Mix grease for 555 ball joint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to install the new 555 ball joint for LCA, and then realized one on the left seemed having less grease than the other one at right. Is that a concern?

If to add more grease what grease should I use? I happen to have the Calcium Sulfonate Complex NLGI 2 grease which looks like in the similar color. Is it a good or bad idea to apply more of this grease to the ball joint?

20231109_142500.jpg

Highly unlikely to have a chemical reaction between the 2 that would compromise the joint in any way, doubt it would negatively affect the rubber boot either. It's not like mixing different weight motor oils that would causing aerating or foaming and potentially damage engine bearings.
If it makes you feel comfortable you can always clean out the existing grease and repack with grease of your choice. We have been exclusively using Redlines high temp high pressure grease in axles, wheel bearings, and a long list of other assemblies for over 20 years. Incredible stuff!

It's a 555.

As long as the grease you have is rubber safe you'll be fine. You just don't want to use any petroleums that are caustic and degrade rubber and seals. You can usually find the TDS for a product which will help

Found this online: Lithium complex and calcium sulfonate grease both have the advantage of being compatible with each other and many other types of conventional grease lubricants. The only classes that are incompatible with a lithium complex and calcium sulfonate grease are traditional polyurea-based grease and bentonite clay grease. Calcium sulfonate is also incompatible with calcium complex grease.

I would have to think that 555 uses plain old lithium grease in their joints from the factory.

A great deal of grease info here: https://www.finol.ie/news/grease-101-lithium-or-calcium-sulfonate-grease/

Any grease will outlast the 555.

Any grease will outlast the 555.

Not very helpful or what he's asking considering he's bought them and is installing them. Grease you've got should be fine, in fact like you've said, looks like a match.

side note, 100k on my 555 replacement upper and lower BJ's, they're great.

^ Did you check or you are saying it is still holding on. I can understand the upper but lower is what gets abuse all the time and since it is up side down design, chances of it popping out is extremely low. But all the lower ball joints used in 3rd gen 4runner (1st gen taco) had a design failure, and those who used moog, mevotech etc (all 555 joints) have failed in less thank 20K miles. My friend went with 555 and it failed at at 20K miles. He went again with another Oriely set (again 555) and after 20K miles I checked the condition and it has about 4 mm play vertical.

Just use Lucas Red 'N Tacky. It's served my Moog LBJs fine over the past 30k, and the U joints too. Non-OEM ball joints won't lead to certain death as long as you keep up on the maintenance.

Cruiser Outfitters sells hundreds of 555 joints for all models of Land Cruisers, you'd think we'd hear more about failures from them if that was the case. Sounds like your limited case that you're trying to extrapolate out to all 555 joints may be just that, limited, or installer error, or abused use. It's the good old internet mysterious "they say".

OP, I will say the one ding I have on 555 is the top side, mine were bare metal. I had to hit them with dot of Rustoleum, but I believe newer joints have a clearcoat on them.

555 stuff is pretty nice. Used their tie rod emds and swaybar end links on my buddy's Tundra and they were identical to OEM, other than having a grease zerk. I personally prefer greasable parts and Made in Japan is icing on the cake.

Tundra is not made in Japan, so they use parts mostly sourced in north America so a 555 may look like OEM. There is a massive difference between the quality of vehicles made in Japan and elsewhere.

I installed the ball joints in the 3rd gen. And it is a 2wd model so no wheeling and used by an elderly gent. Check out lower ball joint failure on 1st gen taco and 3rd gen 4runners. I am in t4r.org and there we strongly emphasis the use of oem.

Tundra is not made in Japan, so they use parts mostly sourced in north America so a 555 may look like OEM. There is a massive difference between the quality of vehicles made in Japan and elsewhere.
555 parts are made in Japan. They say so on the box.

The numerous American made Tundras that have made it to 1M miles clearly refute your "massive difference" claim. I've owned Japanese vehicles built in Japan, Mexico, and Indiana. Including cross-Pacific vehicles from the same manufacturer. All have been great and there has been no discernible difference in quality.

Those 1M mile driven vehicles are driven daily like taxis so even crown vics ,so yes, but it is just the powertrain they claim, but ask them how.may rear axle bearings u joints, steering racks, ball joints, window winders, ac compressors, alternators, water pumps have been replaced. Well my 21 taco made in MX had faulty heater hose clamp right out from factory. Several 3rd gen tacos with peeling paint under the warranty says the quality.

I thought scotty was wrong so got a Taco but learned my lesson. Not all Japanese vehicles are good such as Honda, subaru mitsu. Toyota is exceptional.

Is there a difference between A koyo bearing in a toyota oem box and a koyo bearing in a koyo box?

Last edited:
Holy thread drift. Back to 555 and grease, you'll be fine OP, quality product, I can count on one hand the number of users on Mud that say they've had a poor experience with 555 and way more that have had no issues.

I installed the ball joints in the 3rd gen. And it is a 2wd model so no wheeling and used by an elderly gent. Check out lower ball joint failure on 1st gen taco and 3rd gen 4runners. I am in t4r.org and there we strongly emphasis the use of oem.
But you can't buy OEM lower BJs for the 100 series without the entire LCA, right?

Holy thread drift. Back to 555 and grease, you'll be fine OP, quality product, I can count on one hand the number of users on Mud that say they've had a poor experience with 555 and way more that have had no issues.
Like you mentioned, just hit bare metal parts like ball joints or tie rod ends with spray paint.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will pressed in the 555 ball joints and sprayed the bare metal. Will report back how long it may last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom