Method for trapping greaser mice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd go with two different approaches depending on where the vehicle is parked.

- If parked outside I'd want to encourage the mice to leave the vehicle alone so I'd put bait and traps in the general area but away from the vehicle. Under the hood I'd go with things that repel mice like peppermint oil. Also I'd let the vehicle stay cold, this time of year they are seeking a warm place and a engine is warm for hours after running. Be sure to vacuum out any nests they might have left under the hood. If there is a nearby outdoor food source remove it (such as a bird feeder).

- If parked in a garage I'd seal up any access points to the garage first. Steel wool, etc, in every nook and cranny to keep the mice from getting into the garage. Don't leave any food out, including bird food, etc... unless its sealed in a can. Once the garage is sealed up I'd setup a bunch of traps on the floor of the garage to wipe out the current population. Adding repellent under the hood will also help keep them away. Leave the garage door closed as much as possible so they can't sneak in and leave some traps just in case.

So I have a greaser mouse living under the hood. It’s little mouse paws are generously coated with engine oil, therefore rendering my glue traps ineffective. Any advisable methods of capturing this Slick Willie? I’ll be setting spring traps tonight, perhaps I’ll pick up a small electro shock trap as well. Ordering Mint Spray also. Little bastard happily accepted my offerings without sticking around to say thanks 🤬 I think he might be climbing up the passenger side wheel. I seen a trail of olives 🫒 there this AM.

View attachment 3468616

View attachment 3468617

View attachment 3468618

View attachment 3468619

View attachment 3468620

wait, your engine bay is leaky? Dude, we gotta talk about this.......

all of my vehicles have a pair of these under the hood

1698770647447.png

wait, your engine bay is leaky? Dude, we gotta talk about this.......

all of my vehicles have a pair of these under the hood

View attachment 3469480
Yep oil leak lol
I replaced the front crank and oil pump seal, I think (and prey) my oil leak is coming from my power steering pump, The o-ring that seals the drive gear. I'm only getting oil leaks at high RPM primarily when the OD is OFF. if that's not the root cause then its the timing chain cover. Complete power steering pump/ system update is next on my list.

Yep oil leak lol
I replaced the front crank and oil pump seal, I think (and prey) my oil leak is coming from my power steering pump, The o-ring that seals the drive gear. I'm only getting oil leaks at high RPM primarily when the OD is OFF. if that's not the root cause then its the timing chain cover. Complete power steering pump/ system update is next on my list.

On the PS pump, take a CLOSE looksie at the hard pipe connection. There's an O ring in there that was the culprit in my case.

On the PS pump, take a CLOSE looksie at the hard pipe connection. There's an O ring in there that was the culprit in my case.
its defiantly engine oil leaking, I'm assuming the PS could leak engine oil from the drive gear side

When we parked my FJ40 in a barn, in the hills, the mice were terrible. When we put moth balls in it the mice went elsewhere. We put several open boxes in the nooks and crannies. If it was a driver I would put mothballs in a sock in the engine compartment.
I try trying to avoid mothballs, they are affective. I have a few Lap-rats s***zu that allow me to chauffeur them in the 80, not sure how mothballs affect dogs.

It can not be too toxic, people reguratly use them in their houses. IF they are in the engine compartment only it should vent quickly when you start it?

My lap rat is 1/2 Bijon and 1/2 prince Charles. I never had a little dog before. It is very smart and has a lot of character. My house is not covered in shed hair. Who knew?

If anyone wants to be humane, while overseas I caught mice around the tent on the sticky traps, then put the whole thing in a zip lock bag, closed it tight. The little mouse then just goes to sleep on his way to mouse heaven.

Some idiot (see link) who occupied a tent previously had stored food in a closed off connection meant for a heat pump that couldn't be seen easily. Anyone who's been in the military knows you never bring food into the tent.

Well the mice found it, ate through the tent from below, and started a mouse colony underneath. We discovered the nests and tunnels when we pulled the tent up to move.

Point is, helps to not keep food or food wrappers in the vehicle.

Last edited:
The bucket full of water seems to be popular out where I live due to a huge population of wood and pack rats. Our snakes are lazy, apparently 🤣

If anyone wants to be humane, while overseas I caught mice around the tent on the sticky traps, then put the whole thing in a zip lock bag, closed it tight. The little mouse then just goes to sleep on his way to mouse heaven.

Some idiot (see link) who occupied a tent previously had stored food in a closed off connection meant for a heat pump that couldn't be seen easily. Anyone who's been in the military knows you never bring food into the tent.

Well the mice found it, ate through the tent from below, and started a mouse colony underneath. We discovered the nests and tunnels when we pulled the tent up to move.

Point is, helps to not keep food or food wrappers in the vehicle.

Yea i need to pull the bait out, i haven't seen any activity in 2 days since they sprung the spring trap, little Sodapop must have "F-d around and found out"

It can not be too toxic, people reguratly use them in their houses. IF they are in the engine compartment only it should vent quickly when you start it?

My lap rat is 1/2 Bijon and 1/2 prince Charles. I never had a little dog before. It is very smart and has a lot of character. My house is not covered in shed hair. Who knew?
Yep little lap rats make for good travel partners, no shedding here either. If you see an 80 series with s***zu it that's likely me. I'm actually in Morgan Hill or as I like to call it "The Gulch of Morgan Hill"

I have been using the spinner style trap for a couple years now and have caught a couple of the garage invaders. Usually just put a little peanut butter in the bait aperture on the bottom. Good luck!

spinner_mouse_trap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom