Mini Tractors - lets see um (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been clearing junipers, oak and elm saplings, and brush from under and around a huge old live oak tree on our place, the oak tree must be 100-200 years old, the circumference is huge - way bigger than I could possibly reach around. When I first found it, you could barely walk around it, the underbrush was so thick. After cutting and burning a good part of the fall and winter, and pruning the big oak, it is getting nice enough to see the potential. Here is a photo of it last winter while burning a pile:

View attachment 2651364

So today, I drove my tractor down a 4-wheel-drive trail, down a steep hill, and across a small creek to get to the oak and mow all around the cleared area with the brush hog. There is grass growing already, I hope to make it spread and thicker, and keep the saplings and briars from coming back by keeping it mowed fairly short. My wife wants to have her birthday party here in August, and my youngest daughter is going to get married here in October.

I was a little worried about getting the tractor and brush hog down and up the creek banks. The creek bed here is a flat sheet of solid rock, and the water is only a few inches deep, so the only problem was the articulation of the brush hog on the three-point hitch, and traction on the somewhat muddy banks. I made it over just fine and got everything mowed, but coming back the other way I couldn't get back up the bank, even in 4WD and with the rear diff on the tractor locked. Too much mud, a small rock ledge, and not enough traction with the ag tires on the Kubota.

A 1/4-mile walk back to the house to get the 40, drive it to the top of the hill, and rigged a straight pull with the winch line of the mighty 8274:

View attachment 2651389

Started the tractor and put it in neutral, then walked back up to the Cruiser and winched it up:

View attachment 2651397

The 8274 pulled it right up without slowing down or any complaint - it's the best winch I've ever had by far.

Once I pulled it out of the creek and about half-way up the hill, I set the hydraulic brake on the tractor, rigged down the winch line, strap, and shackle, wound the line back on the drum, moved the 40, and drove the tractor the rest of the way up on its own power.
That's just good livin!

Yep....Sometimes tractors just needs a little help......My Samurai has helped to get mine up the icy hill after clearing the range.

C3013D64-E284-4C5A-9103-C82788820FCB.jpeg

Last edited:
So I was getting the hang of pulling up small pines and hardwoods by their roots using this grapple. Actually easy to do and enjoyable to be making progress in this field. So I get around to some bushes that have popped up and yank up a pile of those while I’m at it. Then I come around and start working down the road frontage on some bushes that make it hard to see when pulling out...the “THUMP” happens. It was late in the day so I wait until business hours to notify my salesman and he quickly turned me over to the shop guys. Had a guy pick it up before lunch that day.

I was able to jack up the axle and get 4 bolts started and snugged up with an end wrench. Those four also had about 5 threads worth of knuckle on them. One bolt was sheared off and the 6th was MIA. I asked for a new knuckle or a helicoil repair and 1/2” of weld across the bottom so it doesn’t happen again. Had about 12 hours on her when it happened but I was giving it hell pulling those bushes. Wife was trying to get on me but with a 2 year bumper to bumper I have to get all these bugs worked out on their dime.

Had about 4 hours of yanking trees. This is start of the third pile.
View attachment 2640656

Carnage from a bush.
View attachment 2640657

I got this back yesterday and have racked up about 8 hours already. Bush hogged 4-5 acres and pulled up that clump of bushes that sent it to the repair shop. Instead of brute force I've decided to work things from 2-3 angles until it gives loose. Not as fun but gets it done and I've got a pile going by the road for the county to pick up that's the size of a two car garage already and I still have more to go. Looking at getting some sort of root rake device so I can hook bushes and trees by their roots and pull them out that way vs the grapple and FEL getting all sorts of abuse.

View attachment 1574117 I use mine for everything, been using forks for sometime now and they can load 800lbs, about the limit of my loader! No flex but get good quality ones.
What year model is this tractor? I saw one very similar for sale beside the road the other day.

Using the 40 to rip out a fence line of hogwire and the resistance of the wire plus the mud = stuck. We were driving in reverse at this point to pull a long section of fencing free. Kubota in low range eased the 40 out of the mire.

IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7098.JPG
IMG_7097.JPG
IMG_7099.JPG

Looks exactly like Deep East Texas.

The rural parts of Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and east Texas have many things in common from my point of view.

IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
Tried to find one with an FJ...look close
IMG_2955.jpg

20220508_110553.jpg

1980's vintage JD 750. Sweet little (?) mini tractor.

It's got a 60" mower deck, and I've been searching for a belt diagram for the deck. It's PTO driven, with only the spindle belt. I can't find anything online, so if anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

View attachment 3003687

1980's vintage JD 750. Sweet little (?) mini tractor.

It's got a 60" mower deck, and I've been searching for a belt diagram for the deck. It's PTO driven, with only the spindle belt. I can't find anything online, so if anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

I get my belts from A & I products.
At the following, they list a belt for a JD755 with a 60" belly mower deck. I did not see a JD750 listed. My expectation is they are the same but you will want confirmation before ordering. You may need to call. Also, is the belt number still visible anywhere along the outer perimeter of the belt. This number could also be cross-referenced at the A&I site.

My mini-tractor goes back a tad bit further than the '80s and they have the belts for a ~1950/1951 Allis Chalmers CA with a Wood L59 belly mower.
Good luck. Nice tractor.

Allis with buggy.JPG

Had to give my Kubota L2350DT a bath today. All the engine panels and quick scrubbing of the outside.

27 years old now. Still runs strong.

Kubota Purchased.jpg

Bath1.jpg

Panels Clean1.jpg

Panels Clean2.jpg
Panels Clean3.jpg

they list a belt for a JD755 with a 60" belly mower deck. I did not see a JD750 listed. My expectation is they are the same but you will want confirmation before ordering. You may need to call. Also, is the belt number still visible anywhere along the outer perimeter of the belt. This number could also be cross-referenced at the A&I site.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of JD 755 references. I'm not certain if the mower decks are interchangeable. The only tag I could find on it is barely ledgible:

20220508_122254.jpg

From what I've researched, it would be a model 160. I can't fully make out the first character, I think it might be an 'M'? Serial number 556637

The belt is pretty much pooched. It appears to be the original belt, and is frayed pretty bad. It's also bleached to the point it's more tan/white than black. No markings remain to cross reference. From all the bandwidth I burnt, it appears to be the M140021 part number. I just checked with my son, and he ordered an aftermarket replacement (Amazon). JD wants $60 for an OEM belt. Aftermarket was half that. We'll check to see how the material/construction looks before winding it on the pulleys.

Good luck with finding the right belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom