Method for trapping greaser mice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a greaser mouse living under the hood. It’s little mouse paws are generously coated with engine oil, therefore rendering my glue traps ineffective. Any advisable methods of capturing this Slick Willie? I’ll be setting spring traps tonight, perhaps I’ll pick up a small electro shock trap as well. Ordering Mint Spray also. Little bastard happily accepted my offerings without sticking around to say thanks 🤬 I think he might be climbing up the passenger side wheel. I seen a trail of olives 🫒 there this AM.

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

5 gallon bucket trap has worked better than anything else I've ever used. Take a 5 gallon bucket, drill two holes near the top directly across from each other, get a soda or beer can, drill a hole at the center of both ends (holes slightly larger than the rod), insert a length of coat hanger wire (filler rod, etc) though one hole in the bucket then through the can lengthwise and through the other side of the bucket, take a scrap of wood and make a ramp to the rim, fill the bucket with a few inches of rv antifreeze (or water if it doesn't freeze where you are), smear the can with peanut butter. Now the mice will climb the ramp scramble out to the can to get a peanut butter snack, roll off and into the water where they drown.

I don't know about inside an engine bay, but I've had decent enough luck with spring traps. I noticed one making some noise last week some time and caught him this morning. Barely got him by the tail - he just sat there looking at me like, "well this is embarrassing."

I don't know about inside an engine bay, but I've had decent enough luck with spring traps. I noticed one making some noise last week some time and caught him this morning. Barely got him by the tail - he just sat there looking at me like, "well this is embarrassing."
Yea just went to HD and picked up some spring traps and a zapper trap

5 gallon bucket trap has worked better than anything else I've ever used. Take a 5 gallon bucket, drill two holes near the top directly across from each other, get a soda or beer can, drill a hole at the center of both ends (holes slightly larger than the rod), insert a length of coat hanger wire (filler rod, etc) though one hole in the bucket then through the can lengthwise and through the other side of the bucket, take a scrap of wood and make a ramp to the rim, fill the bucket with a few inches of rv antifreeze (or water if it doesn't freeze where you are), smear the can with peanut butter. Now the mice will climb the ramp scramble out to the can to get a peanut butter snack, roll off and into the water where they drown.
Im going to make one

Another sign of the impending apocalypse - mice have learned to cover their feet in oil to defeat glue traps.

We had problems with roof rats and mice. I ended up catching some in some spring traps and our German Shepherd killed a few, but it didn't fully resolve the issue. I ended up getting bait stations and putting 'final blox' in them (the red bait, NOT the green). We haven't had any issues since.

Probably actually living on your truck, make sure the fresh air on your dash is set to recirc. That will keep them outside.
Put a regular mouse trap inside on the floor under the pedals and on the passenger side just to make sure. Mice are stupid,
they'll go for anything when hungry. They aren't suspicious like rats.
Put regular mouse traps anywhere its' level under the hood.
Leave your hood open for a couple of days, if you can. They have no where to hide, they go away. Put a box under the engine
with leaves and crap for them to nest in with a small entrance hole. They'll be in there in the morning if they are still around.

Lots of good ideas above.

Between the local cats and the (fat) snakes in my area I've never seen a mouse on the property.

Ants are a problem however, they will get into every space in the vehicle if you don't spread poison/bait frequently including on the ground around the tires, engine bay, and the door sills for a vehicle that's parked for awhile.

In another area (Mid-Atlantic states) once found seeds stored on top of the air filter can. Put a few mousetraps and poison bait stations in the engine bay and wheel wells, problem solved.

I use Tomcat Mouse Glue Trap with Eugenol, which is different from what you are using. It has super strong adhesive.

But, my go to is RinneTraps Bucket Lid that works with any 5 gallon bucket. I have caught 5 in the garage this past week.

Probably actually living on your truck, make sure the fresh air on your dash is set to recirc. That will keep them outside.
Put a regular mouse trap inside on the floor under the pedals and on the passenger side just to make sure. Mice are stupid,
they'll go for anything when hungry. They aren't suspicious like rats.
Put regular mouse traps anywhere its' level under the hood.
Leave your hood open for a couple of days, if you can. They have no where to hide, they go away. Put a box under the engine
with leaves and crap for them to nest in with a small entrance hole. They'll be in there in the morning if they are still around.
nice, this will be option B coming soon. Thanks!

Lots of good ideas above.

Between the local cats and the (fat) snakes in my area I've never seen a mouse on the property.

Ants are a problem however, they will get into every space in the vehicle if you don't spread poison/bait frequently including on the ground around the tires, engine bay, and the door sills for a vehicle that's parked for awhile.

In another area (Mid-Atlantic states) once found seeds stored on top of the air filter can. Put a few mousetraps and poison bait stations in the engine bay and wheel wells, problem solved.
I've actually been driving the vehicle 2-3 times a week and they are still partying inside

I use Tomcat Mouse Glue Trap with Eugenol, which is different from what you are using. It has super strong adhesive.

But, my go to is RinneTraps Bucket Lid that works with any 5 gallon bucket. I have caught 5 in the garage this past week.
I was suspicious of this brand glue trap, I switched to Victor last night, ill look for the Tom Cats

interesting, regular cheap Hershey's sweet chocolate? First time I've heard this bait option
Any cheapo chocolate I use a Hershey kiss. The melted chocolate fuses to the bait bar and they can't lick it off like peanut butter or cheese.

I personally think spring traps more humane than glue traps and certainly environmentally better than poison.

My setup last night, unfortunately no success, one spring trap was tripped.

Agreed springs traps are more humain than glue traps, I wouldn’t use glue traps without close monitoring and a large rock 🪨 handy.

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom