those chemicals as most of them have been banned for the reasons you have stated. We do use BT on spruce bud worms but it is not dangerous to humans. And, we now auger the fertilizer into the hopper instead of humping the bags like you did.

I did my share of farm chores and hauling hay bales, about 60 lbs, but you have my respect Danny.

Thanks Roger.

My exposure to dangerous chemicals and hard manual labor was the complete naïveté of an unsupervised young man, meandering through the minefield most refer to as "life".

I don't recall actually mixing BT, but I think aerial spraying of BT began after I was already out of it and into the AF.

I did neglect to mention DDT... it was a favorite in the mid-late 60s. But, the government sprayed DDT on our neighborhoods as far back as I can recall... To try to control/eradicate mosquitos.

I was very lucky to come out the other side of adolescence, alive, in good health and in possession of all appendages. I made "good" money, for an uneducated laborer, once I found my way into the really dangerous stuff. Much better than my 13 year old $.50/hour wage for bucking 100lb bags of potatoes.

But, one of my peers, wasn't so fortunate. "Poison Eddie" was two years my senior and was so named, guess why? He probably spent most of his formative years in a hospital bed. The company paid medical, for poisoning incidents... They also assigned poisoning patients to unpaid leave. Eddie died before he could be drafted.

I like to think I was more careful than Eddie, but who knows... Once I realized the potential ramifications of my naïveté, I have always had a nagging expectation of a penny dropping... I quit a 22 year, 2-pack/day cigarette habit, Edit: 35 (not 36) years ago this month... But, I STILL fully expect lung cancer at some point... mainly because of the chemical exposures. I'm ~14 years post prostate cancer diagnosis... so far, that's all.

Of course, flying in the "dirty" hopper of a Stearman Biplane was just another of my poor decisions. But, it was fun nonetheless!! The dogfights, between Jack-n-Off Rye and Screwy Louie (the two lead pilots) were legendary and quite real, from the hopper.

The company offered to pay all expenses, to teach me to fly and obligate me to fly for them. But, I didn't do college, so no deferments... I joined the USAF before I was drafted and learned to write computer software and served in support positions. Once I retired, I made some really good money, for 23 years, primarily as a contractor (Software Developer and Software Engineer) for many civilian entities, and built my own very nice retirement. In the game of life, I think I was very fortunate to land, perhaps, the best Air Force job available... In, at the time, an up-and-coming technology!!

Oh, I almost forgot, while preparing to start Tech School, the AF got way behind on their class schedules... Future programmers were reassigned to either combat medic or food service. I was pulling KP when I was told to report to my programming class on Monday morning. So, another win for naïveté!!

In retrospect, I'll always have a modicum of "Survivors' Guilt", for serving in support positions, while true heroes like you were out in the jungle, putting you lives on the line every day and night.

YOU will always have my utmost respect Roger.

Thank you for the nice things you said.

Last edited:
Back at you Danny...The twists and turns we all make in life tend to mold our personalities for sure. Happy you did well in the computer business. I am a total moron when it comes to computers except spread sheets which I use daily in my business. Hats off to you man!

And, so happy you quit the smoking thing as we want to keep you around for a long while. BTW, peeled my share of potatoes in Army boot camp but it put me first in line for the chow.

I just discovered the remnants of an event that recently occurred, but was apparently quieter than 44’s engine noise.

May I just first say... autocorrect is really pissing me off!! If I WANT to sound like a blithering idiot, I am perfectly capable on my own!!!

Anyway... I just discovered 44’s fan has a broken blade (I’ve stood it up, behind the rad hose in the pic). It looks like the broken blade bounced around and chewed up the end of the other blades.

I’m surprised the radiator fins aren’t damaged. But, I see no signs that the broken blade ever made contact with the fins.

I split my shroud a long time back... the shroud is perfectly stable and is locked in place, across the cut, on the top, using a length of aluminum and a couple of sheet metal screws.

Since I can’t make the shround come in contact with the fan blades, I checked the motor mounts and they are all tight.

Also checked the fan and it’s not loose or wobbling.

The blade has some knicks in the end and a fairly clean break in the other end.

I’d feel better knowing why it broke... but, I don’t.

So, I’ll order a replacement and take a nap.

Gratuitous picture of a different sort of fan

Cause or effect? The belt on the passenger side looks frayed in the pic. How close does the fan come to that pulley?

Oh yeah, about that auto correct. Check out @LAMBCRUSHER sig line. Simon told me THAT was an autocorrect that was SO ludicrous he had to immortalize it.

Cause or effect? The belt on the passenger side looks frayed in the pic. How close does the fan come to that pulley?

I don’t recall the belt being frayed, but I’ll take a close look, after my eyes reopen in the morning... they’re on a timelock.

Oh yeah, about that auto correct. Check out @LAMBCRUSHER sig line. Simon told me THAT was an autocorrect that was SO ludicrous he had to immortalize it.

I always thought his signature was just too esoteric for the likes of me.

But, now that I’m up to R.L. Burnside’s seventh studio album, “A Ass Pocket of Whiskey”, his signature is starting to make sense.

I’ve removed the broken fan and have taken a CBD elixir to help mitigate my abdominal pain.

I had my Nuclear Stress Test yesterday and have a Cardiologist follieip on April 9th... hopefully l, he will release me for surgery... I’d like to get this over with, so we can get back out in the middle of nowhere.

My new fan should be here in s couple of days.., I’m hoping the various CBD products allow me to get the new fan installed.

Anyway, speaking of fans, the boys and I are huge fans of poetry, lyrics and musical arrangements of the late Leonard Cohen!!

We’re sitting in 44, in the garage, watching the best concert, of Leonard’s many songs, that I have ever seen!!

Y’all should give it a try... on YouTube... it’s from Dutch Radio 1... “Cohen Sessie 1”... (link below)... some songs are in Dutch, most are in English.

The singing and instrumentation are sublime... nee ... ze zijn legendarisch !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom