For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

It was between just two bidders. I was guessing it would go for 20k, bids were going up by $250, but then they started bidding at $2k increments. F'n crazytown! And NO lockers!

This must be a new watermark in the market... I was guess around $20K. Maybe we've run out of 3x locked examples or people are buying no 3x locked because they don't want to spend $50K?

This must be a new watermark in the market... I was guess around $20K. Maybe we've run out of 3x locked examples or people are buying no 3x locked because they don't want to spend $50K?
We're going where no man has gone before, breaking new ground. Sux for anyone looking to buy though, but timing is everything. I saw it happening with the fj60's(sold my 87 fj60 ten years ago for pennies, ugh!) and knew the next to skyrocket would be the 80's. Bought my 94 in Sept, 2019 for 9k after a year search, when they started going up so now I'm glad I did. Curious if the 100's are climbing up as well, they will be next I'm sure.

We're going where no man has gone before, breaking new ground. Sux for anyone looking to buy though, but timing is everything. I saw it happening with the fj60's(sold my 87 fj60 ten years ago for pennies, ugh!) and knew the next to skyrocket would be the 80's. Bought my 94 in Sept, 2019 for 9k after a year search, when they started going up so now I'm glad I did. Curious if the 100's are climbing up as well, they will be next I'm sure.

I watched it happen in the air cooled Porsche market. Back in '05 I could just afford a 993, but waited too long and got priced out. Then the same thing happened when the market shifted to the 964s...

I imagine the 100s will appreciate, especially as 80s go up in value and inventory of clean, mostly original trucks goes down, but I wonder how steep the curve will be and if they have the same cult status of the 80s?

For Sale - 1997 FZJ80 Collectors Edition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1997-fzj80-collectors-edition.1088772/#post-11892274

What has happened in the last 2 1/2 years?

I guess the maintenance costs don't seem so bad anymore. What is a couple of grand in baselining or even something as large as a head gasket on a 30k vehicle.

For Sale - 1997 FZJ80 Collectors Edition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1997-fzj80-collectors-edition.1088772/#post-11892274

I guess the maintenance costs don't seem so bad anymore. What is a couple of grand in baselining or even something as large as a head gasket on a 30k vehicle.
I think the used car market is finally catching up to the new car market. When a MSPR on SUVs is pushing $100k, folks start looking into the secondary market. Why would I pay XXXX for that when I can get a classic with 120k miles for $25k? Toyota's reputation is also pushing the numbers up. If you've noticed the number of Tacomas on the road lately, the secret is out.

To be fair, that guy sold his truck for waaaaay less than it was worth even back then. A rust free, triple locked, desert dune truck with good paint was worth at least $13k in 2018. And yet nobody in the mud community was looking out for him to let him know he was selling for too cheap... it’s stuff like this that paves the way for the flippers everybody is always complaining about.

I watched it happen in the air cooled Porsche market. Back in '05 I could just afford a 993, but waited too long and got priced out. Then the same thing happened when the market shifted to the 964s...

I imagine the 100s will appreciate, especially as 80s go up in value and inventory of clean, mostly original trucks goes down, but I wonder how steep the curve will be and if they have the same cult status of the 80s?

The final bid on this afternoon's unlocked 80 BAT auction was definitely surprising. Looked like a good solid example, but still;WOW!

I purchased my first 80 series two years ago after a two year search. Bought it on Ebay. It became a bidding war between me and another guy who loved the color (Moon Glow), but didn't know much about LCs, according to the Seller in a follow-up conversation. I overpaid by a few thousand $$$ for sure, but wasn't disappointed as the truck was a solid example and included the magic factory button. What I started to see during my search two years ago was that unmolested, well-maintained examples with or without factory lockers were getting harder to come by not only because people wanted nice examples for themselves, but because a secondary group was beating the brush for solid trucks to modify and then sell to the quickly growing "expedition/overlanding" group. A guy who was doing just that contacted me after seeing the truck in the background of a photo I sent to a mutual friend. He was very interested in the truck, and explained that "every month more and more good-condition stock trucks are modified, which means fewer stock trucks remain."

On a side note, onesix6, a childhood friend who is a big time air-cooled Porsche collector spent two years during my 80 search trying to convince me to buy any nice vintage example from Stuttgarti I could find. I told him the cars were definitely cool, but I couldn't see why the rush to buy one, as they were probably already overinflated. Yeah - right.

Along these lines, I am a longtime FJ40 owner. FJ40s are special for so many reasons. While I hold pretty much any Land Cruiser head and shoulders above other four-wheel drives, I am embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until I actually owned an 80 series that I came to realize just how uniquely badass the 80 series is. I like everything about 80 series, and while under-powered, everything else about the truck is just so damn.....GREAT! Easy to work on, cool to modify, distinctive looks, just enough comfort in ride and interior appointments, and damn near indestructible.

More and more people will continue to discover their virtues. I do not see prices adjusting downward on solid, unmolested examples.

I was looking for a 3rd gen 4runner last year to offroad with.

LC #1:
My uncle had a 92 LC and offered it to me last year (2020) for $1500 & I passed on it because it did not have ABS brakes. Interior was decent and the paint was intact. Minor cosmetic issues. I helped him sell it for $3500 on FB. He sold his home and was moving to an apartment and he had to sell one of his toyotas.

LC #2:
Around this time I came across a '93 LC for 3k with a rebuild engine and new radiator (done in 2018). Dash says 244k. Cosmetically, a 2/10. But mechanically it looked good. It needed a new fuel tank so the PO cut $200 from the price and I got it for $2800. Then I found MUD and realized what a deal I got!

LC #3:
A friend's mom traded her 93 LC (late 2020) to a handy man in exchange for some home repairs. Repairs in the $1500-2k range. I offered to pay the repairs if they gave me the LC hahaha. They had already promised the repairman the LC so they told me no.

20200413_112922.jpg

20210329_012203.jpg

20200425_193630.jpg

20200426_131123.jpg

Last edited:
Buh... These prices have me second guessing my 80.

K294 Dark Emerald over Oak Collector's Edition (1 of 9 according to Mud - possible 1 of 1 with no factory roof rack), no rust, ~175k miles, BP51 suspension, ARB, Scheelmans, loooong spreadsheet of maintenance (rebuilt knuckles, new brakes, rebuilt lockers, new ignition, gaskets, on and on) and all the goodies... Seeing what that '93 just went for has me rolling on what mine would be worth o_O

This is intended as a "forever vehicle", but these prices have me considering otherwise

Buh... These prices have me second guessing my 80.

K294 Dark Emerald over Oak Collector's Edition (1 of 9 according to Mud - possible 1 of 1 with no factory roof rack), no rust, ~175k miles, BP51 suspension, ARB, Scheelmans, loooong spreadsheet of maintenance (rebuilt knuckles, new brakes, rebuilt lockers, new ignition, gaskets, on and on) and all the goodies... Seeing what that '93 just went for has me rolling on what mine would be worth o_O

This is intended as a "forever vehicle", but these prices have me considering otherwise
If that's how you feel then you have nothing to lose listing it on BaT. Set a reserve price you're willing to take and assuming they approve it, worst case scenario you're only out $100 if it doesn't hit it.

I sold my 80 4.5 years too early. Sold this one for $16,500, triple locked, 169,000 miles. I'm thinking this one would have brought $35,000 plus today. I got on here looking because I was thinking about buying another 80 but guess I'll have to wait until a recession hits. People are spending money like I've never seen before. I've been a real estate broker for 25 years, never thought I would see houses bring $200 - $250 a sqft in east Tennessee but they are and you can't find anything to buy.

Man I should have kept this
1_zpspdyt0w85.jpg

I sold my 80 4.5 years too early. Sold this one for $16,500, triple locked, 169,000 miles. I'm thinking this one would have brought $35,000 plus today. I got on here looking because I was thinking about buying another 80 but guess I'll have to wait until a recession hits. People are spending money like I've never seen before. I've been a real estate broker for 25 years, never thought I would see houses bring $200 - $250 a sqft in east Tennessee but they are and you can't find anything to buy.

Man I should have kept this
View attachment 2630242
Don’t tell me that! That’s what we pay here... Tennessee is on the list in the next year-ish! Will have to sell the 80 just to fund mountain house... :doh:

If that's how you feel then you have nothing to lose listing it on BaT. Set a reserve price you're willing to take and assuming they approve it, worst case scenario you're only out $100 if it doesn't hit it.
But I just like it too much... I’d have to see a big number to make it go.

Don’t tell me that! That’s what we pay here... Tennessee is on the list in the next year-ish! Will have to sell the 80 just to fund mountain house... :doh:
I hate to say it but yes, that's what's going on here. Listings last less than 12 hours on the market and 90% of the times they're selling over list price. Now that higher end is new construction, you can still find 5 year old and older homes for less than that. Listed a house a few weeks ago, 15 years old, 1.5 story, had 1800 sqft on the main and the 2nd story, a den in the basement, no main level garage, 1/4 acre lot, sold for $279,900 with in 4 hours of hitting the market. That same home would have sold for $180,000 4 years ago. I'm thinking we'll see interest rates start to climb and values will slow down. We've gained 12% appreciation in the last 12 months in my area and normally it's 3% a years, creating a hell of a bubble. When you get ready, give me a shout, will try to find you a deal

So I have got about $20k in a brand new 1FZ in mine, I spared no expense building the engine. It truly is new less a dizzy, IAC and MAF. It’s $1500 for those three parts alone and I just have not justified that extra cost yet when mine are fine. Although I may have to buy those parts soon before they are NLA, they certainly would finish off my engine build nicely. I just listed the parts in my build thread and cost here,

Now that is parts cost only, no labor cause mine is free for me! In addition I have done up the knuckles with no expense spared (new 105 spindles for example), did the brakes all up with very expensive parts including a OEM booster, nearly a full weatherstripping refresh, lots of other new interior parts too, steering is all new with SLEE HD rods, got some OME 861/862’s on it with the shorty BP51’s to match, SLEE belly skid, WK sliders going on soon as they arrive and lots of other little things done like VSS parts are all new. Even got a new OEM windshield for it.

It’s a rust free rare 1995 with cloth and x3 lockers. Only 205,000 on the whole Cruiser. Original paint is a 6.5-8 condition wise.

Like others I don’t really want to sell it but if I did I have tossed around $45k as my number. Now like others I am seeing the prices go up and up. I am thinking $45k is totally realistic if not a bit low. Looking at what others have sold for, $50+k seems more legit.

Some friends (who don’t pay much attention to Cruisers) are like “you crazy man”!!

I don’t know, they way the market is going, $50k or more doesn’t seem to unreasonable. What do you think by the markets current trend? 🤷🏼‍♂️😆

Cheers

The struggle is after selling it, even at a profit what is out there that I'd rather buy?

The topic has been beaten to death but the 80 is new enough and old enough at the same time, so it checks a lot of boxes. When I bought mine in 2015 I was actually looking hard at 60's and then realized the ones in my price range were rusty and rough.... 80's at that time were actually a good deal.

Sold for $46,500 not including 5% buyers premium. 209k miles. 3x locked. Fresh paint in an aftermarket color. Pretty long list of mods, but nothing crazy. I think we will be seeing a lot more frame off restorations

Appears it all went well, off to its new home.

trailer.jpg

The struggle is after selling it, even at a profit what is out there that I'd rather buy?

The topic has been beaten to death but the 80 is new enough and old enough at the same time, so it checks a lot of boxes. When I bought mine in 2015 I was actually looking hard at 60's and then realized the ones in my price range were rusty and rough.... 80's at that time were actually a good deal.
I'm gonna break ranks here and say that if I could get enough for my 80 that I could buy a Gladiator Diesel Rubicon, I'd have to sell the cruiser, hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom