Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few of us at work were just talking about this same thing yesterday. I've been dealing with the tinnitus for the last 15 years, constant non-stop high pitched ringing, drives me nuts sometimes.

These aids use constant white noise to mitigate tinnitus and I dot really even hear the white noise.

I wonder if there isnt an app that would afford the same sort of mitigation, with earbuds.

Just a thought.

But, if you have VA health benefits, they may be able to help. Do you qualify for hearing aids from the VA?

CostCo sells a pair, like these $6k aids, for $2600. Free hearing test.

That’s where Dianna is going.

Get her fixed up and we can argue without impacting others... 49 years, rapidly approaching...

This is good information. My doc suggested hearing aids, but I wasn't sold on the idea. It was very hard to learn to live with the ringing and glad you found a relief.

No more “huh” here, Lee!!

I’ve worn them for 22 hrs and don’t even notice them.

They are these. Very small, very light.

2AAB73F2-56C6-456D-9BEA-FCB786B2C20D.jpeg

Damn TINNITUS!
Some 20 years ago a fishing buddy and I were scrambling out of the river and up a steep bank... it was getting dark but we’d been catching fish and weren’t paying attention... I slipped and fell into a tangle of mountain laurel and the end of a small branch found it’s way into my left ear canal - ER doc pulled a half inch stick out of my eardrum that night... “I’ve seen a lot of stuff stuck in people’s ears but this mountain laurel twig would be a first!” He said this toward my left ear... I said “huh?”
A few years after that, the tinnitus cranked up and has been my constant companion ever since :(

The boys and I drove 44 out to the Refuge and hiked a 2-mile incline, across a number of enormous drainages, to a box Canyon that shows a rockslide and appears to be blocked.

When we got to the canyon, it looked completely different up close.

You can see the slide, to the left. From two miles back, there doesn’t appear to be much of a Canyon.
BD6D686B-5EE5-42A8-ABFE-32289BD8AB8A.jpeg

Here’s the canyon, up close.
FE09FECD-29FF-49DE-86F9-9FD756321978.jpeg

No 44 pictures this time... it’s the same place I’ve posted pictures of before.

It was a very cold wind, on a very pretty day.

2C3B8D91-FA60-452C-92FF-C99FC057A4F9.jpeg

7952A598-BB43-4A4E-8287-75457E3BDE41.jpeg

8DC05E52-EC99-4F69-86AE-7647E1390E16.jpeg

Last edited:
Pups look like they are having fun.

But of course... this is what they live for!!

Edit: I posted a couple more pics... MUD had three unrelated pics queued up... for some reason... maybe it’s me. I had to post in order to see the extra pics.

Well, we ran back to the refuge again this morning... I'm working hard to whip the boys and myself back into shape.

We hiked a number of yuge drainages, I hadn't ever seen before.

No rabbits today, but it was much warmer than yesterday, even with the same wind a'blowin'... I didn't realize how summer-ier it looks, until I viewed these pictures.

IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4183_LI (2).jpg

This video is on the drive out of the refuge... a rousing game of chicken was had... watch as much or as little as you like... after the Lexus, its all pretty redundant...

The video looks like you were re-entering the atmosphere the entire time.

I can validate that 44 can re-enter the atmosphere for a long period of time.

We had a great run, Drew!!

Yesterday and today (weekend), Mormon Well Road resembled a racetrack, awash in late model, profiler jeeps and late model trucks ... all endeavoring to see how fast they could drive that washboard and rock strewn road.

I saw no apparent concern for potential damage.

Usually, those driving expensive vehicles, drive at about 20-15mph. But, out of all of the times I’ve been out there, this is the first time I’ve witnessed so many, with so little regard for their $50-90k vehicles.

Perhaps it’s a weekend thing... most of my trips to the DNWR are during the week.

So... I sent my registration renewal off to DMV, in Carson City, on March 4th.

Since it’s registered as a Classic Vehicle, it’s smog exempt, as long as I drive <5k miles/year.

Classic Vehicle can only be renewed, by mail, or at DMV, with 500 of my closest friends.

I prefer, “by mail”... so, I willed out the mileage certification and wrote a check and mailed it to DMV.

Normally, I have my paperwork and decal within a week... now, two weeks later... “there’s a discrepancy in your mileage, please see a DMV inspector and have your odometer certified”.

I drove over and was firmed my odometer had rolled over.., I acknowledged it rolled over... three years ago.

The inspector certified it and told me my hood wasn’t latched, on the passenger side.

So, I installed a new hood holddown and drove home, mulling over whether it was worth my while, to watch that video to see when I lost the holddown.,, nah.

A9823D24-3FF5-45C5-858B-8675BA4EEDEE.jpeg

Removed the above ratchet strap and put my new hood latches on... so...

The latches are latched
the strap is unstrapped

147F48E0-5F74-4952-8C1F-E9D77DF0CEC5.jpeg

E75EE148-6A3A-429A-B267-84963523B8D1.jpeg

The fluids are all fresh
the zerks are all fed

The cement-like mud is gone from below
Not really sure where it came from though

As a kid, concrete was a cool treat, when shaded
I’m older now and the fun has all faded

To paraphrase Leonard...

My hair is gone
My beard is grey

I ache in the places
Where I used to play...

I just discovered the remnants of an event that recently occurred, but was apparently quieter than 44’s engine noise.

May I just first say... autocorrect is really pissing me off!! If I WANT to sound like a blithering idiot, I am perfectly capable on my own!!!

Anyway... I just discovered 44’s fan has a broken blade (I’ve stood it up, behind the rad hose in the pic). It looks like the broken blade bounced around and chewed up the end of the other blades.

59261FF9-D4FA-4709-B9FF-08F675159B87.jpeg

I’m surprised the radiator fins aren’t damaged. But, I see no signs that the broken blade ever made contact with the fins.

I split my shroud a long time back... the shroud is perfectly stable and is locked in place, across the cut, on the top, using a length of aluminum and a couple of sheet metal screws.

Since I can’t make the shround come in contact with the fan blades, I checked the motor mounts and they are all tight.

Also checked the fan and it’s not loose or wobbling.

The blade has some knicks in the end and a fairly clean break in the other end.

2DDF136F-FA05-44A4-A4D2-7980F3FC2BE7.jpeg

CE36126D-75D3-4ACA-A127-BBA262896999.jpeg

I’d feel better knowing why it broke... but, I don’t.

So, I’ll order a replacement and take a nap.

Gratuitous picture of a different sort of fan

1A20AD10-8B04-4227-AF2A-9E28F73BEC0D.jpeg

Ouch Danny, looks like a rock may have bounced up in the fan at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom