Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I peeked a look at my heater core the other day. Looks bout 10 times worse than yours. A little bit of a cleanout might be in order these days off.
G'day MarnO, I suppose if you are ever going to live without a heater core then Broken Hill is the probably the place to do it.......at least during the day. I took my heater core down to our local radiator place. It think it cost me around $60. I'm not sure if they use some sort of caustic sort of solution or just plain ol'water. I've dig up a couple of pics of what was inside mine, when I first disassembled it. Cheers, Ben.

IMG_0900 3.JPG

IMG_0899 2.JPG

Blower motor and heater box restoration. The restoration of these parts, in particular the blower motor, wasn't difficult. It was probably one of the more parts of the restoration. Basically, it was a matter of cleaning and washing bits and pieces and replacing the foam seals. The last pic is the rebuild kit supplied by Atlas. I replaced the resistor on the top of the blower motor - apparently all this does is actually allow you to select different fan speeds.

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

I haven't tested it at this stage. Hopefully, it will work as intended. The plastic casing of the blower motor looked badly faded. Eventually after screwing around and doing a few little test areas ie, paint, polish, sand etc, I gave it a couple of coats of plastic dye. This produced a much nicer finish than the paint. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the can.

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

Ben the heater looks great, as usual! Did you replace the “tape” around the blower motor? It’s difficult to make out what you might have used.

Mint!!

Rebuilding/refreshing the blower assembly is strangely satisfying, getting rid of how many years of dirt and crumbly foam seems to make them run better too.

Do you have a link to the rebuild kit/cab side bushes? It was one thing I couldn't find at the time.

I completed my heater core cleanout although i must admit its nowhere near as good as yours.
From the top of the core i removed:
1 x 222 shell
6 x 22 shells
2 x live 22 bullets
The hair from 1 large goat

A few hours picking hair out and pressure cleaning the core returned it to a reasonable state so back in it went. Also resealed the thermostat housing while there was no coolant.

Hi Mate,
Looking good! Where'd you get the heater resistor from?
Cheers
They are on ebay but expect to pay $120. If yours had just busted off the end you can uncoil the wire a bit and resolder the cable on.
Alternatively they are a 1 ohm resistor so you could substitute another resistor.

I reckon you’re out in the Ute enjoying the fruits of your labor with no time for an update.

The Raptor Wrap

Mixing tip: I mixed three products - liner, hardener and colour, in a separate container and then poured this back into the bottle (The bottles are designed to screw straight onto the bottom of the shutz gun) . This was a little messy, but I don't think you could adequately mix them together if you tried to mix the products together by pouring the hardener and colour into the bottle and shaking. This was also a U-Pol tip and worked pretty well.

Overall reasonable happy.

Question: From memory when I sprayed my U-Pol there was very little room in the bottle once you added the second component. How and what ratios do you mix the paint/color in with the U-Pol when spraying colored version?

Holy crap..................I just checked the date and the last time I updated this thread it was June 2019. This is simply not good enough. Now you'd reckon, I'd have a shed-load of updates. Well, don't hold your breathe. What can I say, I work slowly! I would like to say, slow and methodical. But in reality, I'm just slow. I did however complete another project that took up far too much time, still Land Cruiser related. I will get to that a bit later.

Firstly, a quick recap. If you are wondering about the 'mouldy' bit in the title. This is what I started with 16 millenniums ago.

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom