Metal Building or Wood Building ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 36 x 48 metal pole barn.
wood 6 x 6's and 2 x 6 purlins all around with steel sheeting on the sides and roof.
From a construction point it was quicker and cheaper than wood frame construction.
If your looking at all steel, they are sometimes cheaper, but I like to have some wood to drive a nail in once in a while.
Bobmo

I have a 36 x 48 metal pole barn.
wood 6 x 6's and 2 x 6 purlins all around with steel sheeting on the sides and roof.
From a construction point it was quicker and cheaper than wood frame construction.
If your looking at all steel, they are sometimes cheaper, but I like to have some wood to drive a nail in once in a while.
Bobmo

What about the life of the building? Which one is more durable and long-lasting?

longest lasting would be a concrete building...but it wouldn't be the easiest on the budget.

how big of a building are you looking at? what is your budget?

those are the two things that will likely drive the design

longest lasting would be a concrete building...but it wouldn't be the easiest on the budget.

how big of a building are you looking at? what is your budget?

those are the two things that will likely drive the design
I am looking for a 2 car garage.

I built a 30X40 shop over 15 years ago.
I welded my own girders and tied them together with angle iron then lathed the sides with 2X4's on 24 inch centers and 2X6's on the roof on 19 inch centers then covered everything with metal siding.
Lined the inside with r21 on eoof and 19 on walls.

A few years ago found some &^%$$# termites on one upper corner but they didn't seem to hurt the metal part much.
I guess I should have used treat but always heard that it should only be used for the base because of fumes.
With all the welding, painting and plasma cutting dust and fumes the treat would have been like an air freshener.

My regret other than wishing for more square footage is I went with ten foot walls.
Wish I had gone twelve.

It took 36 yards of concrete, Had to do a 5ft X 40 ft wall before the floor was pored, metal and wood, and a couple of friends that was willing to work for some BBQ and beer came to just shy of $10K .
Probably double that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom