Mod: Extending range of keyless entry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fellas-I just received from @Ayune the first 100 series custom wiring extension for the keyless entry box. It was made using the Metra Toyota stereo connectors. It is a beautiful work of art. My most sincere thanks to Ayune for his help here.

Looking forward to getting this installed soon. I think I have just enough room behind the stereo to install. If not, I will go right behind cup holder up against the center console box.

Stay tuned. Will post results!

A17C52E2-B3AC-454A-8605-93D7AD7E49CA.jpeg

Fellas-I just received from @Ayune the first 100 series custom wiring extension for the keyless entry box. It was made using the Metra Toyota stereo connectors. It is a beautiful work of art. My most sincere thanks to Ayune for his help here.

Looking forward to getting this installed soon. I think I have just enough room behind the stereo to install. If not, I will go right behind cup holder up against the center console box.

Stay tuned. Will post results!

View attachment 1887894

Definitely watching this. And yes @Ayune does professional work no matter what it is.

What’s the trick to getting that box out? Been doing some Land Cruiser yoga up under the dash for 30 minutes, but can’t seem to get to that bolt head with a 10mm stubby.

What’s the trick to getting that box out? Been doing some Land Cruiser yoga up under the dash for 30 minutes, but can’t seem to get to that bolt head with a 10mm stubby.

Take the dash trim below the steering wheel off and go at it from the front with a long phillips screwdriver. I posted a pic earlier in the thread of it. Much easier than going at it from beneath....assuming they all have a phillips head as well like mine did.

55-60 FEET!!!

Finally got the box out this morning. Couldn’t see well enough last night, so gave up. Thanks @MallX4 and @sleepycruiser for your tips in getting to the bolt head holding this box under the dash.

I was able to successfully do a plug and play with the wiring harness @Ayune made for me.

I had just enough room behind my radio to mount this box in a vertical position. I stuck a felt pad on the back of the box and zip tied it right up the the large metal bar that runs behind the radio. You will have to mount the box as close as you can to the drivers side behind the radio for it to fit (radio wiring on the passenger side gets in the way).

I went from 5-10 feet on average with fresh remote batteries to 55-60 feet now with this modification.

@Ayune is the man! What a great and genius modification idea for our 100 series cruisers. Greatly appreciate you building me this harness. Let me know when you are in Houston. I owe you a steak dinner my friend.

EF9CEB4B-0771-4CB5-A454-ED8E3272865D.jpeg

2372C523-A1F9-4450-BD67-3969937EA8A1.jpeg

70339FE6-C464-4944-B475-7640B312E6C8.jpeg

BE2419E8-30E3-448B-93A9-52AACDA5FB7B.jpeg

55-60 FEET!!!

Finally got the box out this morning. Couldn’t see well enough last night, so gave up. Thanks @MallX4 and @sleepycruiser for your tips in getting to the bolt head holding this box under the dash.

I was able to successfully do a plug and play with the wiring harness @Ayune made for me.

I had just enough room behind my radio to mount this box in a vertical position. I stuck a felt pad on the back of the box and zip tied it right up the the large metal bar that runs behind the radio. You will have to mount the box as close as you can to the drivers side behind the radio for it to fit (radio wiring on the passenger side gets in the way).

I went from 5-10 feet on average with fresh remote batteries to 55-60 feet now with this modification.

@Ayune is the man! What a great and genius modification idea for our 100 series cruisers. Greatly appreciate you building me this harness. Let me know when you are in Houston. I owe you a steak dinner my friend.

View attachment 1888352

View attachment 1888353

View attachment 1888354

View attachment 1888355
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out.

I've been talking with Metra about possibly making pre-assembled harnesses for this. They seem open to the idea, I hope to hear back from them soon.

I've been talking with Metra about possibly making pre-assembled harnesses for this. They seem open to the idea, I hope to hear back from them soon.

Ayune-thanks again. 6 feet was plenty of length here for this harness. I had about an 1-1.5 feet of length left over when I got it mounted up behind the radio. I would say 5 feet would be perfect for this location if you build another harness. Also I had an aftermarket radio. Not sure about box fitting behind a factory radio or someone that has a Nav system. Would need to look into that further. If that was the case the box could go behind the front cup holder up against the console. Not sure if range would be 60+ feet here because it is lower than the dash, but I guarantee it will be better than before.

I'm in if this happens. Thanks for nurturing this along.

Ayune-thanks again. 6 feet was plenty of length here for this harness. I had about an 1-1.5 feet of length left over when I got it mounted up behind the radio. I would say 5 feet would be perfect for this location if you build another harness. Also I had an aftermarket radio. Not sure about box fitting behind a factory radio or someone that has a Nav system. Would need to look into that further. If that was the case the box could go behind the front cup holder up against the console. Not sure if range would be 60+ feet here because it is lower than the dash, but I guarantee it will be better than before.

Is your aftermarket radio a single din or a double din? By your pictures it looks single din. I wonder if there will be room to install it like yours with a double din radio.

Is your aftermarket radio a single din or a double din? By your pictures it looks single din. I wonder if there will be room to install it like yours with a double din radio.
Double din

Double din

Thanks, but I meant the electronics in the back. I found a single DIN mount wutw a double DIN screen Sony that looks like yours. If yours is that model, do you think the box relocation will still fit with a double DIN mount radio?

Thanks, but I meant the electronics in the back. I found a single DIN mount wutw a double DIN screen Sony that looks like yours. If yours is that model, do you think the box relocation will still fit with a double DIN mount radio?
Gotcha. Some head units are double-DIN in front with only a single-DIN’s worth of enclosure in the back.

The wireless box needs to be oriented vertically because of the way the internal antennas are configured. Mounting it flat against the back of the radio cavity is optimal for this location. I.e. don’t lay it down flat on top of a single-DIN enclosure even if that’s where the most room is.

Any update from Metra? I would be interested in the harness as well. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom