Milestar Patagonia Mud Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed some new tires on my truck. They have a very open mud style tread, the price for them was very reasonable. Since the spare tire on my truck was the original Bridgestone from 1994, i bought 5 tires. They were LT265/75/16R load range E. The cost for all 5 tires ($805) with mounting, balancing, and road hazard ($110) came to a total of $915 bucks. Please take note, these tires are not made here in America, the sidewall on the tire is marked, made in Indonesia. Since these tires have such large open tread blocks, they may take more tire weights, then most tires do, in order to get them to balance. One of my tires took 7 1/2 OZ's of weight, in order to get it to balance. Even with such a large open tread, they are still very quiet at all speeds.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

Well it's only been 2 months since i installed them, but so far I'd have to say if i had to do it over, I'd do it again without even thinking twice. For the price they are really hard to beat, but do take note from my first post. Since they have such large tread blocks, they may take more tire weights then some members may be comfortable with for a stock size tire.

They have a unique tread pattern. Looks nice. But, that is a lot of weight. Used to be not that uncommon. Was it just one tire that took all of that weight? We're the others a lot less? I don't know if you tried road force balancing. Sometimes that helps.

i've got some milestars on the wife's acura... pretty terrible tires with regards to grip, but they were incredibly cheap and seem to be wearing well..

i probably wouldn't get another set due to being about as hard as a rock... doesn't take much for me to get them squealing...

i'd imagine these MTs are a different ballgame altogether...

it's interesting you say they're quiet at all speeds... they look really loud to me...

To answer thetoyotaman question about wheel weights, yes that one tire took the most weight, all the other tires took less weight to balance. I'm sure if the guys at the tire shop had spent some more time moving the tires around on the rims to find the sweet spot, they may have taken even less weight. But it's hard as hell to find a tire shop that's willing to put in that kind of work, to balance a set of tires. To answer AAE42question, yes, so far they are VERY quiet around town, you can't even tell you have M/T tires on, and at highway speeds the same thing. I've had a set of super swampers on a Ford Bronco, and at highway speeds the noise coming off of those tires was so loud you could hardly hear the radio, these tires are SUPER quiet compared to something like those.

Cool. I think they look nice, kind of like a mix of 70's and modern. Have you driven them in snow at all?

My tires now have just a little over 2 1/2 years of use on them, and if i had to do it over, I'd buy them again. Most of the time as tires get older they get harder with age, (causing them to be louder at highway speeds) so far that doesn't seem to be the case with these tires. Also, since these tires have such big tread blocks they haven't developed any weird wear patterns yet. But I'd like to point out (since it's a free service) i do take my truck by my local tire shop at least once a year to have them do a 5 tire rotation, and re-balance to maximize tread life.

Last edited:
My tires now have just a little over 2 1/2 years of use on them, and if i had to do it over, I'd buy them again. Most of the time as tires get older they get harder with age, (causing them to be louder at highway speeds) so far that doesn't seem to be the case with these tires. Also, since these tires have such big tread block they haven't developed any weird wear patterns yet. But I'd like to point out (since it's a free service) i do take my truck by my local tire shop at least once a year to have them do a 5 tire rotation, and re-balance to maximize tread life.

That’s good to know! How many miles do you happen to have on them, I keep hearing that they wear pretty fast

Unlike most people i don't drive that much, so i had to go check to see how many miles I've put on them. As of today I've got around 16000 miles on them, so I'm adding give or take, around 6000 miles a year.

Here's a link to a current review of these tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: ppc
Unlike most people i don't drive that much, so i had to go check to see how many miles I've put on them. As of today I've got around 16000 miles on them, so I'm adding give or take, around 6000 miles a year.

Here's a link to a current review of these tires.

I’m glad you’re still happy with them! Thanks a ton, I think I’m ganna go with them

One thing i will tell you, DON'T run these tires at the full PSI listed on the sidewall for full time street/highway driving. The reason i say that, if you do you'll wear out the center tread of these tires FAST. They list 80 PSI on the sidewall, that would be fine if your carrying a ton of stuff, (close to the full load rating of the tire) but most of the time you won't need to run anywhere near that amount of pressure.

When i checked* what was the correct amount of air for my tires, i found that around 35 PSI gave me the best contact patch, and tread wear. *Here is a link to a thread that tells you how to test different tire pressures to determined what's the correct amount of air pressure for you to run with the load your carrying.
Tire pressure question?

I put a set of 315/75/16s on my 1997 - absolutely wonderful all-around tire. I run 40-45psi when towing, 35 empty.

Also, these go on sale quite often on Amazon, $150 each and free shipping for the 315s.

I'd like to add an update to this thread. I've been running Milestar M/T tires for almost 3 years now, and I'd like to let everyone know about a strange tread failure i had this pass weekend. A few tread blocks sheared completely off one of my tires while i was out 4 wheeling.

I had been driving over different types of desert terrain, and had aired down to 20 PSI before we started. Upon returning to the pavement i started to air my tires back up. That's when i noticed that a few tread blocks were completely missing from the tread of one tire. The best way to describe the damage that that one tire had, it kind of looked like what tread chunking looks like.

I bought all 5 of my tires from Walmart, and while having them mounted and balanced, i spent an extra 50 bucks for a road hazard warranty to cover all my new tires. As it turns out Walmart is going to replace my damaged tire free of charge, they said it's covered under their warranty. So if you buy these tires from Walmart, spend the extra money on the warranty, because you may need it later on like i did.

Last edited:
Please post some pics!
Well your in luck, since Walmart doesn't stock that tire and had to order my replacement i sill have the damaged one. Since it's dark now you'll have to wait till tomorrow for the photos, but i will post some for you.

I had a duratrac chunk up on me like that once. It was only one tire so I always wondered if it was due to a manufacturing issue.

For that price those tires look like a really attractive choice. I will have to keep them in mind next time I need new rubber. Have you considered going with beads instead of weights? I am running beads in my 315's right now and they seem to work well.

Wow that's impressive. A buddy of mine runs the 37" MT's on his Jeep. He concurs they are very quiet on the road and seem quite grippy offroad, and the price is very competitive. He also seconds the weighty balancing - his took a surprising amount to balance. The pics make the blocks look rather soft, but who knows what caused that damage. Looks like a very well placed sharp pointy razor blade upon which you pirouetted in a stylish fashion. 💃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom