More fuel range for the late 100... Or sell it and start over? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had my '07 LC now for 2 1/2 years and it's been a great rig. In 43k miles it's taken me all over the west and as far as the U.P. of Michigan. I've done a lot to it and plan to do a lot more... but as we all know there's one glaring issue we all have and that is the miserable range. The problem is massively compounded when you put anything on the roof or god forbid, have to tow something. Early 100's can upgrade to a LRA sub or main tank but post May 2005 is stuck with what the factory gave us. And no, I'm not interested in hauling around fuel cans. The point here is to not have to stop for fuel so often, if I'm pulling over to dump a fuel can in the tank I might as well stop at a gas station. I want longer range no matter if I'm driving around town, on a road trip or in the mountains.

tempImagerx0gKW.png

That's the one problem that I can't find a solution to and it's driving me f**king nuts. I'm genuinely considering buying an earlier rig and swapping all of my parts over before I get too deep into this thing. The guys at Long Range Automotive and Long Range America aren't interested in solving this problem, the market is likely much too small to bother with. @porkandcorn gave the sub tank a solid effort and was defeated. @J1000 seems to think a larger main tank should be possible with some clever/simple reengineering of the EVAP line. The '07+ Tundra was fitted with the same size tank that we have but had an optional 38g tank... I can't imagine that the EVAP system was different between the two so maybe there's something we can learn there? Personally I'm interested in a larger main tank as I want to keep my spare in the factory location but I'd be willing to bet similar solutions would work for a sub tank as well.

Any insight or advice or general BS comments are appreciated!

Last edited:
Having to stop at a gas station to fill up your Land Cruiser is driving you ****ing nuts?? Man I thought I'd heard it all in the 100 forum.

"The guys at Long Range Automotive and Long Range America aren't interested in solving this problem, the market is likely much too small to bother with."

Where's this info from? The Long Range Automotive 24g tank I have installed under my 2003 would seem to contradict this.

I thought the only issue was the EVAP canister being in the back. Are there some other differences with the 04+?. If it's just the EVAP box LRA made a tank to solve that issue.

Whether you can still get it in NA is another problem. As well you would need somewhere to put your spare tire.

I also seem to remember a larger main tank offered by LRA that fit fine as well. I believe it was 40g.

Last edited:
I just got back yesterday from driving across multiple states and yeah I wholeheartedly agree that I wish I had a bigger fuel tank. Really, I was only able to go 200 miles or so before having to fuel up again due to distance between towns in the middle of nowhere and trying to get the cheapest gas.

Like I told you, I think using an LRA main tank on a later model would be pretty straightforward. The fuel fill and vent are in a slightly different spot and are a slightly different size, but I recon it could be made to work. The $2k+ price tag just doesn't make sense for me, I'd have to get the best deals on gas for the rest of my life to try and break even on that price.

A Tundra OEM 38 gallon tank sounds interesting for sure. Does it mount in the same location?

Have you seen @I Lean 's thread about using a Chevy S-10 Blazer fuel tank as an auxiliary? Supposedly it fits perfectly where the spare tire goes. That's kind of where I'm leaning at the moment, waiting for better weather then I think that's what I'm going to do: DIY 20 gallon auxiliary fuel tank - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-20-gallon-auxiliary-fuel-tank.1166092/#post-12641119

I do dislike the idea of having an auxiliary tank, I'd rather just have a bigger main tank, but using the automated fuel transfer setup simplifies it at least.

Says the guy with an aux tank 😂
Ya cause I go to places I can't get gas. If there were gas stations everywhere I went I would just stop and fill my truck and not whine about it. ;) You could always take the money you're saving on not buying an Aux tank and spend it on coffee. Then you won't mind having to make all those annoying stops at the gas station as much.

What changed from 05 to 07 that makes these not work? If it's a clearance issue could you have a fab shop modify it?
tlc100ifsefr

Last edited:
Ya cause I go to places I can't get gas. If there were gas stations everywhere I went I would just stop and fill my truck and not whine about it. ;) You could always take the money you're saving on not buying an Aux tank and spend it on coffee. Then you won't mind having to make all those annoying stops at the gas station as much.

What changed from 05 to 07 that makes these not work? If it's a clearance issue could you have a fab shop modify it?
tlc100ifsefr

Thanks for the link but the most I got out of that was the tank and tub were different somehow. Does anyone know what specifically is different?

There are a lot of custom tank makers out there, surely this is solvable.

@GTV Although I mock your motivation for wanting to do this I can certainly appreciate your frustration trying to get some answers re what the issue with these tanks is. LRA definitely isn't much help. Have you talked to the guys at Cruiser Brothers? Maybe they can tell you exactly why it won't fit. They were pretty helpful when I put mine in the 03 and I think they may have been involved with getting LRA to make the tanks for 03-05 models but don't quote me on that.

I bought an engine and Tranny off this girl here in Vancouver. She had a right hand drive V8 100 from OZ with this tank in it. It was an 04 I believe. She still has this tank.
It's pretty cheap. That's like $600 US right now. Might be worth grabbing and seeing if you can make it work. Doesn't solve you're spare tire issue though.

Last edited:
Ya I gathered that. So the tank needs to be modified to clear the evap box and some lines? Is that it? There must be something else. What is that something else??? Has anyone had a look to see how far off from fitting it is?

Ya I gathered that. So the tank needs to be modified to clear the evap box and some lines? Is that it? There must be something else. What is that something else??? Has anyone had a look to see how far off from fitting it is?
The lines are just slightly different. I already answered you in post #4 obviously you didn't read the thread before jumping in.

The lines are just slightly different. I already answered you in post #4 obviously you didn't read the thread before jumping in.
I read it. My memory just isn't what it used to be. lol. OK well that certainly doesn't seem insurmountable. Fair enough not wanting to spend all that money in the hopes you can make it work. That's probably what it's going to take though, unless you find a cheap used tank. Good Luck

Someone buy the tank in Vancouver and get to work.

This worried me greatly too when I took a cross country trip 2 years ago. I’m not complaining about the MPG as it is what it is, but the range sucked and my worry would always be running out of gas in the Midwest when towns are so far from each other. I find that fear to be irrational since there was always a gas station within 100 miles of each other. I have the bladder control of a 12 year old girl so stopping often is not a bad thing, plus you get to stretch out your legs.

I don’t think it’s wise to sell your current rig and get an older one just for the purpose of easier to fit LRA tank. You have a nice rig now, I wouldn’t change it.

It’s just one of them drawbacks we have to live with when owning these vehicles. Wouldn’t drive anything else though.

$2k for a LR sounds ridiculous? It is! Build your own for 10% of the price!

Mine is only 60L volume, 50L usable (10 gal or something like that imperial) as I also have a 68L water tank down there, but that's fine as mine is diesel and it uses much less fuel. You can use as much space as you want. There is plenty. I think the biggest external tank available is 180L.
Fuel transfer is super simple - old fuel pump from an Opel or a VW from a scrap yard that pumps into the OEM tank breather on the flick of a switch. I wanted to use one that has a fuel level sensor, but couldn't get one before my big trip so that would be an upgrade for the future.
Used aluminium sheets that I had a workshop laser cut and bend, then a local guy welded them. Some scrap pieces for a bracket to hold it in place

For filling I got the OEM dual tank fuelling neck that I ordered from Amayama.
All in all it was about $100 for aluminium, cutting, bending and welding and then about $100 more for the dual fuel neck.

You can save on the dual neck. I have a filler for my water tank on the bumper, that would work for fuel too.

Fuel tank as I got it from the laser/bending. It's a rectangular box, no fancy shapes. You can squeeze quiet some more fuel if you play with the shape, but I didn't have the time or the nerves before travelling.

IMG_5467.jpeg

Welded with the pump. It's an extremely simple pump with just two wires and an outlet hose. I wish it had a fuel level snesor, but that would be an upgrade for the future. For now I have timed it how long it takes to transfer the fuel. Ran it dry once for about 40 minutes - still working fine. Not on this photo - breather and filling unions added later.

IMG_5619.jpeg

The two tanks. They sit a couple of centimetres above the differential sleeves and the towbar crossmember, so departure angles should be unaffected. Also visible the water tank hose. I drove 25km through Patagonia and now the Bolivian and Brazillian jungles - they are still fine. I HATE rock crawling though.

IMG_5666.jpeg

Water tank filling cap, which could work for fuel too

IMG_5664.jpeg

Last edited:
The 100 series range is pitiful, agreed there. My Tesla in the winter has more range than the 100 on a good day, lol.

That said, are you often ready to go longer than a full tank without having to stop to pee or at least stretch out your legs? I'd rejoice if my family made it more than 90 minutes without having to stop for somebody to eat/drink/pee.

I wouldn't sell the car over it. Configuring a custom tank or overcoming the jerry can/rotopax placement challenge seem like a lot less work than changing platforms.

I think the only way a vehicle swap makes sense is if you can swing $50k+ on something much newer and objectively better.

I agree with the comment to spend the saved $$ on coffee. If you double the tank size, best case, you save yourself 15 minutes every 4-6 hours. Seems like a relatively minor thing. If your overland adventure travel is that tight on time that it's a major detractor from the experience, I'm not sure you're doing it right, haha.

"The guys at Long Range Automotive and Long Range America aren't interested in solving this problem, the market is likely much too small to bother with."

Where's this info from? The Long Range Automotive 24g tank I have installed under my 2003 would seem to contradict this.

I thought the only issue was the EVAP canister being in the back. Are there some other differences with the 04+?. If it's just the EVAP box LRA made a tank to solve that issue.

Whether you can still get it in NA is another problem. As well you would need somewhere to put your spare tire.

I also seem to remember a larger main tank offered by LRA that fit fine as well. I believe it was 40g.

As you may have seen by now the cutoff is May 2005. I've emailed both LRA's and tried to coax out of them what the exact differences are but they either didn't know or didn't want to divulge that information. They just said sorry, you're SOL. Neither the 40g main tank (which is what I would prefer) or the 24g aux tank is available for 100's built post May 2005.
Congrats on your '03, IMO that is the best year 100.

Like I told you, I think using an LRA main tank on a later model would be pretty straightforward. The fuel fill and vent are in a slightly different spot and are a slightly different size, but I recon it could be made to work. The $2k+ price tag just doesn't make sense for me, I'd have to get the best deals on gas for the rest of my life to try and break even on that price.

A Tundra OEM 38 gallon tank sounds interesting for sure. Does it mount in the same location?

Have you seen @I Lean 's thread about using a Chevy S-10 Blazer fuel tank as an auxiliary? Supposedly it fits perfectly where the spare tire goes. That's kind of where I'm leaning at the moment, waiting for better weather then I think that's what I'm going to do: DIY 20 gallon auxiliary fuel tank - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-20-gallon-auxiliary-fuel-tank.1166092/#post-12641119

I do dislike the idea of having an auxiliary tank, I'd rather just have a bigger main tank, but using the automated fuel transfer setup simplifies it at least.

I'd really like to see the differences so I can understand what needs to be done and why. I want more fuel but not so much that I'm willing to risk $2k+ and start throwing codes constantly or having boiling issues or pressure issues or whatever else.

I wasn't thinking about using the Tundra tank specifically, just using the Tundra EVAP system as a guide. I can't imagine the tank would come close to fitting.

The DIY aux tank is cool but I'm not willing to relocate my spare. I know I'd hate having it in the way every time I needed access to the rear.

tlc100ifsefr

Ya so do I. I like to spend less time at gas stations and more time peeing outside.

I don't believe there are major physical differences in the tank itself(?), it's just the EVAP system. If it was that easy I'd already have one under the truck.

I don’t think it’s wise to sell your current rig and get an older one just for the purpose of easier to fit LRA tank. You have a nice rig now, I wouldn’t change it.

It’s just one of them drawbacks we have to live with when owning these vehicles. Wouldn’t drive anything else though.

It isn't the only reason, but it is the biggest reason. IMO, the fuss over the 06/07 is over rated.

I feel like every drawback the 100 has can be solved, I just haven't found the solution to this one yet.

The 100 series range is pitiful, agreed there. My Tesla in the winter has more range than the 100 on a good day, lol.

That said, are you often ready to go longer than a full tank without having to stop to pee or at least stretch out your legs? I'd rejoice if my family made it more than 90 minutes without having to stop for somebody to eat/drink/pee.

I wouldn't sell the car over it. Configuring a custom tank or overcoming the jerry can/rotopax placement challenge seem like a lot less work than changing platforms.

I think the only way a vehicle swap makes sense is if you can swing $50k+ on something much newer and objectively better.

I agree with the comment to spend the saved $$ on coffee. If you double the tank size, best case, you save yourself 15 minutes every 4-6 hours. Seems like a relatively minor thing. If your overland adventure travel is that tight on time that it's a major detractor from the experience, I'm not sure you're doing it right, haha.

It's about having more freedom to stop when and where I want to stop. 60% more range is huge and arguably about what these things should have had in the first place. Believe me, I didn't get a 100 because it was a wise financial decision and I don't expect a bigger tank to ever pay for itself.

Right now I'm at a point with this "build" that would be relatively easy to swap parts and start over. Once I get into changing the real hardware I feel like it's gonna be 'til death do we part.

I agree that the LC tank should have been 30 from the factory.

My Wife once got 430 miles out of one tank driving east from Breckenridge CO towards Kansas. 30 mph tail wind not kiddin.

I agree that the LC tank should have been 30 from the factory.

My Wife once got 430 miles out of one tank driving east from Breckenridge CO towards Kansas. 30 mph tail wind not kiddin.
She’s going downhill, you go west and up that i70 road and you’re gonna see 150 miles to that tank at most lol

Yes I can go 2.5 hours without having to pee :D

Had a 40 gal in my old Suburban. Even at 10MPG while towing I could make it to Albuquerque with only one stop.

$2k for a LR sounds ridiculous? It is! Build your own for 10% of the price!

Mine is only 60L volume, 50L usable (10 gal or something like that imperial) as I also have a 68L water tank down there, but that's fine as mine is diesel and it uses much less fuel. You can use as much space as you want. There is plenty. I think the biggest external tank available is 180L.
Fuel transfer is super simple - old fuel pump from an Opel or a VW from a scrap yard that pumps into the OEM tank breather on the flick of a switch. I wanted to use one that has a fuel level sensor, but couldn't get one before my big trip so that would be an upgrade for the future.
Used aluminium sheets that I had a workshop laser cut and bend, then a local guy welded them. Some scrap pieces for a bracket to hold it in place

For filling I got the OEM dual tank fuelling neck that I ordered from Amayama.
All in all it was about $100 for aluminium, cutting, bending and welding and then about $100 more for the dual fuel neck.

You can save on the dual neck. I have a filler for my water tank on the bumper, that would work for fuel too.

Fuel tank as I got it from the laser/bending. It's a rectangular box, no fancy shapes. You can squeeze quiet some more fuel if you play with the shape, but I didn't have the time or the nerves before travelling.

View attachment 3232646

Welded with the pump. It's an extremely simple pump with just two wires and an outlet hose. I wish it had a fuel level snesor, but that would be an upgrade for the future. For now I have timed it how long it takes to transfer the fuel. Ran it dry once for about 40 minutes - still working fine. Not on this photo - breather and filling unions added later.

View attachment 3232648

The two tanks. They sit a couple of centimetres above the differential sleeves and the towbar crossmember, so departure angles should be unaffected. Also visible the water tank hose. I drove 25km through Patagonia and now the Bolivian and Brazillian jungles - they are still fine. I HATE rock crawling though.

View attachment 3232644

Water tank filling cap, which could work for fuel too

View attachment 3232645
Impressive build. Do you have more details/pictures on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom