Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a beautiful tub ben. I can't wait to see some body + frame shots. Keen eyes here, love this build thread, its absolutely top quality.

That is a beautiful tub ben. I can't wait to see some body + frame shots. Keen eyes here, love this build thread, its absolutely top quality.
Thanks mate. I decided after the issues I had with the first round of primer, not to paint the tub myself. Speaking with the painter this afternoon he said that he managed to shoot paint into areas under the dash that he didn't think was possible. Just burping the paint in slowly, slowly. I could tell he was pretty happy with the job. They picked up a couple of spots that I could have done better, like the silastic around the door hinges and smoothed it out with some seam sealer and an art brush. Thanks again for the kind words, I glad you are enjoying the thread and look forward to showing you the beast in person at some point. Cheers, Ben

Your key chain, Sir.
https://www.amazon.de/Cornelißen-Schlüsselanhänger-Schildkröte-im-Ei/dp/B00TFSRY0C

41WBpcXmbOL.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ben you are way overdue an update on this thread mate! Are test driving the outback before the big reveal? ;)

Just read 42 pages. What an inspirational build! Makes my job on my 64 fst look extremely amateurish (which it is) and i have only been at mine for 18 years! Definitely time for an update or have you been too busy driving it around??

Just read 42 pages. What an inspirational build! Makes my job on my 64 fst look extremely amateurish (which it is) and i have only been at mine for 18 years! Definitely time for an update or have you been too busy driving it around??
G'day Marn0, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Standby for some updates (not many, but a few!). Cheers, Ben

G'day All,

I apologise for my absence. I can't believe the last time I posted anything was on 9 November last year. So where the bloody hell have I been?

Well, contrary to popular opinion, I haven't been in the 'joint' sharing a cell with a large right-wing extremist called Bubba. I haven't been in Witness Security. I haven't been battling a rare and potentially life threatening disease (Not on this occasion anyway). I haven't even been kidnapped by ISIS and used as a sex slave. No, in fact worse, much, much worse.............I have just finished renovating our house. The only good bit about the process was re-purposing the old kitchen and laundry and installing them in the shed. Now lets get on with Mouldy Mario.

Cheers, Ben

IMG_0158.JPG

And before anyone accuses me of the heinous and wilful destruction of rare and precious antiquities. The front end bits were beyond repair, toast, cactus, stuffed, knackered and had the dick! Anyway, my wife requested a book shelf for our 10 year old son, so I thought I might include a bit of LandCruiser wall art into the build. More on this later.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

Now for a update on Mario. I moved operations into the little shed that I use for paint. I noticed the bonnet (I mean hood) had a large warp in it above the manifold. I assume over the years the heat caused it to bulge up. I tried to disguise it by spreading a thin layer of filler around it, but it was too obvious. Anyway, I wasn't confident enough to hammer and dolly it myself and took it down to my local panel shop. The warp is gone and I now back to wet sanding. I thought I wet sand underneath first and fill a couple of hammer and dolly marks.

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

@dmamj 's been selling a few of these in the classifieds. Maybe he knows.

Those boxes are awesome. I'm in the school of thought that every Land Cruiser should have one, no matter what the year. They were made from at least 1956 to 1969. Here's a tool page from a 1956 BJ25 parts catalog that shows the box. I couldn't tell you if it was made any earlier than that. They were never included in Land Cruisers destined to the US either. They were also included in other non-LC Toyota models like the Stout and big DA trucks. Now ya gotta fill it up with Toyota tools!

BJ25 Parts Catalog Tool Page.jpg

Also used in Light Stout pickups.

Those boxes are awesome. I'm in the school of thought that every Land Cruiser should have one, no matter what the year. They were made from at least 1956 to 1969. Here's a tool page from a 1956 BJ25 parts catalog that shows the box. I couldn't tell you if it was made any earlier than that. They were never included in Land Cruisers destined to the US either. They were also included in other non-LC Toyota models like the Stout and big DA trucks. Now ya gotta fill it up with Toyota tools!

View attachment 1996142
G'day Dmamj, Thanks so much for going to that effort. I really appreciate it. That's the aim then, assemble the complete tool kit as per your diagram. It's in remarkable condition in some regards, the steel seems almost polished (Note - I couldn't bring myself to use the word 'patina'). I might give it a wipe over with some boiled linseed oil. Thanks again, Ben

I have a lot old cans , tools and boxes... all I did wiped the dust off.
Would never use any oil or similar products on them.
Have had an old 50`s first aid box similar to this ....

Oldtimer-Auto-Verbandskasten-Blech-Blechdosen-30-50iger.jpg

in the 45 ,used it for tools stored under the driver seat for 12 years...
All I did wiped the dust off
.... they last longer than you and me even without using boiled linseed oil, Sir.
Don´t do too much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom