Mod: Extending range of keyless entry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could you solder small speaker wire to the factory antennas in the box and run them up the a-pillar?
Would it be simpler to solder onto the existing antennae or would that cause too much stress? Great mod BTW!

Simply extending the existing antenna(s) won't work well. Antennas work best if their length & shape are tuned to the desired frequency.

A random length of wire will poorly ‘receive’ many different frequencies likely drowning out the one you’re interested in. The correct antenna length & shape will resonate and ‘receive’ only around a certain frequency. In our case we want to listen to 315MHz which means a straight antenna length of 9.37” (measured from the PCB hole), or a coil just the right diameter, pitch, and wire gauge to resonate at 315MHz. That's what the OEM antennas are, as well as what's inside the new plastic antenna.

If you’re going through the trouble of gaining access to the box and soldering anything, it may as well be coax routed to a tuned antenna placed in the most optimal location. I did at first place the antenna on the A-pillar next to the grab handle and it didn't perform well, probably because of the body metal. The radio area was a short hop away and surrounded by pretty much just plastic. BTW the coax cable is not a part of the antenna itself, it’s just a very quiet conduit to pass the signal to the circuit board. It can be any length as long as its outer shield (braid) is connected to ground at the circuit board.

Would it be possible for a shop that specializes in custom wiring harnesses to make a simple plug and play extension just to route this box somewhere else in the vehicle?

Sure, the main goal is to simply relocate the antenna higher up in the cabin away from metal that impedes the already weak signal from the keyfob. The OE coil antennas probably work really well, but sourcing the harness connectors & crimp terminals may be difficult and more expensive. Plus there's not a whole lot of room behind the radio for the whole box, which would need to be mounted vertically for the antennas to work well. It may fit above the glove box?

Also thought about buying a used box off EBay in case I mess up my factory original. If I go that route does anyone know if re-programming would be required???

There's definitely some smarts inside the box. From what I can tell looking at the wiring diagram it talks to the Instrument ECU and would likely require re-programming if replaced.

Last edited:
@Ayune Do you know if my LC will still start and run if I take the module out? Just wondering in case I start the process and don’t finish for a day or so...or if I need to do it all in one sitting.

Thanks!!

237D071C-A69B-4857-8C53-85B8B1EE524D.jpeg

@Ayune Do you know if my LC will still start and run if I take the module out? Just wondering in case I start the process and don’t finish for a day or so...or if I need to do it all in one sitting.

Thanks!!

View attachment 1869443
Gee, I don't know... I guess you could unplug the box and see if it starts before removing it entirely

@Ayune I pulled mine out and it is slightly different than yours. You can see on your board where you scraped for the copper...I started to scrape mine in the same spot and realized it was just plastic. My copper areas are different. Does it matter which area of copper I solder the outside coax wires to? Below you will see the areas on mine...I have a screwdriver pointing to each. Thanks!

4F522F05-8563-459A-8F00-2FF301449AF4.jpeg

E41EC5B1-5A64-446A-B4D7-21C9457B89FD.jpeg

@Ayune I pulled mine out and it is slightly different than yours. You can see on your board where you scraped for the copper...I started to scrape mine in the same spot and realized it was just plastic. My copper areas are different. Does it matter which area of copper I solder the outside coax wires to? Below you will see the areas on mine...I have a screwdriver pointing to each. Thanks!

View attachment 1870917

View attachment 1870919
Wow, glad you asked! Second pic is the grounded copper, with “C1” “C3” etc. printed over it. The “301” section is the antenna circuit, or center conductor of the coax.

Wow, glad you asked! Second pic is the grounded copper, with “C1” “C3” etc. printed over it. The “301” section is the antenna circuit, or center conductor of the coax.

Haha. I started scraping and I thought that I should have hit copper....held it up to the light and I could see through the board on that spot. Doh!

Ok, so the center of the coax goes into either the Ant 1 or Ant 2 hole and the copper sheath (twister outside copper wire) that is tinned will go to the larger copper area where the screwdriver is pointed to in my bottom pic? So I should scrape next to C3/C4, etc....

I hooked it back up and before running the wire to the radio area tested it out. I am able to unlock the doors, but they won’t lock with the fob. The panic button works as well. Any ideas?

Edit: I started the LC and turned it off and then tested it. All is working. And all I have to say is WOW. I walked up my driveway which is easily 50 feet and out of the line of sight and it was still able to lock/unlock. I will post some pics and other info tomorrow after I get the coax run and secured.

One thing I did notice is that the doors will lock automatically after about a minute or so. It didn’t do this before.

Last edited:
What is the normal time for the doors to stay unlocked? Looks like I get about 30 seconds before they lock back.

Ok, so on my 2000...my board was different than @Ayune, but I scraped next to the C3/C4 and was able to get everything working. I haven’t tested the max distance, but will try tonight when I can see the lights lighting up.

You can see in the pic the bolt that needs to be taken out to get the orange box out. I tried the 10mm route and it wasn’t easy, so I did it with a long Phillips screwdriver. The angle was a little funny so I put the screwdriver into the Phillips head and pushed down a little and in so as not to strip the head. Worked well and pretty easy to get back in. I can’t imagine doing it with a ratchet....not much room.

The other pic shows where I mounted mine. For clarity, I ordered exactly what was in the first post from Digikey. Digikey shipped quick and everything was great.

If you are struggling with fob range this is well worth under $25 to do it.

Will report back on range.

8E8BEC16-9DDC-4664-B35C-FA74EB03796F.jpeg

8DF74DFC-1720-4AE9-9BFA-AB2B16DDF67E.jpeg

Brilliant. I will be doing this to my Lexus GS stat. And my module is really freaking easy to get to :p

Ok, so on my 2000...my board was different than @Ayune, but I scraped next to the C3/C4 and was able to get everything working. I haven’t tested the max distance, but will try tonight when I can see the lights lighting up.

You can see in the pic the bolt that needs to be taken out to get the orange box out. I tried the 10mm route and it wasn’t easy, so I did it with a long Phillips screwdriver. The angle was a little funny so I put the screwdriver into the Phillips head and pushed down a little and in so as not to strip the head. Worked well and pretty easy to get back in. I can’t imagine doing it with a ratchet....not much room.

The other pic shows where I mounted mine. For clarity, I ordered exactly what was in the first post from Digikey. Digikey shipped quick and everything was great.

If you are struggling with fob range this is well worth under $25 to do it.

Will report back on range.

View attachment 1871656

View attachment 1871659
Awesome. The only suggestion I have is maybe moving the antenna up a bit so the shaft isn’t right next to the metal radio bracket. That may cause a slight “blind spot” toward the vehicle front. Test first and see if it’s an issue.

Last edited:
Will do. The bracket goes pretty far up and looks like it would be similar no matter if I moved it all the way up or left it as is.

Wow, this is pretty cool. I'll have to play around with this. I'd love to make a relocation harness. I have some experience fabricating wire harnesses and could probably manage this all pretty well if I could source the connector.

Nice work, @Ayune !

Wow, this is pretty cool. I'll have to play around with this. I'd love to make a relocation harness. I have some experience fabricating wire harnesses and could probably manage this all pretty well if I could source the connector.

Nice work, @Ayune !
That. Sounds. Awesome. I believe it was your amp bypass video that I really enjoyed watching.

That. Sounds. Awesome. I believe it was your amp bypass video that I really enjoyed watching.

Haha, I got a lot of comments on that video saying it was a huge waste of time to do it all that carefully with a connector. Guess I'm just a little loony like that. Might as well take that lunacy and turn it into a revenue stream!

Haha, I got a lot of comments on that video saying it was a huge waste of time to do it all that carefully with a connector. Guess I'm just a little loony like that. Might as well take that lunacy and turn it into a revenue stream!
While that may be true, it's also the right way to do things! I do my wife's Lexus projects to OEM quality... but my 21yo Landy... not so much lol.

In this particular case, I think a good harness makes a lot of sense though. While modding the box may not be too complicated as shown above, a harness would solve this issue for a lot more early 100 owners who may not otherwise dig into it. I had personally retired my remotes, and intended to just us the key cyl for the rest of time. Now that I see this thread, I'll be back in the remote game for summer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom