How to run Techstream on a Mac (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
desktop.png

I wanted to retire my 15-year-old PC that I only keep around for Techstream, so I decided to try and get it loaded on my Mac. I'm now able to connect to both my '98 LC and the wife's '11 LX and everything appears to be working as it should, so I figured I'd share how I have it set up if anyone else wants to do the same.

Getting it working is somewhere between :banana::banana: and :banana::banana::banana:

To get started, you’ll need:
  • Mac with at least 10.9 Mavericks, I’m updated to Sierra
  • Windows - I’m using 32-bit XP, but I’ve also loaded Techstream on a 32-bit Vista machine without any issues. I haven’t done it, but I’ve read it can be tricky (but possible) with newer 64-bit operating systems. Stay with the 32-bit to keep it simple
  • Techstream - I used 9.10. I don’t think whether you have the latest or an older version here matters.
  • Mini-VCI cable - mine was ~$30 off of eBay and included a mini CD with Techstream and drivers

Setup
Xcode 8.1 - download and install:
Xcode on the Mac App Store
Open Terminal and run the following to agree to license and install Xcode command line utility:
sudo xcodebuild -license
xcode-select --install
MacPorts - download and install:
https://www.macports.org/install.php
Add environment variables to your .profile (might be .bash_profile depending on how you're set up.)
Open Terminal and run the following:
nano ~/.profile
Copy/paste the following lines into the editor:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
Contol-o, [return], control-x to save changes and exit
Install other packages MacPorts and VirtualBox need:
sudo port install libidl +universal doxygen texlive texlive-latex-extra texlive-fonts-extra cdrtools openssl
VirtualBox - download and install:

Create your VM (Virtual Machine)
Start VirtualBox from the Applications folder.
Select New (top right round blue icon, or Machine>New from the menu)
Name and operating system:
Name = whatever you want e.g. XP
Type = Microsoft Windows
Version = the OS you intend to install e.g.Windows XP (32-bit)​
Memory size:
I initially went with 192MB and later increased it to 8192 MB​
Hard disk
Check Create virtual hard disk now
Hard disk file type
Check VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image)
Storage on physical hard disk
Check Dynamically allocated
File location and size
Name your hard disk file (I just re-used XP from above)
virtual hard disk size = 10.00 GB​

Windows - install it on your VM
Start your VM (double-click it on the left or select start from above)
It will prompt you for your Windows install method.
If you have an XP disc, you’ll need to allow your VM to access your Macs disk drive: select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.
If you’re installing Windows from a file, use the folder icon on the right to select the .iso file on your Mac.​
Follow the prompts, it will be straightforward and will vary depending on your version of Windows​

VM settings
You should still have two windows open: your Windows environment and VM VirtualBox Manager. The following settings can be accessed through either window.
Windows environment > Menu > Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image…
Follow the prompts, no changes to the default settings
Reboot​
Windows environment > Menu > Devices > Drag and Drop > Bidirectional
Windows environment > Menu > Devices > Network > Network Settings

Bridged adapter
en0:
Advanced > Promiscuous Mode = Allow VMs​
Plug in your Mini-VCI cable
Windows environment > Menu > Devices > USB > USB Settings
Plus icon on the right
Select your Mini-VCI cable​
Windows environment > Menu > Devices > Shared Folders > Shared Folders Settings
Plus icon on the right
Navigate to a folder e.g. I used my Mac’s desktop
Name it whatever you want e.g.macDesktop
Check both Auto-mount and Make Permanent
Install Techstream
The settings above should allow you to access your shared folder, get to the internet, and drag and drop files from OS X to your VM. My Mac does not have an optical drive, but I would guess it also needs enabled for Windows to be able to read your Techstream install disk. I found another copy on the internet and just used that instead of creating a .iso file on another machine and moving it to my Mac.

Before opening Techstream, open C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\IT3System.ini in notepad and change TISFunction=1 to TISFunction=0. It will save you from some annoying registration alerts. It may already be edited depending on where you got you Techstream.​

Install Mini-VCI driver
Last step is the driver for the Mini-VCI cable. If you bought an eBay or Amazon cable that included Techstream, it should be on the disc they sent with it. Your looking for “MVCI Driver for TOYOTA.msi” or something similar. Again, I just googled around and found this one that worked: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=75C933EE49501E9A&id=75C933EE49501E9A!126
Let me know if you have any questions, need some screenshots or if I missed any steps above,
Dean

Last edited:
I got confused and lost in the first paragraph of all that.... Why does your wife drive around in the 2001 LX and you get the 98 LC?

I let the wife break in the vehicles that are "on deck." It propagates Land Cruiser loyalty throughout the household and ensures I get a good truck with a known history in 5-10 years, allowing time for plenty of aftermarket suppliers to come to market and all of the common issues to rear their head. It's actually a 2011 she drives.

Did you run into any issues with the ECUs not being accessible? I am getting the following message.

Selected system is not responding or not available. Please check the repair manual for applicable systems.
It also changes the box from yellow to white; From ECU Status unknown to ECU not supported or not responding

full

Hi all! Land Cruiser 120 owner here. I know I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I tried to go through the process above and got a bit spooked when MacPorts repeatedly installed 'dependencies' during it's installation - It was the massive use of hard drive space that I was getting concerned about as it was somewhere in the region of 15gb when I eventually pulled the plug. My question is: should I have said 'no' to the installation of dependencies during the MacPorts install process? I'd really like to get this working on my Macbook, since my trusty old Windows laptop has died the death...
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Hi all! Land Cruiser 120 owner here. I know I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I tried to go through the process above and got a bit spooked when MacPorts repeatedly installed 'dependencies' during it's installation - It was the massive use of hard drive space that I was getting concerned about as it was somewhere in the region of 15gb when I eventually pulled the plug. My question is: should I have said 'no' to the installation of dependencies during the MacPorts install process? I'd really like to get this working on my Macbook, since my trusty old Windows laptop has died the death...
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

I believe you should've said 'yes'

Another alternative to using VirtualBox is just using VMWare Fusion and importing the .vdi file you can download here. Way easier. Took me 5min to get it working on my MacBook. You can either source Fusion legitimately or not. Up to you. Either way, if you're having trouble with Virtualbox and aren't super computer inclination, I'd recommend VMWare Fusion.

If you want to move forward with VirtualBox, I'd go ahead and follow the instructions from the linked thread. I believe it works just fine in VirtualBox without the dependencies required.

What's the need (or the benefit) of Xcode and MacPorts?

I have it working just fine using only VirtualBox and the Windows install from the threads here, so it's a question of curiosity. Plus, I have to do it all over again, as I've just replaced my MBP.

Edit: Xcode is needed for MacPorts to work.

Hi 128keayton & saucebox! Thanks for your replies.
I will in the first instance give VMWare Fusion a go since they have a trial period.

Hi 128keayton & saucebox! Thanks for your replies.
I will in the first instance give VMWare Fusion a go since they have a trial period.

No need to worry. All the software OP lists is on the up and up. It does take up a LOT of room though.

I just used the .vdi from the link above just fine in a fresh VirtualBox install with none of the dependancies installed above just fine.
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.54.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.54.58 AM.png

Running sweet on VMWare Fusion with a fresh XP build (I had a disk knocking about) and Techstream v10.10.118. Really happy as it only took up about 8gb HD space, and I've finally been able to get to the bottom of a problem I've been having with the airbag warning light showing up intermittently - turns out it was a seat position sensor, which I think will be a cheap fix. Really happy - thanks again!

4 years later instruction still worked on MBP (Catalina) + Virtual Box + XP (32 bit) + Techstream 14. Haven't connected to the vehicle yet, but hopefully it should be ok. Will report if I face any problems.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run it somehow on an M1 mac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom