Monstaliner Bedliner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@magnetman you mention an adhesion promotor for plastics. Any more specific recommendation, brand/type etc? Looking to do the top of a roof top tent (ABS plastic hardshell) because I've had good success doing the roof of my 80. I think there will be other benefits to coating the rooftop tent hardshell (sound deadening, UV Protection, and durability from things scratching it).

Bulldog, 3M and Duplicolor make adhesion promoters. Follow directions in this PDF.
ABS does fairly well with adhesion promo compared to other plastics
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents/Monstaliner_Coating_Plastic.pdf

@magnetman

I do my roof in white (great product!) but now I want to color match to my Toyota OEM color. I realize it won't be perfect match. That said, exactly what kind of tint do I need to ask for from auto paint store and what specific points of clafification need to made to them? I've read other instances where the monstaliner setup too quickly due to wrong kind of tint being added to base.

We've tested a number of auto paint company tints with ML.
PPG "Shopline" toners shows best compatibility and did not screw with potlife.
I tested Sherwin Williams once and the mix turned to cottage cheese in 10-15 mins.
See this PDF for complete instructions

Get Hammered Monstaliner over a Dark Gray Metallic/Blue Slate. Rolled on.

View attachment 1958607
View attachment 1958611
View attachment 1958612

Used 2 gallons but need to order a touchup quart. Lots of tips already on here but wish I’d have removed sunroof from the start, as I cracked it... whoops. And pulled the hood and hatch doors. And ideally the windhield and rear hatch glass. Pull almost everything you can. I took off the belt moulding, which was trash but broke like every clip and for an 80 series it was about 300$ for the full set. Prepare to spend a lot of money on paint supplies as well. I went back to home depot like 5 times at 50$ a pop. Also I’d probably have like 10 rollers on hand. Anyway, just wanted to share this color as I couldn’t find but one example anywhere, and share a few of my thoughts on the process.

Used 2 gallons but need to order a touchup quart. Lots of tips already on here but wish I’d have removed sunroof from the start, as I cracked it... whoops. And pulled the hood and hatch doors. And ideally the windhield and rear hatch glass. Pull almost everything you can. I took off the belt moulding, which was trash but broke like every clip and for an 80 series it was about 300$ for the full set. Prepare to spend a lot of money on paint supplies as well. I went back to home depot like 5 times at 50$ a pop. Also I’d probably have like 10 rollers on hand. Anyway, just wanted to share this color as I couldn’t find but one example anywhere, and share a few of my thoughts on the process.

View attachment 1958626
View attachment 1958627
View attachment 1958629
That looks fantastic! Digging the color choice. Well done.

Here is my 80 in medium quartz gray. Like maxamillion said above, remove everything you can. I regret not removing the door handles, but not a big deal. I welded all of the fender flare holes
This stuff is easy to work with, but you definitely need an extra set of hands and need to work as quickly as possible. This is also the only paint/coating I have ever used that seems to repel bugs.

IMG_20191010_165451377.jpg
IMG_20191010_165500662.jpg

@peacesells63 Very awesome.Give us a few more pics in the sunshine please.

@peacesells63 Very awesome.Give us a few more pics in the sunshine please.

Will do. I took some, but they are terrible due to the low angle of the sun yesterday when I got the truck put back together.

IMG_20191010_165511878.jpg

I received an email that they have a bunch of new colors.... @magnetman

get 6 free chips of teh 68 colors available.

1570824537679.png

Last edited:
Just ordered my sample chips. I'm trying to not stray too far from the toasted OEM Imperial Jade Mica but I really do like the gray colors...
Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 4.29.47 PM.png

Hopefully they update their website soon so you can actually see what each color is named. I'm kind of sold on midnight special, but it looks like they have another possibly darker blue. No idea what the name is. I'm kind of stuck on blue since my 80 is already blue, but if I was doing a color change, it'd definitely be a gray. It looks great on all the ones I've seen.

Did you roll or spray? Any tips other than a second set of hands and removing everything? Looking to do my 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom