'Mud pet memorial thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife Mothers day gift.
A watercolor of our two late furs kiddos.
Phalanx & Gladius
The Artist nailed it!
381A4423-5535-4116-8058-102091585B59_1_201_a.jpeg

Today I had to lay to rest my sweet girl, Pearl. She was so good to us, we were lucky to have had her. She was 13.5 years old, pretty good run for a lab. She loved to hunt birds and enjoyed bacon more than anything. We will miss you Pearl, thank you for loving us.

View attachment 2646722
Belated but sincere condolences, Cannon. I recall many happy pictures of her in your posts. She had a great, long life, and I'm sure the hunting (and bacon) is awesome in heaven.

It has been one year.

It is with great sadness that we announce our Matriarch Beagle Elsie passed over the rainbow bridge at 5:00pm this evening.

She joined us Labor Day weekend of 2006. Like all of our Beagles, we rescued her so we have no idea her true day of birth. She fit right in with Delta and Winslow. Those two were great mentors and story tellers.

Winslow & Delta were the ring bearers in our wedding and they have pee’ed in more states than most of my friends will ever visit. They have been on coast to coast cross country trips at least three times.

I still remember her first day with us. She squatted in the living room the first time. Delta jumped off his chair, grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and carried her through two doggy doors and clearly explained to her where to Pee and Poo in the yard.

She quickly became a “Princess”. She had the male Beagles wrapped around her paw taking care of her and watching over her.

Delta would get frustrated with her often. He would bury a bone and she would go dig it up. They loved her on an unmeasurable scale. They taught her the good snakes and the bad snakes. Delta would literally knock her out of the way to keep her from getting bit. They alway let her have her pick of the toys. They always made sure she had dinner before they ate theirs.

When we would go for walks to Bob & Pam’s and throughout the valley, she would get tired and I would have to carry her in my bibs.

She was very talkative. She would strike up a conversation and continue the conversation as long as you kept talking to her. I think the longest one I have been part of lasted 12-15 minutes.

Elsie helped raise and mentor a Basset Hound we rescued.

We rescued Forest and they got along Great. She had him wrapped around her paw in no time.

Delta passed away at 4:15 pm on May 10th 2010 due to a Grand Mal Seizure. Although the bond between Elsie and Winslow was stronger than any two dogs I’ve seen, Winslow missed Delta so much that he died of a broken heart on Oct 3rd 2010. He passed away in Mickie’s lap. It was a Sunday about 8:45 am.

Jan found a Beagle “Maggy” that needed a good home. Elsie helped mentor Maggy to the ways of country living. They quickly became best friends. Maggy was a quite a unique anomaly. She had the absolute best characteristics and mannerisms of both Winslow and Delta. She slep in the same spot in bed that Winslow did. She slept in the exact chair that Delta did.

Maggy was part of the “Patrol Team” every two hours one beagle would get up and patrol the property. When they came back inside, the would poke another Beagle with their cold wet nose. The beagle would move and give up their warm spot for the one who just patrolled. These three did this 24/7 x 365. They would try to do it with Mickie as well.

In the winter, Maggy and Elsie could always be found near the fireplace. In the evenings, they would be on Mickie’s lap, in front of the fireplace.

Maggy was bit by a 54” rattlesnake while protecting Elsie. Elsie was probably having a conversation with the snake asking how it’s day was and complaining about the weather.

Elsie never left Maggy’s side during the slow recovery from the snake bite.

Starting around Oct of 2017, both Maggy and Elsie trained and mentored a little lab puppy named Rocky. They were bigger than him, but were never bullies to him. They loved him like the puppy he was. They taught him to take naps after breakfast and before lunch, before dinner, after dinner and most important nap is the one before bedtime. That is what Beagles do.

The lab puppy quickly grew to 80lbs but he was always on his best behavior around “the ladies”. He respected them and looked over them. He would literally watch over them as they were eating or sleeping. If someone accidentally step on the girls tail, he would come running across the countryside to check on them. He regularly comes over to nap with the Beagles. We refer to him as our “Grandson” since he treats the ladies like they are his mom. Rocky owner’s (Steve & Heather) are very understanding of the relationship. Maybe confused, but very understanding.

Elsie was diagnosed with cancer in the spring of 2019. Since she was 13 years old, there was not a surgeon around that would operate on her to remove her rapidly growing tumor. Her tumor ruptured in the early summer of 2019.

The vet said it was a lost cause because of the location of the tumor. Mickie and I called BS on their diagnosis. Mickie cleaned the wound morning, noon and night. She changed up the antibiotics and the cleaning procedure and it slowly began to heal up. I will spare you the pictures.

We cancelled our vacation in Oct because we honestly didn’t think she would live long enough for us to be gone. We also didn’t want to put the burden of cleaning the wound on a pet sitter. Elsie had become our frail little lady.

Out of nowhere, Maggy’s liver failed. She had a massive stroke and began to passed away peacefully Nov 27th at 7:45 am. She was surrounded by her family, including her friend Rocky.

This put us in an emotional tailspin. The healthy beagle passed away and the tough little old lady beagle was in it for the long haul. We have no idea how old Maggy was but she was close to 14 years old.

Due to Mickie’s constant care, Elsie’s tumor healed up. Her appetite came back as well as her energy level. Her health began to decline about the time the Covid - 19 pandemic began. She would skip meals, but not bacon treats or ice cream.

The past week she would hardly eat, but she would eat. Her last real meal was Saturday March 30th. She has been licking the bowl of yogurt and occasionally a few licks of ice cream. She is sleeping 23 hours a day and only gets up to get some water or to go outside to do her business.

She was no longer alert since her body was being consumed by the cancer and her internal organs were shutting down. Her friend Rocky came over and spent the night with her last night. He sniffed her and ate her bisquit, after she let him have it. He slept at the foot of her bed watching over her.

Twice during the night she began howling in her sleep. Rocky was on point making sure she was OK. I would like to believe she was calling out to Delta, Winslow and Maggy.

It was a very tough decision but it was the right one to make. She refused Bacon for 4 days straight. The Vet made the comment many times that the care Mickie gave Elsie extended her life by 9 months to a year.

Elsie is the Matriarch because she has known them all. She is now with her family once again and free of pain.

We are so glad we have pictures of our kids.

We are very honored to have lived and shared our lives with each of these Beagles we rescued and very happy that Rocky was part of their life.

Please go scratch your dogs ears or give them a good butt rub and let them know what they mean to you.

A9867587-2132-4B92-B092-DB5D19C33456.jpeg

6D83A775-21C3-4E27-9D7C-C915B3BAB920.jpeg

5BCA45C2-1A61-4038-A89E-EC210C5335D1.jpeg

E2447B38-B231-4F76-916E-DDD12BED7ACE.jpeg

4E4C015A-80CC-4C17-8654-6A9F6D22209D.jpeg

It has been one year.

It is with great sadness that we announce our Matriarch Beagle Elsie passed over the rainbow bridge at 5:00pm this evening.

She joined us Labor Day weekend of 2006. Like all of our Beagles, we rescued her so we have no idea her true day of birth. She fit right in with Delta and Winslow. Those two were great mentors and story tellers.

Winslow & Delta were the ring bearers in our wedding and they have pee’ed in more states than most of my friends will ever visit. They have been on coast to coast cross country trips at least three times.

I still remember her first day with us. She squatted in the living room the first time. Delta jumped off his chair, grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and carried her through two doggy doors and clearly explained to her where to Pee and Poo in the yard.

She quickly became a “Princess”. She had the male Beagles wrapped around her paw taking care of her and watching over her.

Delta would get frustrated with her often. He would bury a bone and she would go dig it up. They loved her on an unmeasurable scale. They taught her the good snakes and the bad snakes. Delta would literally knock her out of the way to keep her from getting bit. They alway let her have her pick of the toys. They always made sure she had dinner before they ate theirs.

When we would go for walks to Bob & Pam’s and throughout the valley, she would get tired and I would have to carry her in my bibs.

She was very talkative. She would strike up a conversation and continue the conversation as long as you kept talking to her. I think the longest one I have been part of lasted 12-15 minutes.

We rescued Forest and they got along Great. She had him wrapped around her paw in no time.

Delta passed away at 4:15 pm on May 10th 2010 due to a Grand Mal Seizure. Although the bond between Elsie and Winslow was stronger than any two dogs I’ve seen, Winslow missed Delta so much that he died of a broken heart on Oct 3rd 2010. He passed away in Mickie’s lap. It was a Sunday about 8:45 am.

Jan found a Beagle “Maggy” that needed a good home. Elsie helped mentor Maggy to the ways of country living. They quickly became best friends. Maggy was a quite a unique anomaly. She had the absolute best characteristics and mannerisms of both Winslow and Delta. She slep in the same spot in bed that Winslow did. She slept in the exact chair that Delta did.

Maggy was part of the “Patrol Team” every two hours one beagle would get up and patrol the property. When they came back inside, the would poke another Beagle with their cold wet nose. The beagle would move and give up their warm spot for the one who just patrolled. These three did this 24/7 x 365. They would try to do it with Mickie as well.

In the winter, Maggy and Elsie could always be found near the fireplace. In the evenings, they would be on Mickie’s lap, in front of the fireplace.

Maggy was bit by a 54” rattlesnake while protecting Elsie. Elsie was probably having a conversation with the snake asking how it’s day was and complaining about the weather.

Starting around Oct of 2017, both Maggy and Elsie trained and mentored a little lab puppy named Rocky. They were bigger than him, but were never bullies to him. They loved him like the puppy he was. They taught him to take naps after breakfast and before lunch, before dinner, after dinner and most important nap is the one before bedtime. That is what Beagles do.

The lab puppy quickly grew to 80lbs but he was always on his best behavior around “the ladies”. He respected them and looked over them. He would literally watch over them as they were eating or sleeping. If someone accidentally step on the girls tail, he would come running across the countryside to check on them. He regularly comes over to nap with the Beagles. We refer to him as our “Grandson” since he treats the ladies like they are his mom. Rocky owner’s (Steve & Heather) are very understanding of the relationship. Maybe confused, but very understanding.

Elsie was diagnosed with cancer in the spring of 2019. Since she was 13 years old, there was not a surgeon around that would operate on her to remove her rapidly growing tumor. Her tumor ruptured in the early summer of 2019.

The vet said it was a lost cause because of the location of the tumor. Mickie and I called BS on their diagnosis. Mickie cleaned the wound morning, noon and night. She changed up the antibiotics and the cleaning procedure and it slowly began to heal up. I will spare you the pictures.

We cancelled our vacation in Oct because we honestly didn’t think she would live long enough for us to be gone. We also didn’t want to put the burden of cleaning the wound on a pet sitter. Elsie had become our frail little lady.

Out of nowhere, Maggy’s liver failed. She had a massive stroke and began to passed away peacefully Nov 27th at 7:45 am. She was surrounded by her family, including her friend Rocky.

This put us in an emotional tailspin. The healthy beagle passed away and the tough little old lady beagle was in it for the long haul. We have no idea how old Maggy was but she was close to 14 years old.

Due to Mickie’s constant care, Elsie’s tumor healed up. Her appetite came back as well as her energy level. Her health began to decline about the time the Covid - 19 pandemic began. She would skip meals, but not bacon treats or ice cream.

The past week she would hardly eat, but she would eat. Her last real meal was Saturday March 30th. She has been licking the bowl of yogurt and occasionally a few licks of ice cream. She is sleeping 23 hours a day and only gets up to get some water or to go outside to do her business.

She was no longer alert since her body was being consumed by the cancer and her internal organs were shutting down. Her friend Rocky came over and spent the night with her last night. He sniffed her and ate her bisquit, after she let him have it. He slept at the foot of her bed watching over her.

Twice during the night she began howling in her sleep. Rocky was on point making sure she was OK. I would like to believe she was calling out to Delta, Winslow and Maggy.

It was a very tough decision but it was the right one to make. She refused Bacon for 4 days straight. The Vet made the comment many times that the care Mickie gave Elsie extended her life by 9 months to a year.

Elsie is the Matriarch because she has known them all. She is now with her family once again and free of pain.

We are very honored to have lived and shared our lives with each of these Beagles we rescued and very happy that Rocky was part of their life.

Please go scratch your dogs ears or give them a good butt rub and let them know what they mean to you.

View attachment 2692847

View attachment 2692848

View attachment 2692849

View attachment 2692853

View attachment 2692854
So sorry about Elsie. You gave each of them a wonderful life, and may you be forever blessed for that.

It has been one year.

View attachment 2692847

View attachment 2692848

View attachment 2692849

View attachment 2692853

View attachment 2692854
Beautiful story....
My sincere condolences.
RIP Elsie

full

Said farewell until we meet again to my boy Crockett this morning. My heart is broken.

Oh man.....so sorry to hear of this. I know what a dog lover in general you are...and no doubt Crockett was extra special to you.

I have no soothing words, none are really possible I suppose. Just know that many of us are all too familiar with what you are going through and our sympathy and understanding is with you. RIP Crockett....what a handsome fella he was too.

Remembering this FurKid. . . loved the snow!! RIP 2006, Cancer in the spleen.
Please.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom