Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like this idea. I was trying to come up with a simple way to carry my bike on my poverty pack HZJ80 with the barn doors. I can see me using a single swing arm on the larger door side and have clear access to the smaller door.

1619034696123.png

I like this idea. I was trying to come up with a simple way to carry my bike on my poverty pack HZJ80 with the barn doors. I can see me using a single swing arm on the larger door side and have clear access to the smaller door.

View attachment 2652017

Thanks mate, it is working well so far..
Just out of interest - I had the exact same standard model hzj80... they are a fantastic car!!

I have 4 bikes and trying to find a workable solution for dual rear swingouts on my Kaymar bumper. I have a Kuat horizontal rack with a Pivot 2.0. and the problem with the 200 is the high hitch mount so when you install a custom rear bumper it severely limits hitch accessories that like to sit above the hitch like most bike racks do. The Pivot 2.0 (similar to RakAttach) failed out the box due to this limitation as it sits higher than the hitch so I tested with a Kuat hitch extension and also no joy. Anybody know of any racks that stay flush with the hitch mount and can be extended horizontally away and then be lowered (to allow the swing outs to clear the rack? So far I've only found one solid option on MUD which is Lolo Racks - one MUD user shared photos of how it drops down to the floor and allows his dual swing outs to clear. Would love it if North Shore or VelociRAX were proven to work in this scenario.
Thanks in advance if anyone can offer help :bang::beer:

I don't think the VelociRAX will work with your swingout. It sits pretty high above the hitch, even moreso when it's lowered to the ground. See pics for measurements.

20210426_190412.jpg

20210426_190435.jpg

20210426_184309.jpg

When you get a chance, can you take a picture work it folded up? I want to see if you can open the tailgate.

When you get a chance, can you take a picture work it folded up? I want to see if you can open the tailgate.

Sure! I can tell you that on a 60 the tailgate definitely won't open with the rack folded up in the storage position, no matter how you adjust it on the hitch. I can open it with the rack in the down position (as shown in the earlier photos, sans bike) but the license plate assembly rests on the rack. Personally I'm ok with this as long as I'm not standing on the tailgate. There's lots of room to adjust the rack out away from the truck and it'll go far enough that you can fully open the tailgate in the down position without them touching. I'm happy with mine where it is as long as my handlebars don't hit the truck over rough roads.

IMG_3110.JPG

Today I realized that if I open the “arms” of the 1up rack then the tailgate opens completely without touching the rack at all. This is awesome because it allows normal use of the tailgate and it doesn’t make it more difficult to reach into the cargo area. Good stuff!

B49CC168-C3D1-4FA1-9490-9C4CECFCA49A.jpeg

A0DF5983-A3F3-4E5F-ADB1-420CE1531929.jpeg

I ended up replacing the tray racks with a Yakima Hangover 4. Pretty happy with it so far. Clears the tailgate when in the mid and full-down positions so I can access my tailgate again.
View attachment 2649669

Fellow vertical bike luggers,

Do you feel that your bikes stick out too far? Perhaps it isn't so bad for @Sverige as it looks to be tucked in nicely, but @Silveredition is mounted on a spare like me. I still haven't had time to design something to twist the bike in 90° to get it closer to the truck, but curious on your thoughts for transport? Around town to local trails or a bike shop isn't all too bad, but concerns with parking lots or long trips have me just waiting for my bike to get ripped off by a Snapchatting parking lot lizard.

1621515906144.png

Do you feel that your bikes stick out too far? Perhaps it isn't so bad for @Sverige as it looks to be tucked in nicely, but @Silveredition is mounted on a spare like me. I still haven't had time to design something to twist the bike in 90° to get it closer to the truck, but curious on your thoughts for transport? Around town to local trails or a bike shop isn't all too bad, but concerns with parking lots or long trips have me just waiting for my bike to get ripped off by a Snapchatting parking lot lizard.

View attachment 2679140
I’ve been using a north shore 4 for 4 or 5 years now. It doesn't hang off the back as far as the 4 bike 1up I had prior. That said when I loaded with bikes. I’m cautious where I park and often try and find a spot to back in.

View attachment 2679140
what would the total over hang be with that set up ? a 29" bike is what 40"+ tall add the spare tire and you close to the 4' limit before you need a flag or light of some sort .....

I would be the opposite... No worries on the parking lots or long trips... leery in around the city/town local traffic/parking, but then again... this is L.A.

what would the total over hang be with that set up ? a 29" bike is what 40"+ tall add the spare tire and you close to the 4' limit before you need a flag or light of some sort .....

I would be the opposite... No worries on the parking lots or long trips... leery in around the city/town local traffic/parking, but then again... this is L.A.

I'd have to measure, but thereabouts. I drop the seat, but handlebars are the height driver. Plan is to build something 90°, but she's out there!

I have been thinking of making something that is similar to the Velocirax setup, but is bolted to a reciever hitch on the spare tire mount. This would only be for a single bike so I can still open the small door on my ambulance door equipped 80.

Here's a hacked together picture of the idea.

1621544395927.png

I finally am fed up with stuffing my bike in the back of the 80 --especially when done riding & it's generally wet & muddy. Tracking mud in the 80 is my dog's job, and he's no slouch.

I have a receiver, but with the bumper swingouts (tire/basket) - yeah, Yakima & Thule make those receiver mount jaws, but not sure they'll clear the basket since they are meant for cars without our style of equip hanging out past the receiver tube.

What are you all doing, how did you solve the situation? Do the Yakima -type setups work & if so which one are you using to get out past your swingouts?
2 Ways for me-
Yakima 4-Bike Swing out hitch rack
2 Yakima Frontloaders

View attachment 2679140
Like ColeAK, I back into parking spots if I can. It doesn’t hang off as far as a 4x tray rack, and the bikes on the Yakima Hangover sit right in line with the body of the truck so nothing hangs out around the sides of the car for narrow lanes or snug parking. The Hangover also sits perfectly to access the lower tailgate on the 200-series. Still super happy with this rack. Vertical is definitely the way to go for 4x+ bikes.

As much as I love my 1Up racks, having 4 on the hitch makes it a pain to access the back. It’s not a big deal for certain trips but not ideal when taking the family somewhere for a weekend.
I ordered some RockBros fork mounts with various adapters from AliExpress and mounted them to a Rhino Rack accessory rail. For the rear wheel, I tried the mount that RockBros includes with the kit but the ball bungee cords are easier and as secure as they need to be. Other than having to put the front wheels in the truck, I’m super happy with how it works. The bikes are super stable and more secure than hanging on the back. I definitely won’t be using this setup for my regular rides but it is nice getting 4 loaded and not having to fuss with them until I need them.

6643B49F-F692-418E-9552-0092CF0B3C7A.jpeg

CBE579A4-2AF1-4DAD-B3E6-5A5E66DACDA1.jpeg

D069904C-45A4-48BA-9132-72574C596833.jpeg

BCBBB972-72F9-4528-8CAA-955D621BE88B.jpeg

With the troopy and just me, I just stuff it in the back and bungy the seat to the inner roof.

If I have too much crap in the troopy, or need to sleep in it, or if I have passengers, I use an old-school (pre-29er) Thule tray rack and stick it on a step extension (I also use a hitch tightener to keep everything tight and minimize the play in the assembly) , if the bike is on the rear tray, I can get into both doors, if I have two bikes, or the bike is on the tray closer to the truck, I can only get in the smaller door.

IMG_20210427_073148902.jpg

I built a simple bumper with a single swing-out, which gives access to both back doors when open, but rarely use it, since adding the step extension.
P1050711.JPG

With the goal of going access to the back while the rack is attached in two-bike mode, ...this. Using an 8 inch hitch extender and folding 1UP rack.

Planning to get a drop extender so I can pull the bikes in closer. Could flip it for true off-roading.

IMG_20210701_095010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom