Monstaliner Bedliner (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ive been looking at raptorliner so this is a interesting read.

ive been looking at raptorliner so this is a interesting read.

Come join us here on Facebook
Monstaliner Masters

82731638_2744474748952320_4174199176483045376_n.jpg

hey @magnetman... technical Q.

I'm doing the leading edge of my roof and maybe 1-2" back with Monstaliner.

The area is presently a combo of bare metal, old paint, and some por-15.

What would be be the best way to prime all of this for Monstaliner?

TIA

My apologies if this mentioned earlier, but this is a long thread, and I could have missed it. I want to monstaline the rocker panels of my 100 series, below the trim. I plan on purchasing a quart of the tintable liner, and buy toner to match my factory white. That being said, where is a good source to buy? Is online or local best? And lastly how much toner? Monstaliner says 8-10oz per gallon, so 2-2.5oz for just a quart. Is less or more toner better for any reason? Thanks for the help in advance

My apologies if this mentioned earlier, but this is a long thread, and I could have missed it. I want to monstaline the rocker panels of my 100 series, below the trim. I plan on purchasing a quart of the tintable liner, and buy toner to match my factory white. That being said, where is a good source to buy? Is online or local best? And lastly how much toner? Monstaliner says 8-10oz per gallon, so 2-2.5oz for just a quart. Is less or more toner better for any reason? Thanks for the help in advance

PPG auto paint store only, toners must be PPG Shopline
see this PDF

Double check your sq footage, 1 quart only covers 15 sq ft in the 2 recommended coats

We got our tint from Napa and it worked great. It wasn't an exact match though due to the difference between the Monstaline and the regular paint.

We got our tint from Napa and it worked great. It wasn't an exact match though due to the difference between the Monstaline and the regular paint.
Does Napa have the ppg shopline? Is that what you bought?

Long time ago I worked in a paint and body shop so I’ve always mixed monsta by weight. twice now I’ve run out of Hardner/catalyst, so because I was doing a larger paint job decided to give it a more accurate amount of weight.
I came up with the full gallon of tintable product at 3830 g
Full can of catalyst was 490 g

so that works out to about 12.8 g of catalyst to 100 parts of monsta. As you see attached they say 13.3, so you don’t actually get enough catalyst for this mix ratio.

ECE7480D-4940-4235-A146-E98566F06125.jpeg

I see what you are saying.
First off the mix is not super critical and....
There are variances always in theoretical weight per gallon of all liquid formulas and then there are slight variances in filling cans.
We should probably over fill the catalyst cans by a little bit

Just need to be careful with strange tints that we have not tested. I mixed some Sherwin Williams tint once with tintable ML and it turned to gel/unusable in less than 15 minutes. SW makes all NAPA and Martin Senour labeled products so.... BE CAREFUL and read the Cautionary Note to do the test detailed at the bottom of the guide sheet on mixing auto toners with Monstaliner

PPG Shopline available at PPG Auto Paint Stores are universal in nature as long as they are purchased straight with no binders, balances or reducers

Just need to be careful with strange tints that we have not tested. I mixed some Sherwin Williams tint once with tintable ML and it turned to gel/unusable in less than 15 minutes. SW makes all NAPA and Martin Senour labeled products so.... BE CAREFUL and read the Cautionary Note to do the test detailed at the bottom of the guide sheet on mixing auto toners with Monstaliner

PPG Shopline available at PPG Auto Paint Stores are universal in nature as long as they are purchased straight with no binders, balances or reducers

I have used the PPG and also used the Matrix system with good results. Both of them seem to dry faster than the Monsta colors. Maybe 20% faster.

Oh, I forgot, I also put a small splash, about 1 tablespoon per quart of MEK solvent with the mix above to reduce it slightly.

How much are you 80s guys using? I bought 2 1/4 gallons, but now I'm worried it might not be enough.

How much are you 80s guys using? I bought 2 1/4 gallons, but now I'm worried it might not be enough.
Most people are saying that 2 is barely enough, however I had almost a half gallon left over. I put it on as think as I could and could have used more in places but still ended up looking good I think.
Edit:I purchased the two gallon kit

Most people are saying that 2 is barely enough, however I had almost a half gallon left over. I put it on as think as I could and could have used more in places but still ended up looking good I think.
Edit:I purchased the two gallon kit
Good to hear, it sounds like it's all over the place like you said. So hopefully my extra 1/4 gallon will have me covered.

So I’m getting ready to spray my 80 with Desert Sand Monstaliner in a week and a half. A couple questions for you guys who sprayed it:

1. Is the two gallon kit enough to spray an 80? I already have the 2 gallon kit but was just wondering if I should order more.
2. If you sprayed, did you use epoxy primer to prep the surface ? I’m just scuffing factory paint, not taking it down to bare metal. I watched the Youtube videos from Jonesys Garage and they used primer in their videos that detailed a how-to with a spray application.

Thanks!

So I’m getting ready to spray my 80 with Desert Sand Monstaliner in a week and a half. A couple questions for you guys who sprayed it:

1. Is the two gallon kit enough to spray an 80? I already have the 2 gallon kit but was just wondering if I should order more.
2. If you sprayed, did you use epoxy primer to prep the surface ? I’m just scuffing factory paint, not taking it down to bare metal. I watched the Youtube videos from Jonesys Garage and they used primer in their videos that detailed a how-to with a spray application.

Thanks!

For a full 80, I would get 3 or 4 gallons. I always prime the whole car with epoxy primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom