Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"SURFACE RUST": I've decided that the term "surface rust" is the equivalent of 'renovators delight' in real estate speak. Surface rust can mean there is a bit rust on the surface - no surprises there. But, it can also mean, it's as rusty as crap and unrepairable.

Rooted Windscreen Panel 1: This it the original windscreen panel, it was straight but had a serious rust issues. So I had a local sheetmetal place fold me up a piece that I could cut up and use to make patches out. The only problem was that by the time I had welded in 5 or 6 patches, I had managed to warp the panel, so it looked like it had a series of waves across it. This might have been repairable by a professional, but was on beyond my skill set. So I picked myself up a replacement panel that apparently had a bit of 'surface rust'.

IMG_8839.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Last edited:
Rooted Windscreen Panel 2: Enter stage left. Windscreen panel 2, with 'surface rust'.

Things were looking very promising. That was until I removed the glass and the rubber seal and the cover over the windscreen wiper motor. Damn and blast, rust as far as the eye could see.

So after a moment of quiet contemplation, I came up with an ingenious solution. I would cut out the front of the new panel and stitch weld it onto the original panel. This seemed like a pretty straight forward plan...............what could possibly go wrong?
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Last edited:
So, I took my time and slowly stitch welded the two panels together and then hoped into it with the grinder and cleaned up the welds. At this point I heard the panel creak. Like an audible groan. Sure enough the whole panel bowed. It's hard to pick up on the final image, but there is a 5mm bow across the front of the panel. I test fitted it to the cab hoping that the once bolted into place the bow would disappear but it didn't. Bugger me.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

Last edited:
Rooted Windscreen Panel 3: At this stage, I picked up my third windscreen. It had a few issues and some 'surface rust' . Once again when I removed the glass and the rubber seal more rust. What's more, I didn't realise it at the time but the third windscreen panel was from an earlier model (more on this later).

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

Windscreen Panels Difference Between Years: I was of the impression that the only difference in years was the earlier model (1903 to 1974) had the windscreen motor mounted at the top rather than the bottom. However it seems there are differences between the '75 and '81 and late '81 to 84.

1. The windscreen motor cover holes do not line up. The cover from the 81 to 84 is longer.
2. The holes for the rear view mirrors do not line up. The holes for the 81 to 84 are narrower.
3. There are little recesses for the dempster vents on the earlier model that a not present on the later model.

I apologise if I have made an error with the manufacturing dates above. Please let me know if I have screwed this up. Also, if anyone is aware of any other differences please let me know.

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

1903. 😆, now that’s “early!”

I haven't been following this thread nearly as closely as I should. You're doing beautiful work Ben! I really like your trick with using tape to create crisp edges on your seam sealer. I'm definitely going to employ that going forward on my own builds.

Great work :beer:

Sorry to see the frustrating results despite all your efforts. Does point out the high value of non-corroded sheet metal and the resulting high prices for properly finished trucks.

At least you have a supply of possible good candidates--folks in most other countries don't even have that.

Success is around the corner. Cheers.

Yeah, meant to say in my last post great work despite the frustrations. If you want some more of that rust thingy there's still opportunities here in Idaho!

I really like your trick with using tape to create crisp edges on your seam sealer. I'm definitely going to employ that going forward on my own builds.

Do those edges need to be sanded or something to make them flush with the painted surface or do you just leave the little ledge in place?

Yeah, meant to say in my last post great work despite the frustrations. If you want some more of that rust thingy there's still opportunities here in Idaho!

Do those edges need to be sanded or something to make them flush with the painted surface or do you just leave the little ledge in place?
I've always just used a damp finger to "smooth" it out like I do caulking trim. Though I like Ben's method better it looks much more precise.

Ben the cab and chassis are looking terrific mate! Keep up the good work, you will get the best of those windscreens yet!! I think your truck is going to be too nice to drive. ;) :hmm:

"SURFACE RUST": I've decided that the term "surface rust" is the equivalent of 'renovators delight' in real estate speak. Surface rust can mean there is a bit rust on the surface - no surprises there. But, it can also mean, it's as rusty as crap and unrepairable.

Rooted Windscreen Panel 1: This it the original windscreen panel, it was straight but had a serious rust issues. So I had a local sheetmetal place fold me up a piece that I could cut up and use to make patches out. The only problem was that my the time I had welded in 5 or 6 patches, I had managed to warp the panel. This might have been repairable by a professional but was on beyond my skill set. So I picked myself up a replacement panel that apparently had a bit of 'surface rust'.

View attachment 2116055

View attachment 2116056

View attachment 2116057

View attachment 2116063

View attachment 2116068
Project is looking great Ben!!. I admire your attention to detail.
I learned of this product a last spring.
Cool Gel.jpg

Not sure if it's available in your part of the world but if you've got more panel repairs to do it might be worth trying. Just spray it on and it helps with the heating/warping issue. I have only used it once since I got it but it seemed to work well.

I actually picked up the 'tape/seam sealer' idea from some other threads on Mud. Occasionally, you get a small lip along the edge of the tape. But you can use an 'art' brush and some solvent to flatten it out. When I look at the job on the cab, the one thing I would do again is re-do some of the seam sealer that I did and made a bit of a mess of..........a wet finger will also do the trick.

Project is looking great Ben!!. I admire your attention to detail.
I learned of this product a last spring. View attachment 2116726
Not sure if it's available in your part of the world but if you've got more panel repairs to do it might be worth trying. Just spray it on and it helps with the heating/warping issue. I have only used it once since I got it but it seemed to work well.
Hey thanks for the tip. I will see if we stock something similar in Oz. I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of guys cooling their welds down with a damn rag. I tried this with the first windscreen panel and I think my rag was too wet and cold and ultimately contributed the panel warping so badly.

Hey thanks for the tip. I will see if we stock something similar in Oz. I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of guys cooling their welds down with a damn rag. I tried this with the first windscreen panel and I think my rag was too wet and cold and ultimately contributed the panel warping so badly.
I've used a damp rag and compressed air but this stuff is sprayed on before welding and it's a gel so it stays on a vertical surface. It was an acquaintance of mine here that does 6 figure custom restorations that showed me this stuff so thought it was worth a try.

It's available on Amazon if you do that. Interesting application (i.e. welding), seems to be a product for plumbing (brazing, soldering). Cool Gel

Do (can) you weld through it, or does it need to be wiped away around the weld seam?

It's available on Amazon if you do that. Interesting application (i.e. welding), seems to be a product for plumbing (brazing, soldering). Cool Gel

Do (can) you weld through it, or does it need to be wiped away around the weld seam?
I wiped a off a spot with my finger on a rag where I started my welds. I haven't tried welding through it but I don't think it would work.

It’s been a while since I stopped by this thread so I had a bit of catching up to do. Looking great mate :cool:

G'day Guys, Well it's been a few weeks since I last updated this thread. I've basically been tackling two jobs at once, which is not necessarily my preferred approach...........generally, I struggle to do one job at a time . One job is the windscreen panel and the other job is the cleaning up the wiring loom.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom