MN > MEX Build/Maintenance/Route Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning a trip from Minnesota, through the Southwest (Colorado for a wedding and some adventure) and then down through Mexico to Oaxaca. I'll be staying in Oaxaca for about 2.5 months so I would like to have my trusty, and fairly built out 100 series to help with getting around and possibly getting to some off the beaten track locations once in Oaxaca state. I have a few questions for you mudders but first the state of things as of this post.

Proposed route to get there
https://goo.gl/maps/SD9BJb4CDa7qWoex7

2001 LC 100 Series, 250k miles, great condition

Preventative maintenance within the last 2 years for a 100 of this age
-fluids all around
-replaced plastic bits (t-hoses in particular),
-new battery
-New spark plugs
-Undercoated and tub interior coated

Some expected pieces replaced
-new alternator
-new OME suspension all around (~2")
-New Tires

Lots of mods that don't really matter for this thread... (f/r bumpers, winch, drawers, slide out kitchen, solar cargo box, etc)

I want my truck to run from the moment I leave to the day I return. Most of my driving is going to be moderate and I'm wondering what others would recommend from a maintenance perspective before a big trip. I don't want to know what exterior mods or other things I'll need at this point, I've got a lot of threads to reference for that. this is a simple, international pre trip checklist for those of us with used 100 series that are in good/great shape but want to make sure our ducks are in a row before going off into the unknown. Any advice from people who have driven their cars for extended trips into hot, foreign, and sometimes remote foreign countries without a great mechanic/parts network would be really appreciated.

If I was going on that trip this is my .02.. budget ish. And not knowing current status of some.

Repack the front bearings, check the hub flanges and cv axles.

New heater t is a given, spares to go with you.

You say fresh alternator, that’s a bonus. I’d take a spare either way.

New belt, fresh pulleys- keep old for spares

Take 4 new coils with you, and 4 new spark plugs.

Replace fuel pump, take old one with you if you can.

At least a quart of everY fluid. A gallon of straight coolant (water is easier to come by).

Fresh tires including spare.
Tire kit and compressor

Check your brakes, replace if questioned.

Just trying to cover the basics of hard to get parts on these rigs.

this is a good list! Thanks to all of you.

Timing belt and pump were done at 208k

CV’s were repacked with grease @ 215k and were in good shape at the time. May be time to bite the bullet and get new OEM ones. They are expensive though!!

Probably time for new hub flanges and bearing packing.

Belts and pulleys probably all around need to be replaced and keep others for spares

I’ll probably flush and fill most/all the fluids again both to get fresh stuff in and see if there’s anything in them (esp diff fluids). Carrying extra fluids is a good call. Is it not easy to find the spare fluids in MEX??

What about heating/cooling systems? Should I be replacing my radiator or fan as a preventative?

I’ll throw a fresh Engine Air filter in. (Have a snorkel)

I have full spare/tire and the tires are ~8k miles old so have a ton of life left. Cooper st maxx 285/75/16 on OEM rims.

What about window tinting on front and/or windshield?

It's a Toyota Land Cruiser - Gas and go!

If you hit oil change mileage enroute pull into a shop and get the oil changed.

The problem with preventative maintenance is there is always a chance of the repair causing a new problem (Bad part or bad installation). To avoid that inspection is your friend. Only repair things that don't pass your inspection. It sounds like you have done most things already. No need to throw out good fluids or throw away expensive good parts (radiator).

A few longer test drives a few months or weeks out will show you any problems.

Take a cell phone and credit cards for the road. And in remote Mexico try and find a friend to wheel with.

In hot weather at altitude the Evaporative Fuel system cannot handle the load so you will smell fuel venting. Just ignore it and don't play with fire.

Yeah - don't replace the fan, or the radiator or the CV axles as preventative maintenance. If you don't have a loud clunk going from D to N to R and vice versa then don't worry about the hub flange either. REpack the front bearings and carry a spare CV and hub flange etc. if you can.
On trails, just slow down a little and enjoy the scenery a little more, you will extend the life of the suspension by a lot!

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom