My 60 rust issue……what do I do??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my 1986 fj60 for about 10 years, the previous owner did a crap paint job and hid some of the roof line rust issues. I have neglected doing anything debating how much money I want to spend to fix it or sell it. Do I need a new roof? Can it be fixed? Anyone have any suggestions? Mechanically it runs good, passes smog, drives great. Please help?

thanks!

504E33B6-55A9-4FC6-916A-02030E42E333.jpeg

F9C320CA-7E2B-4196-961A-0B5846C76B0A.jpeg

C31BF329-9E3A-4336-B48C-F59F44FE0E9C.jpeg

B1624674-0B4D-418E-9B97-C142A89896A7.jpeg

72448AD6-8525-436C-BB32-C2B969475647.jpeg

Anything can be fixed. That is definitely fixable, but will require some work and a skilled body person. I suspect a competent body shop or restoration shop would probably charge around $2,000-3,000 to fix that.

As far as it being "worth it". In my area, you really can't get in a nice 60 series for under $10k unless you find one inside a dead guy's barn before anyone else does.

You’ve definitely let that go, and looks like this is that time when rust really starts to accelerate. From seeing other pics here, I’d be surprised if that hasn’t rusted through.

And that roof rack is causing issues also, can you remove without creating bigger holes?

To prevent from getting worse while you consider your options, you could hit all those bubbles with a flapper or wire wheel, then POR 15 rust proof, then overcoat (follow their directions)

here’s what mine looked like after years of neglect. Holes right through where old roof rack was.
Rusty spots were cut out, patches welded in and seam sealer removed and replaced, repainted. Not cheap.
ED5B5A0E-B4CA-4A44-81E0-FD287250EABF.jpeg

Last edited:
It “might” be easier to Re-skin or replace the whole roof of you can find a clean donor roof. Best bet is to talk to a good body shop and see what they say. You don’t want a bondo special…you want all new metal

Start looking through wrecking yards, I'd suggest an entire roof.

If salty surfboards/kayak/canoe/paddleboard was stored up on those racks, that's why it rusted out there. Salt kills.
A friend of mine had a 60 with rusted out gutters (from carrying wet salty paddleboards on the rack) and he repaired it at home by fiberglassing over the holes like you'd fix a boat. The end result turned out very good. He took his time with it and was pretty good with fiberglass. 20 years later it was still fine. Obviously he got rid of the rust before patching it.

California. The roofs rust, but the lower body is good.

I'd find a roof from up north, where the roofs are good and body is rusty. I think you get the rusty roof as the salt air settles on the roof, or like mentioned the gutter sealant cracks and condensation on the inside.

You don't need a while roof as it is only going to be rusty a few inches all around, but that's a lot of patching.

It's with fixing, but if you don't have it in you sell it and let someone save it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom