Replacing upper ball joint boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Upper ball joint boots were shot (314K miles) and I bought the kit at the Toyota dealer ($15 list price, each) and installed it while replacing the CV axle. Very straightforward, but the new 'clip' included with the kit (the slinky-like boot retainer) is mild steel, and very flimsy and instantly bent. I re-used the old clip (which is flat, spring steel and vastly superior) and it worked great. They give you plenty of grease.

I oscillated/cycled the upper ball joint and it felt tight and smooth throughout the range of motion. The lower ball joint (a greaseable Moog Problem Solver, installed by the PO 55K miles ago) felt a little bit chunky in the wear zone, which doesn't bode well for the long term. Oh, well. It's tight - just not as smooth as the OEM upper.

Finally, I removed a crappy Carquest CV axle that was worn out at 20K miles (sloppy loose) and installed a Cardone 'HD' axle. We'll see if it lasts any longer. My OEM shafts are long gone. As of now, it's quiet and tight when you shift from Drive to Reverse.

P1030548.JPG

P1030554.JPG

P1030556.JPG

P1030557.JPG

The wire supplied with the reboot kit is not meant to be a circlip, it is tie wire. It is to be wraped two times around the boot and then the ends twisted to tenion it properly. It's actually much easier ti install than the oem clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom